  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
January 3, 2005 2:13:57 AM

I recently updated my windows XP Home Edition to SP2. All seemed good
until I tried to open my printer preference window. Half the window is there
the other is not, no sliders appear to give me access and the window cannot
be resized to pull more in. This is preventing me from accessing my advanced
settings and photo settings. The problem isn't just with my printer
preferences, apparently any preference type window which more that 5 inches
wide is cut off. any ideas?

More about : half window

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:26:26 PM

Hi Robert,

This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the default value (96) to some larger
value. Right click on the desktop and select properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on
advanced. On the general tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down menu. Ok your
way out. Hope this helps.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I recently updated my windows XP Home Edition to SP2. All seemed good
> until I tried to open my printer preference window. Half the window is there
> the other is not, no sliders appear to give me access and the window cannot
> be resized to pull more in. This is preventing me from accessing my advanced
> settings and photo settings. The problem isn't just with my printer
> preferences, apparently any preference type window which more that 5 inches
> wide is cut off. any ideas?

January 4, 2005 12:46:11 AM

I have the same problem.
Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
So now what??

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Robert,
>
> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the default
> value (96) to some larger value. Right click on the desktop and select
> properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on advanced. On the general
> tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down menu. Ok your
> way out. Hope this helps.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>I recently updated my windows XP Home Edition to SP2. All seemed good
>> until I tried to open my printer preference window. Half the window is
>> there
>> the other is not, no sliders appear to give me access and the window
>> cannot
>> be resized to pull more in. This is preventing me from accessing my
>> settings and photo settings. The problem isn't just with my printer
>> preferences, apparently any preference type window which more that 5
>> inches
>> wide is cut off. any ideas?

January 4, 2005 12:46:12 AM

Hi,

Instead of chaging the DPI settings to a much greater value, try setting it just to about 120DPI
(large size) and also try to set your screen resolution to a lesser value. Hope this helps.

--

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>I have the same problem.
> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
> So now what??
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:ei3$hrd8EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the default value (96) to some
>> larger value. Right click on the desktop and select properties. Flip to the settings tab and
>> click on advanced. On the general tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down
>> menu. Ok your way out. Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
>> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I recently updated my windows XP Home Edition to SP2. All seemed good
>>> until I tried to open my printer preference window. Half the window is there
>>> the other is not, no sliders appear to give me access and the window cannot
>>> be resized to pull more in. This is preventing me from accessing my advanced
>>> settings and photo settings. The problem isn't just with my printer
>>> preferences, apparently any preference type window which more that 5 inches
>>> wide is cut off. any ideas?

January 4, 2005 12:11:00 PM

I have tried _many_ settings, and my current ones _generally_ suit me fine,
although I still have big problems with things like *Properties* windows,
and with reading the screens for ZoneAl;arm, AdAware etc.

Back to the subject though...
When I get a window that is too tall for the screen, I am familiar with
using *Alt+Space*, and then *M* and then the direction keys to move the
window around, BUT, the second I touch the mouse to click on what is now
revealed at the bottom, the cursor grabs the top again ...

Arrggghhhhhhh.

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT

> Hi,
>
> Instead of chaging the DPI settings to a much greater value, try setting
> it just to about 120DPI (large size) and also try to set your screen
> resolution to a lesser value. Hope this helps.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>I have the same problem.
>> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
>> So now what??
>>

>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the
>>> default value (96) to some larger value. Right click on the desktop and
>>> select properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on advanced. On
>>> the general tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down
>>> menu. Ok your way out. Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>
>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>>

>>> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:27:55 PM

Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs were required to operate at non standard sizes.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>I have the same problem.
> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
> So now what??
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the default
>> value (96) to some larger value. Right click on the desktop and select
>> properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on advanced. On the general
>> tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down menu. Ok your
>> way out. Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
>> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I recently updated my windows XP Home Edition to SP2. All seemed good
>>> until I tried to open my printer preference window. Half the window is
>>> there
>>> the other is not, no sliders appear to give me access and the window
>>> cannot
>>> be resized to pull more in. This is preventing me from accessing my
>>> settings and photo settings. The problem isn't just with my printer
>>> preferences, apparently any preference type window which more that 5
>>> inches
>>> wide is cut off. any ideas?

January 4, 2005 12:27:56 PM

That tells me precisely zilch.
In Janet & John language _please_....

