uzayr99

Honorable
May 13, 2012
So , i recently bought the AMD Phenom II X4 960T black edition , and when i installed it i found that my PC was automatically turning off. Now the CPU is on my Motherboards compatibility list , so that wasn't a problem , and i checked that it wasn't my PSU by taking out my GPU and turning it on , it still turned off. I'm sure i wired it correctly as when putting in my old CPU , the pc wouldn't turn off by its self.

Specs:
450W Psu
Radeon HD 5770 1gb
Amd athlon II x2 250
8gb DDR3 ram @1600
Motherboard :http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/
Any help appreciated

uzayr99

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Forgot to mention that it shutdowns after a couple seconds , whether i choose to go into the bios or boot into windows

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The CPU heatsink being hot is a good sign but it being really hot isn't.

Have you tried using the old fan (just the old fan not the heatsink), if not can you try it?

Leave the heatsink attached, thats fine.

uzayr99

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Sorry for late reply.

I tried that , but same thing happened , but one thing i have noticed is that if i leave it off for a while , it tends to stay on longer b y about 10-12 seconds.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Have you tried updating the bios?

You can try using the old CPU but you will need new thermal paste and you will need to clean off the old paste of the heatsink if you are changing the CPU.

uzayr99

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Ayt , updated the Bios to latest (though my current version said it supported the 960t)

Can't put the CPU in yet , sorry bout that probably can't do it till tomorrow or Saturday at the latest

uzayr99

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Ok , sorry for the LATE reply but i'm pretty sure i've narrowed it down to the CPU overheating , any way to stop that happening? I'm thinking of getting a better fan for it , but i'm a little short on money atm so wondering if there's any other way to prevent overheating.

Again sorry and help appreciated

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Well you can get cheap replacements.

I think the fan should be spinning at full speed if it was overheating.

You can open the case and point a desk fan to the heatsink and see what that does.