Why does services.msc report "Access is denied"

Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free system
resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as Administrator, I ran
Start->Run->services.msc

But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
services.msc Access is denied.

Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from the pop-up menu
and then under "Services & Applications" in the left pane of the forthcoming
"Computer Management" window I click on "Services" which seems to show those
services in the right pane (starting with "Office Source Engine").

Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run services.msc?
12 answers Last reply
More about services report access denied
  1. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Depends on what you have done before following "this" advice.

    --
    Happy New Year,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Charlie Hauper" <HauperC@DELETETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free system
    > resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as Administrator, I ran
    > Start->Run->services.msc
    >
    > But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
    > services.msc Access is denied.
    >
    > Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from the pop-up
    > menu
    > and then under "Services & Applications" in the left pane of the
    > forthcoming
    > "Computer Management" window I click on "Services" which seems to show
    > those
    > services in the right pane (starting with "Office Source Engine").
    >
    > Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run services.msc?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    What is that web site and what 'help' did it give you?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Charlie Hauper" <HauperC@DELETETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free system
    > resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as Administrator, I ran
    > Start->Run->services.msc
    >
    > But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
    > services.msc Access is denied.
    >
    > Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from the pop-up
    > menu
    > and then under "Services & Applications" in the left pane of the
    > forthcoming
    > "Computer Management" window I click on "Services" which seems to show
    > those
    > services in the right pane (starting with "Office Source Engine").
    >
    > Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run services.msc?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    It is indeed a heroic endeavor to try improving Windows
    Xtra Problems, but I don't see how it relates to VB.

    There's a site I've come across that could be useful:
    www.blackviper.com

    There's also this page that provides a rundown of
    XP services from a security point of view:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/02/winxpsp2_security_review/

    Someone else would know more about this than I do,
    but I have noticed that in WinXP "administrator" does not
    always mean "administrator". There seem to be extra levels
    of "safety features" involved. I wonder if you might need to
    log in as the original admin.?

    --
    _____________________________

    mayayXXana1a@mindYYspring.com
    For return email remove XX and YY.
    _____________________________
    Charlie Hauper <HauperC@DELETETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free system
    > resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as Administrator, I ran
    > Start->Run->services.msc
    >
    > But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
    > services.msc Access is denied.
    >
    > Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from the pop-up
    menu
    > and then under "Services & Applications" in the left pane of the
    forthcoming
    > "Computer Management" window I click on "Services" which seems to show
    those
    > services in the right pane (starting with "Office Source Engine").
    >
    > Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run services.msc?
  4. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "mayayana" <mayaXXyana1a@mindYYspring.com> wrote in message
    > It is indeed a heroic endeavor to try improving Windows
    > Xtra Problems, but I don't see how it relates to VB.

    Of course it relates to VB. It is a VB shell function

    "%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s"

    Or paste this below into a file with a vbs extension and then doubleclick on
    that vbs file to restor functdionality of the errant windows xp system
    services.

    'Enable Registry Editing
    '© Veegertx - 06/27/2003
    'This code may be freely distributed/modified
    On Error Resume Next
    'Prevents errors from values that don't exist
    'Delete DisableRegistryTools registry values

    WshShell.RegDelete

    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"

    WshShell.RegDelete

    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
    'display message
    Message = "You should have access to Regedit now"

    X = MsgBox(Message, vbOKOnly, "Done")
    Set WshShell = Nothing
    Set fso = Nothing
  5. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:
    | What is that web site and what 'help' did it give you?

    That site merely explains how to disable a service, nothing more.

    <quote>
    1. Click the start button.
    2. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
    3. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
    4. etc...
    </quote>

    Other people suggest "Start->Run->services.msc /s"

    In XP SP1, running with or without the "/s" switch both allow access in an
    admin account.

    What is the function of the "/s" switch?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >| "Charlie Hauper" <HauperC@DELETETHIS.net> wrote :
    > | > Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free system
    > | > resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as Administrator, I
    > ran
    > | > Start->Run->services.msc
    > | >
    > | > But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
    > | > services.msc Access is denied.
    > | >
    > | > Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from the
    > pop-up
    > | > menu
    > | > and then under "Services & Applications" in the left pane of the
    > | > forthcoming
    > | > "Computer Management" window I click on "Services" which seems to show
    > | > those
    > | > services in the right pane (starting with "Office Source Engine").
    > | >
    > | > Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run
    > services.msc?
    >
    > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:
    > | What is that web site and what 'help' did it give you?
    >

    > That site merely explains how to disable a service, nothing more.
    >
    > <quote>
    > 1. Click the start button.
    > 2. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
    > 3. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
    > 4. etc...
    > </quote>
    >
    > Other people suggest "Start->Run->services.msc /s"
    >
    > In XP SP1, running with or without the "/s" switch both allow access in an
    > admin account.
    >
    > What is the function of the "/s" switch?

    And that helps who????