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs were
required to operate at non standard sizes.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>I have the same problem.
> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
> So now what??
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the default
>> value (96) to some larger value. Right click on the desktop and select
>> properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on advanced. On the
>> general
>> tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down menu. Ok
>> your
>> way out. Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
>> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I recently updated my windows XP Home Edition to SP2. All seemed good
>>> until I tried to open my printer preference window. Half the window is
>>> there
>>> the other is not, no sliders appear to give me access and the window
>>> cannot
>>> be resized to pull more in. This is preventing me from accessing my
>>> settings and photo settings. The problem isn't just with my printer
>>> preferences, apparently any preference type window which more that 5
>>> inches
>>> wide is cut off. any ideas?

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:06:53 AM

Don't use faulty programs.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:7WsCd.23$u_4.8@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> That tells me precisely zilch.
> In Janet & John language _please_....
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs were
> required to operate at non standard sizes.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>I have the same problem.
>> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
>> So now what??
>>

>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the default
>>> value (96) to some larger value. Right click on the desktop and select
>>> properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on advanced. On the
>>> general
>>> tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down menu. Ok
>>> your
>>> way out. Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>
>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>>

>>> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

January 5, 2005 12:06:54 AM

Like WindowXP you mean?

Don't use faulty programs.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> That tells me precisely zilch.
> In Janet & John language _please_....
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs
> were
> required to operate at non standard sizes.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>I have the same problem.
>> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
>> So now what??
>>

>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> This might happen if you have increased the DPI settings from the
>>> default
>>> value (96) to some larger value. Right click on the desktop and select
>>> properties. Flip to the settings tab and click on advanced. On the
>>> general
>>> tab, select Normal size (96) from the DPI settings drop-down menu. Ok
>>> your
>>> way out. Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>
>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>>

>>> "Robert Follis" <rjfollis@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o og8otV8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 4:02:17 AM

The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o your program has had 12 years to update itself.
http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:qhwCd.342$8C4.216@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> Like WindowXP you mean?
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Don't use faulty programs.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> That tells me precisely zilch.
>> In Janet & John language _please_....
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs
>> were
>> required to operate at non standard sizes.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>>I have the same problem.
>>> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
>>> So now what??
>>>

>>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message

January 5, 2005 4:02:18 AM

I give up.
I haven't a clue what you are on about!

The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o your
program has had 12 years to update itself.
http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Like WindowXP you mean?
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Don't use faulty programs.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> That tells me precisely zilch.
>> In Janet & John language _please_....
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs
>> were
>> required to operate at non standard sizes.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>>I have the same problem.
>>> Unfortunately, if I reduce to 96 dpi (from 150%) I can't read it...
>>> So now what??
>>>

>>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:14:53 AM

It's probably why you are an idiot.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:0cyCd.194$9H4.141@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>I give up.
> I haven't a clue what you are on about!
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o your
> program has had 12 years to update itself.
> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Like WindowXP you mean?
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> Don't use faulty programs.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> That tells me precisely zilch.
>>> In Janet & John language _please_....
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs
>>> were
>>> required to operate at non standard sizes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

January 5, 2005 5:14:54 AM

No, just old and partially sighted.
I no longer have the patience to cope with people like you.
I will refrain from being rude in return.

It's probably why you are an idiot.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I give up.
> I haven't a clue what you are on about!
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o
> your
> program has had 12 years to update itself.
> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Like WindowXP you mean?
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> Don't use faulty programs.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> That tells me precisely zilch.
>>> In Janet & John language _please_....
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> news:o e1j$Ne8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Install compatable software. It's been at least 12 years since dialogs
>>> were
>>> required to operate at non standard sizes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 2jCd.229$WG4.221@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:57:16 AM

Old and stupid. What is so difficult about understanding that you buy faulty programs.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:G9zCd.379$eB6.146@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> No, just old and partially sighted.
> I no longer have the patience to cope with people like you.
> I will refrain from being rude in return.
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> It's probably why you are an idiot.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I give up.
>> I haven't a clue what you are on about!
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o
>> your
>> program has had 12 years to update itself.
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Like WindowXP you mean?
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> Don't use faulty programs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

January 5, 2005 7:57:17 AM

Nothing...,except that I am still waiting for you, in yoiur apparently
infinite wisdom, to tell me those which I must avoid.
..

