Sign in with
Your question

"Kepler"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2012 3:57:43 PM

Heard and read rumours about this "Kepler" line of nVidia graphics card, GTX680

What is "Kepler"?
Will it make a really big difference in games like BF3?
Do you think the prices of GTX5** will go down when this new line comes out?

Thanks

More about : kepler

March 20, 2012 4:11:53 PM

1. Kepler is simply the name for a family of graphics chips, just like Fermi before it.
2. Hard to say, the only video comparing performance cheated by using different types of AA filtering, so maybe, maybe not.
3. Nope, Nvidia and AMD struck a deal to increase the next lines prices, the GTX 660 will cost the same as a 570 and so on.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 4:12:09 PM

it wont make a huge difference. it will be vary nice and i wont turn one down if given to me but it wont make my upgrade from my 7970. there is so many rumors of how fast it will be and they vary from just a little faster than the 7970 to being 3 times a 580. so ill just wait and see.

if nvidia was smart they would do what amd did and stop making the 500 series and only sell the 600 series. the silicon is cheaper that way and profits go up. but this will make the 500 series hard to get and therefore more expensive. Nvidia just did a price drop on the 580s so dont expect that price to change for a bit.
Related resources
March 20, 2012 4:32:36 PM

2. Hard to say, the only video comparing performance cheated by using different types of AA filtering, so maybe, maybe not.

This is completely incorrect. There was no "cheating". It's called FXAA, a NEW type of anti-aliasing, google it. And obviously by the performance in that video, it deems FXAA worthy and once again trumps ATI's AA.

The Kepler series should be good though. I saw a leaked doc, I think it's here on Toms, and it places the first Kepler card (660?) at around a 20% gain in performance over the 7970... If that is reproduced once it's released then Nvidia once again has the throne.

a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 4:35:57 PM

i love speculations
just wait for the benchmarks when the card is released
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 4:39:53 PM

There's 29 pages of speculation you can read stickied to the top of this forum ;) 
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 5:12:05 PM

therogerwilco said:

This is completely incorrect. There was no "cheating". It's called FXAA, a NEW type of anti-aliasing, google it. And obviously by the performance in that video, it deems FXAA worthy and once again trumps ATI's AA.

The Kepler series should be good though. I saw a leaked doc, I think it's here on Toms, and it places the first Kepler card (660?) at around a 20% gain in performance over the 7970... If that is reproduced once it's released then Nvidia once again has the throne.

If you, yourself, had googled FXAA, you would find that it is different than traditional AA. Here is an informative article explaining some of the differences.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/12/fast-approxima...

FXAA is a feature of the Kepler. Compatibility with this feature does not mean that Kepler is more powerful or less powerful. It is simple an enabled feature. If you want to compared performance, then you will need a direct comparison using the same settings. You cannot compare an nVidia card using FXAA to AMD using regular AA, the cards are utilized completely different in these scenarios. This is not to say that FXAA is a bad thing. In fact, it is going to be the wave future. But, you know that AMD is working on bringing this to its Radeon line-up. All new cards will have FXAA soon.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 5:38:53 PM

Actually that's wrong. FXAA was indeed created by Nvidia, but it works on AMD cards as well. For a glaring example just look to Skyrim. FXAA is a type of AA.

Another type of AA is Multisample AA (MSAA) which has been around for a long time. It does a decent job but it's very resource demanding

Then you have Supersample AA (SSAA) which is even more demanding.

AMD then released Adaptive AA (AMSAA) which is kind of similar to Nvidia's Transparent AA. AMD also has morphological AA, which is kind of similar to FXAA but has a bigger performance hit (FXAA has very little performance hit).

The new AA released by Nvidia and is exclusive to Kepler is TXAA. TXAA 1 is similar to 16xMSAA in terms of quality and 2xMSAA in terms of performance penalty. TXAA 2 is even better than that, with around a 4xMSAA performance hit.

http://www.techpowerup.com/162504/NVIDIA-s-New-AA-Algo-...
March 20, 2012 6:31:30 PM

therogerwilco said:

Ofcourse they will take over the throne, because of one simple reason, they release their card almost 4 months after AMD!
March 20, 2012 7:47:41 PM

Releasing something later is not a good thing in computer business, still the date was set a year ago and they stick with it so its a normal release.

also "ofcourse" is a very strict word, things change... (according to last rummor i heard) Nvidia is tripling the shader numbers and keeping most of the "hot clocks", which can very easy turn a gpu into a stove. Performance means nothing if it cant sustain that level.
March 20, 2012 7:53:36 PM

Hazbot said:
3. Nope, Nvidia and AMD struck a deal to increase the next lines prices, the GTX 660 will cost the same as a 570 and so on.