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups
  7. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    /S Strip quote characters from the command_line

    --
    Happy New Year,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >| "Charlie Hauper" <HauperC@DELETETHIS.net> wrote :
    > | > Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free system
    > | > resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as Administrator, I
    > ran
    > | > Start->Run->services.msc
    > | >
    > | > But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
    > | > services.msc Access is denied.
    > | >
    > | > Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from the
    > pop-up
    > | > menu
    > | > and then under "Services & Applications" in the left pane of the
    > | > forthcoming
    > | > "Computer Management" window I click on "Services" which seems to show
    > | > those
    > | > services in the right pane (starting with "Office Source Engine").
    > | >
    > | > Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run
    > services.msc?
    >
    > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:
    > | What is that web site and what 'help' did it give you?
    >

    > That site merely explains how to disable a service, nothing more.
    >
    > <quote>
    > 1. Click the start button.
    > 2. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
    > 3. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
    > 4. etc...
    > </quote>
    >
    > Other people suggest "Start->Run->services.msc /s"
    >
    > In XP SP1, running with or without the "/s" switch both allow access in an
    > admin account.
    >
    > What is the function of the "/s" switch?

  8. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Orak Listalavostok" <oraklistal@yahoo.com> wrote:
    | > I have noticed that in WinXP "administrator" does not
    | > always mean "administrator". There seem to be extra levels
    | > of "safety features" involved. I wonder if you might need to
    | > log in as the original admin.?

    <snip>

    | I too was logged in as Administrator (& have not tweaked anything).
    |
    | 1. How do I confirm if administrator is not the "original"
    | administrator?
    | 2. How does one then force a login as the "original" administrator?

    1. If you login to "Administrator" account with the password for the
    "Administrator" account, then you should be in the original
    "Administrator" account.

    Once a user account has been created, the original "Administrator"
    account will no longer appear as a choice on the Welcome screen.

    To show the original "Administrator" account as a choice on the
    Welcome screen:

    TweakUI for XP v2.10
    Logon
    [Y] Show "Administrator" on Welcome screen

    2. Logon the original "Administrator" account. Then:

    TweakUI for XP v2.10
    Logon
    AutoLogon
    [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    [Set Password]
  9. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Another way of accessing the built-in administrator account is to tap CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
    welcome screen. This will bring up the classic windows logon prompt and here one can enter the
    username as 'Administrator', supply the correct password and thus logon.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > "Orak Listalavostok" <oraklistal@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > | > I have noticed that in WinXP "administrator" does not
    > | > always mean "administrator". There seem to be extra levels
    > | > of "safety features" involved. I wonder if you might need to
    > | > log in as the original admin.?
    > |
    > <snip>
    > |
    > | I too was logged in as Administrator (& have not tweaked anything).
    > |
    > | 1. How do I confirm if administrator is not the "original"
    > | administrator?
    > | 2. How does one then force a login as the "original" administrator?
    >

    > 1. If you login to "Administrator" account with the password for the
    > "Administrator" account, then you should be in the original
    > "Administrator" account.
    >
    > Once a user account has been created, the original "Administrator"
    > account will no longer appear as a choice on the Welcome screen.
    >
    > To show the original "Administrator" account as a choice on the
    > Welcome screen:
    >
    > TweakUI for XP v2.10
    > Logon
    > [Y] Show "Administrator" on Welcome screen
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > 2. Logon the original "Administrator" account. Then:
    >
    > TweakUI for XP v2.10
    > Logon
    > AutoLogon
    > [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    > [Set Password]

  10. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Charlie Hauper" <HauperC@DELETETHIS.net> wrote :
    | Following instructions to disable unnecessary services to free
    | system resources at http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx as
    | Administrator, I ran Start->Run->services.msc
    |
    | But that only brings up a tiny error form saying:
    | services.msc Access is denied.
    |
    | Yet I can right-click on "My Computer" and hit "Manage" from
    | the pop-up menu and then under "Services & Applications"
    | in the left pane of the forthcoming "Computer Management"
    | window I click on "Services" which seems to show those
    | services in the right pane
    | (starting with "Office Source Engine").
    |
    | Why then does WinXP SP2 say "Access is denied" when I run
    | services.msc?

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:
    | What is that web site and what 'help' did it give you?

    | "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | That site merely explains how to disable a service, nothing more.
    |
    | <quote>
    | 1. Click the start button.
    | 2. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
    | 3. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
    | 4. etc...
    | </quote>
    |
    | Other people suggest "Start->Run->services.msc /s"
    |
    | In XP SP1, running with or without the "/s" switch both allow
    | access in an admin account.
    |
    | What is the function of the "/s" switch?

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:
    | And that helps who?

    What exactly is the "that" to which you refer?

    I explained what that site is. Look there yourself.

    I asked you for the function of the "/s" switch. No answer.

    The original poster tried Start->Run->services.msc but that
    only brings up an error.

    What is so difficult for you to understand in this thread?
  11. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > I asked you for the function of the "/s" switch.

    Usually that means "silent", but I'm not certain that there
    aren't other meanings.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.software-eng,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    | /S Strip quote characters from the command_line
    |
    | --
    | Happy New Year,
    | Kelly (MS-MVP)
    |
    | Troubleshooting Windows XP
    | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Thank you.

Configuration Computers Microsoft Windows XP