Old and stupid. What is so difficult about understanding that you buy faulty
programs.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> No, just old and partially sighted.
> I no longer have the patience to cope with people like you.
> I will refrain from being rude in return.
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> It's probably why you are an idiot.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I give up.
>> I haven't a clue what you are on about!
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o
>> your
>> program has had 12 years to update itself.
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Like WindowXP you mean?
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> Don't use faulty programs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:00:14 AM

Anything written in Delphi for a start.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:rpBCd.2401$eB6.2035@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Nothing...,except that I am still waiting for you, in yoiur apparently
> infinite wisdom, to tell me those which I must avoid.
> .
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Old and stupid. What is so difficult about understanding that you buy faulty
> programs.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> No, just old and partially sighted.
>> I no longer have the patience to cope with people like you.
>> I will refrain from being rude in return.
>>

>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> It's probably why you are an idiot.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I give up.
>>> I haven't a clue what you are on about!
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o
>>> your
>>> program has had 12 years to update itself.
>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

January 5, 2005 10:00:15 AM

WTF would you expect me, and probably at least 90% of other end users to
know (or even care) what language a particular piece of software is written
in?
Stop showing off FFS, and either help or do the other thing.

Anything written in Delphi for a start.

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Nothing...,except that I am still waiting for you, in yoiur apparently
> infinite wisdom, to tell me those which I must avoid.
> .
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Old and stupid. What is so difficult about understanding that you buy
> faulty
> programs.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> No, just old and partially sighted.
>> I no longer have the patience to cope with people like you.
>> I will refrain from being rude in return.
>>

>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> It's probably why you are an idiot.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I give up.
>>> I haven't a clue what you are on about!
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> The feature was introduced in Windows 3.1 at least. That was in 1982. o
>>> your
>>> program has had 12 years to update itself.
>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:49:01 AM

wow kinda makes you not want to ask anything ...what is FFS

"zulu" wrote:

> WTF would you expect me, and probably at least 90% of other end users to
> know (or even care) what language a particular piece of software is written
> in?
> Stop showing off FFS, and either help or do the other thing.
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Anything written in Delphi for a start.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Nothing...,except that I am still waiting for you, in yoiur apparently
> > infinite wisdom, to tell me those which I must avoid.
> > .
> >
> > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> > Old and stupid. What is so difficult about understanding that you buy
> > faulty
> > programs.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.uscricket.com
> > "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> No, just old and partially sighted.
> >> I no longer have the patience to cope with people like you.
> >> I will refrain from being rude in return.
> >>

> >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> >> It's probably why you are an idiot.
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.uscricket.com
> >> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:40:06 AM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
| Hiya Nonnymouse :-)
|
| msnews////Accessabilty was where I migrated _here_ from...
| I've had _far_ more help here (with one notable exexeption) ;-(

These people do not realise that their abilities, too, will
eventually diminish (assuming that they will live that long).
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:00:13 PM

"David Candy" <.> wrote:
| Dialog boxes specify their own font.
| This is the Are You Sure You Want To Delete? dialog
|
| It is specified with an 8 pt style
| FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"

.... which IS an acessibility/usability issue. A user would need a resource editor to change every system file containing these
hard-coded fonts, only to be reverted on some future Windows Update or by Windows File Protection.

There is no practical solution for a user such as Zulu.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:11:14 PM

He can always change his resolution.

http://www.uscricket.com
"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23T48LRF9EHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "David Candy" <.> wrote:
> | Dialog boxes specify their own font.
> | This is the Are You Sure You Want To Delete? dialog
> |
> | It is specified with an 8 pt style
> | FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"
>
> ... which IS an acessibility/usability issue. A user would need a resource editor to change every system file containing these
> hard-coded fonts, only to be reverted on some future Windows Update or by Windows File Protection.
>
> There is no practical solution for a user such as Zulu.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:11:15 PM

"David Candy" <.> wrote:
| He can always change his resolution.

I have already suggested that to him, however, with all the "noise" in this newsgroup, I do not recall if he actually tried that.
Fortunately for him, he has a (large) CRT monitor. If he had a fixed-pixel screen, then he would be stuck with the native screen
resolution if he wanted optimum clarity.
January 7, 2005 3:11:16 PM

Oh what fun :-)
Thank you for coming to my defence!
On reading your responses to *that rude person* I have felt the need to
(temporarily) resuscitate him, although I refuse to converse further lest I
get cross again...

Surely this n/g exists to advise people who _are_ , in the true sense of the
word, ignorant of how to achieve the customisation they desire?
If they already had the expertise he seems to expect, why would they come
here in the first place!

