Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my graphics card or processor first?

Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2012 10:27:00 PM

I can only give limited info about my computer at the moment because I'm away from it and writing this from my iPod. Basically, I like to play open world games such as GTA 4 or Arma II (DayZ) and first person shooters such as BattleField 3 and MW3, but playing some of these games is quite a poor experience for me because my FPS isn't the greatest. Obviously I've tried turning settings down to improve performance, but they're turned down so much to a point where the game looks unappealing, and on some games it doesn't even help! Now I know games aren't all graphics, but I would like to play the game at max settings to enjoy it as much as possible (if that makes sense). I don't have much money and I want to know what to upgrade first, my nVidia GTX 550 Ti or my AMD FX-6 6100 Black edition. It's not the best I know, but it's better than my laptop. The only problem is, I'm not sure if my PSU is large enough to handle a bigger graphics card, and if i upgrade my processor, I'll most likely have to buy a new motherboard aswell because from what I've seen intel beat AMD in terms of power and performance. I'll be able to give more information about my PC tomorrow and hopefully answer any comments or questions if people actually respond. Thank you :) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 10:42:48 PM

I generally recommend upgrading the graphics card first (for games).

But it would help to know where you are now with both your CPU and GPU, so that we know which direction to point you in.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 10, 2012 11:39:58 PM

Since games are more graphic dependent I would upgrade the video card first but really if you are going to upgrade both it really doesn't matter.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 1:30:26 AM

Sorry, I just thought of another problem in response to my OP, and that's money. I'm not exactly swimming in piles of it at the moment so what should I do? Should I just get the processor and motherboard first and play some DayZ (my processor is the only thing holding me back for that, too much stuff loaded up at one time) and minecraft? Or should I just save and save for the graphics card if so which one? Is there anywhere that sells cheap that I could buy from here in thr UK?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 1:53:40 AM

I'd upgrade the GPU. Sell the 550Ti and get the 7850.
m
l
!