Computer reset help

Tags:
  • Cooling
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 10, 2012 11:22:53 PM

Hoping to get some advice.

My computer resets itself after playing games for a while. Like 4+ hrs.

Do you think it is a cooling issue? The CPU overheating and resetting?
I have the FX 4100 with stock cooler. Will a aftermarket cooler help?
I currently have the FX stock cooler. 3 Case fans. 1x front in, 1x back in and 1x top out.

Any help would be grateful.

Many thanks

More about : computer reset

September 10, 2012 11:24:42 PM

Did you overclock your processor? What game were you playing? What Graphics card(s) do you have?
September 11, 2012 12:44:07 AM

I did overclock it but had issue on some games like BF3 and CS:GO so I reset it to default.

It has reset on me a few times whilst playing guild wars 2.

I have XFX Radeon 6870
Related resources
September 11, 2012 1:28:27 AM

Ok, not to question your intelligence at all but when you reset it, did you make sure it completley reset everything? Also did you happen to OC your video card? And my last question, when it 'restarts' is it a legit restart or does the computer crash?

EDIT: Since it only happens ~4 hours and assuming its a legit restart, I would think that it is a software issue.
September 11, 2012 2:04:40 AM

Run HW-Monitor and alt tab all the time to check temperatures of Video card and CPU. Post the temperatures or search online for "acceptable" load temps. For example, an Intel i7 should not go much over 80 degrees.

If your CPU is heating, you might need to re-apply TIM and re-seat the fan. Also, you shouldn't ever overclock with stock fan.
September 11, 2012 2:05:24 AM

You might try taking out the CMOS battery and then putting it back in after like 30 seconds - that will reset BIOS settings to default
September 11, 2012 10:21:11 AM

Quote:
Ok, not to question your intelligence at all but when you reset it, did you make sure it completley reset everything?

Honestly as far as I know. For the CPU i used the auto tune in AMD overdrive. To reset it i just set it to default and the freq went back to 3.6. Didn't touch the voltage

Quote:
Also did you happen to OC your video card?

I did play around with catalyst but when it started to reset itself i also put this back to default.
I didn't OC majorly. Very small increments.

Quote:
when it 'restarts' is it a legit restart or does the computer crash?
The computer hangs for a couple of seconds then goes in to restart. I get the 'windows did not shut down properly' screen.

Quote:
Run HW-Monitor and alt tab all the time to check temperatures of Video card and CPU. Post the temperatures or search online for "acceptable" load temps. For example, an Intel i7 should not go much over 80 degrees.

Thanks - What would be 'acceptable' for FX BD chips?

Quote:
Also, you shouldn't ever overclock with stock fan.

What fan would you recommend for good cooling? Currently with the stock fan there is little space between it and my ram.

Quote:
You might try taking out the CMOS battery and then putting it back in after like 30 seconds - that will reset BIOS settings to default

Could it be the BIOS? I did recently update this to play CS:GO

Sorry for all the questions and thank for the replys
September 12, 2012 4:49:15 PM

Run a checkdsk on your computer... its time consuming but it may turn up your problem. at this point I'm thinking software and not hardware is the problem...
!