So you're saying that when they release the GTX6**, the GTX5** equivalent to that card will no longer be available?
Or you're saying that they will both have the same price but one will be faster than the other?

a c 388 Î Nvidia
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 8:19:33 PM

wrenaudrey said:
Heard and read rumours about this "Kepler" line of nVidia graphics card, GTX680

What is "Kepler"?
Will it make a really big difference in games like BF3?
Do you think the prices of GTX5** will go down when this new line comes out?

Thanks

I thought I'd take a stab at your original questions:
- Kepler is the name for the 600 series Nvidia cards being produced un the 28 nm fabrication process (Fermi 400 and 500 series were on the 40 nm fabrication process). Smaller circuits mean less heat and power consumption and greater overclocking potential. The most interesting thing about the upcoming GTX 680 is that it is the GK104 GPU, which is actually the mid-range Kepler chip. The high-end GK110 chip is expected in a few months.
- Kepler cards will also have higher transistor counts due to the smaller fabrication (you can cram more processing power onto the same or smaller space). Leaked benchmarks have shown a 40% increase in BF3 for the GTX 680 vs the GTX 580 (77 fps vs. 55 fps @ 1080 w/4x AA).
- The prices of the GTX 500 series cards have been coming down dramatically over the past couple weeks. You can now get a GTX 580 for a low as $370 on Newegg. After March 22-23, when the GTX 680 is released, I expect the trend to continue. The latest report had the pricing of the GTX 680 at $499.
March 20, 2012 8:35:31 PM

17seconds said:
I thought I'd take a stab at your original questions:
- Kepler is the name for the 600 series Nvidia cards being produced un the 28 nm fabrication process (Fermi 400 and 500 series were on the 40 nm fabrication process). Smaller circuits mean less heat and power consumption and greater overclocking potential. The most interesting thing about the upcoming GTX 680 is that it is the GK104 GPU, which is actually the mid-range Kepler chip. The high-end GK110 chip is expected in a few months.
- Kepler cards will also have higher transistor counts due to the smaller fabrication (you can cram more processing power onto the same or smaller space). Leaked benchmarks have shown a 40% increase in BF3 for the GTX 680 vs the GTX 580 (77 fps vs. 55 fps @ 1080 w/4x AA).
- The prices of the GTX 500 series cards have been coming down dramatically over the past couple weeks. You can now get a GTX 580 for a low as $370 on Newegg. After March 22-23, when the GTX 680 is released, I expect the trend to continue. The latest report had the pricing of the GTX 680 at $499.

thank you. best answer. explained everything. answered everything. thank you.
March 20, 2012 8:45:08 PM

Tom's Review got leaked online...So benchmarks have been seen...680 is outperforming based on these reviews by 10-20% and seem to have better power/heat.

From the benches kepler seems to be doing really well in games like wow which inflated the scores to keplers favor. Until the official release of these benches we will not know. But atm 7970 and 680 seem to be very very similar in performance with a slight edge going to the 680. The thing we should all be caring about is the price of the cards which is rumored to be around $550. We hope with the added performance and cooler temps that this will push the 7970 prices down.

*This is fact and had links to tom's site until they were discovered. I will not post here but there available if you search.
March 21, 2012 4:19:33 AM

therogerwilco said:

Yes it used FxAA, but int that video the 3 GTXs used MSAA, which is significantly more demanding and less visual, so the 580s looked like they were less powerful, especially since the 600 series seem to built for FxAA. The rumor that a 660 has a 20% increase over the 7970 is probably donkeyballs, that would imply that the 660 is 4 times more powerful than the 580, and I am not buying that for one second.
March 21, 2012 4:24:38 AM

Hazbot said:
Yes it used FxAA, but int that video the 3 GTXs used MSAA, which is significantly more demanding and less visual, so the 580s looked like they were less powerful, especially since the 600 series seem to built for FxAA. The rumor that a 660 has a 20% increase over the 7970 is probably donkeyballs, that would imply that the 660 is 4 times more powerful than the 580, and I am not buying that for one second.

therogerwilco said:

a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 21, 2012 1:29:24 PM

Again... it is not FXAA. 600 series are getting TXAA
!