Sign in with
Your question

GPU not working while plugged into motherboard.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2012 1:49:03 PM

Hi there, I'm in the middle of my first PC build and I've come across a problem that I need some help with.

My GPU appears to be working fine unless it is inserted into the slot on my motherboard. The fan spins for a half second then instantly stops. The rest of the motherboard doesn't appear
to hinder at all.

I'm running the motherboard without any unnecessary attachments. Just bare with CPU, heatsink, GPU, RAM and needed power cables.

CPU: Intel i5 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-VLE
GPU: Gigabyte ATI HD6770

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any more information needed to access the problem. I've posted to several forums and will update thus post if solved.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 1:53:11 PM

What is the make/model of your PSU?

Have you tryed the card in another PC?
March 20, 2012 2:06:45 PM

PSU: SilverStone 750W SST-ST75F-P

I don't currently have another PC available to test on.
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 2:09:32 PM

How do you know it's working fine then?

So the CPU graphics work fine right? Just the card doesn't work?

If that's the case I would say that you have a defective card.But without another PC to test it with theirs no way of knowing for sure.
March 20, 2012 2:16:55 PM

purple stank said:
How do you know it's working fine then?

So the CPU graphics work fine right? Just the card doesn't work?

If that's the case I would say that you have a defective card.But without another PC to test it with theirs no way of knowing for sure.

I've used the card on my previous computer. It is relatively new and worked fine. Unless something happened to it during moving it from my old computer to new computer, it should be fine. I'm careful with the pieces.

The motherboard is also conpletely new.

If the only way to test it is using another PC, I'm sure I can find a way.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 2:23:18 PM

Yah this is where it gets tricky in troubleshooting.Because it worked previously then now it could mean your motherboard is to blame.The best thing you can do is try to see if you can get the card to work in another PC.
March 20, 2012 2:33:34 PM

Also to add, the motherboard had two PCI slots and the GPU doesn't work in either of them, if it makes any difference.

Thank you for your support none the less! Will come back to this thread if it is resolved.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 2:35:39 PM

Your talking about the previous motherboard you used the card in? PCI slots or PCI-E slots?
March 20, 2012 2:44:41 PM

purple stank said:
Your talking about the previous motherboard you used the card in? PCI slots or PCI-E slots?

The motherboard I'm using has two PCI-E slots which neither work with the GPU.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 3:08:06 PM

So your talking about your current motherboard,ok.Usually only the top slot will work if only 1 card is installed.
March 20, 2012 3:11:06 PM

purple stank said:
So your talking about your current motherboard,ok.Usually only the top slot will work if only 1 card is installed.

Okay so that makes no difference then. I'll focus on trying another motherboard and GPU to assess the problem if I can.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 3:17:59 PM

Alright.Just post back once you've tested.
!