FWIW I _did_ try 800 x 600, and yes, it helped in some ways, but I felt
that although I had gained on the swings, I had lost even more the
roundabouts, so I therefore reverted to 1024 x 768.

As for the 21 inch CRT that was a deliberate choice for that very reason.

I shall follow this thread with interest!

--

> "David Candy" <.> wrote:
> | He can always change his resolution.
>
> I have already suggested that to him, however, with all the "noise" in
> this newsgroup, I do not recall if he actually tried that.
> Fortunately for him, he has a (large) CRT monitor. If he had a
> fixed-pixel screen, then he would be stuck with the native screen
> resolution if he wanted optimum clarity.

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:12:54 PM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
| Surely this n/g exists to advise people who _are_ , in the true sense of the
| word, ignorant of how to achieve the customisation they desire?
| If they already had the expertise he seems to expect, why would they come
| here in the first place!
|
| FWIW I _did_ try 800 x 600, and yes, it helped in some ways, but I felt
| that although I had gained on the swings, I had lost even more the
| roundabouts, so I therefore reverted to 1024 x 768.
|
| As for the 21 inch CRT that was a deliberate choice for that very reason.
|
| I shall follow this thread with interest!
|
| --
| ¦ zulu ¦
| Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
| 150DPI

There is an (unenforcd) acceptable use policy for these newsgroups.

Here is a working set for you:

2. Choose a comfortable screen resolution.
3. Use XP Accessibility Magnifier.

XP was not designed with Zulu in mind.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:23:42 PM

There is also the Deskbar magnifier
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:JpFssgVGp4YJ:ww...
http://www.uscricket.com
"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23%23qY45Q9EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> | Surely this n/g exists to advise people who _are_ , in the true sense of the
> | word, ignorant of how to achieve the customisation they desire?
> | If they already had the expertise he seems to expect, why would they come
> | here in the first place!
> |
> | FWIW I _did_ try 800 x 600, and yes, it helped in some ways, but I felt
> | that although I had gained on the swings, I had lost even more the
> | roundabouts, so I therefore reverted to 1024 x 768.
> |
> | As for the 21 inch CRT that was a deliberate choice for that very reason.
> |
> | I shall follow this thread with interest!
> |
> | --
> | ¦ zulu ¦
> | Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> | 150DPI
>
> There is an (unenforcd) acceptable use policy for these newsgroups.
>
> Here is a working set for you:

> 2. Choose a comfortable screen resolution.
> 3. Use XP Accessibility Magnifier.
>
> XP was not designed with Zulu in mind.

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:54:53 AM

If he want IE content at any size I can help too.

Dialog fonts are virtual fonts (at least for current MS programs).

Here is where MS Shell Dlg is actually mapped to a font.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

Different fonts are different sizes (at the same point size). He may fine some fonts clearer than others. But beware, this is like the DPI thing. Dialogs generally don't expect their fonts to change. If it's written to the latest standards it's be fine (but so would 120 dpi). Still a lot of programs won't use this particular font so changes may be acceptable. But it's up to the dialog box.

http://www.uscricket.com
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:o WMJy$Q9EHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
There is also the Deskbar magnifier
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:JpFssgVGp4YJ:ww...
http://www.uscricket.com
"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23%23qY45Q9EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> | Surely this n/g exists to advise people who _are_ , in the true sense of the
> | word, ignorant of how to achieve the customisation they desire?
> | If they already had the expertise he seems to expect, why would they come
> | here in the first place!
> |
> | FWIW I _did_ try 800 x 600, and yes, it helped in some ways, but I felt
> | that although I had gained on the swings, I had lost even more the
> | roundabouts, so I therefore reverted to 1024 x 768.
> |
> | As for the 21 inch CRT that was a deliberate choice for that very reason.
> |
> | I shall follow this thread with interest!
> |
> | --
> | ¦ zulu ¦
> | Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> | 150DPI
>
> There is an (unenforcd) acceptable use policy for these newsgroups.
>
> Here is a working set for you:

> 2. Choose a comfortable screen resolution.
> 3. Use XP Accessibility Magnifier.
>
> XP was not designed with Zulu in mind.

February 25, 2005 3:26:38 AM

Why is it that the time posted by program consistently is 3-4 minutes
ahead of the time in the task bar? It always is.

Thanks
February 25, 2005 3:28:00 AM

!