Windows 7 Freezes on Startup

bbhuey99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Weird one guys. When I start up WIndows 7 - 64b, my machine locks up during startup. I have narrowed it down to my PCI-e USB card. When I unplug the card, all is well. When I reinstall it, it freezes every time. My question is how do I correct it? I really need the card to increase the number of usb slots on my system.

bbhuey99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys but none of these apply. The MB Bios and drivers have been updated (after I got the issues so neither old nor new worked). There is no separate power supply connection and my power supply is a 1000w Corsair, which is more than adequate for my power needs.

I'm purchasing a standard PCI card to help. I know that when I had it installed during the fresh Win 7 install, it would not work with the PCIe card installed then. Maybe it's just a dead card, but I find it odd that it worked prior to the fresh install.

CLondoner

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

how old is your usb card? Did it come with Win 7 drivers? If not either download win 7 drivers from the manufacturer's website or go purchase another more up to date usb card. Get one that is usb 3.0 becasue they are backward compatible and you are ready to use your older usb devices as well as prepared for the future 3.0 usb devices.