Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 TI fan issue.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2012 4:48:28 PM

I have had horrendous luck with upgrading my video card. I purchased a PNY gtx 560 ti off of Ebay (which I will never buy parts off Ebay again). The card was performing very odd and my OS was VERY slow, and I finally fixed it after updating my MOBO Bios. But the next day, I smelled a burning smell and quickly shut my pc off and tried to restart and it seems the card was dead. So i sent the card back and the guy sent me ANOTHER PNY GTX 560 ti. I put it in and right off the bat I noticed my temps were really hot and I noticed that my fan on my GPU wasn't spinning. So i took the card out and just left it out and put my old one back in. I'm stuck in a loop here, I can't decide if it's my system that is ruining these cards or if they are in fact just bad. My system SHOULD be able to run it, but at this point I'm almost just happy staying with my older card because upgrading has been a pain in the ass.

Specs:
680w PSU
i7 920 @ 2.7ghz
9GB DDR3 Ram
MSI X58 Platinum MOBO

More about : gtx 560 fan issue

March 20, 2012 4:52:43 PM

What is your exact psu model?
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:54:48 PM

Unfortunately it's generic PSU, which was a mistake to begin with. Sunbeam Hush-680 i believe?
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 5:01:55 PM

According to my research so far...it appears your PSU might actually be complete crap.

It might be killing your GPUs. Do you have a spare PSU at hand?
m
l
March 20, 2012 8:39:34 PM

I kind of figured as much. Unfortunately I do not have another PSU with me. What's weird though is its been power my GTX 260 Core 216 fine for 3-4 years, and from what I read it says it takes more power than the Gtx 560 ti? If the card is not getting enough power though, could that make the fan not spin, or do you think the card is ruined?
m
l
March 20, 2012 9:59:19 PM

One thing that can happen with subpar PSU's is the degradation of the PSU over time, rendering them incapable of delivering their stated capacities to your system. It could be that 3-4 years was enough to reach this threshold on your particular psu. Here is another thread from overclock.net that goes into more details on this if you are interested.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1001518/power-supply-degreda...
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:06:01 PM

kelthic said:
One thing that can happen with subpar PSU's is the degradation of the PSU over time, rendering them incapable of delivering their stated capacities to your system. It could be that 3-4 years was enough to reach this threshold on your particular psu. Here is another thread from overclock.net that goes into more details on this if you are interested.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1001518/power-supply-degreda...

I had thought maybe that was what was going on. What's weird though is, from what I read, my current card takes more power than the GTX 560 Ti, maybe I read it wrong though?
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:17:23 PM

Looks to be about 22w difference from what i saw in my little research. This would be a 4% degradation or more if it was true, which doesn't seem unerasonable for a subpar psu over 4 years. And you're right, this is in favor of the 560 ti using less power. have you changed anythign else in the system? Overclocked your CPU?
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:18:58 PM

No, but I have noticed before when I would try to OC, I would get BSOD, so I never bothered with overclocking.
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:32:26 PM

I have to recommend you replace your PSU immediately. I wouldn't even risk your system with that psu and your old card in it. Everything you've said points towards this psu being a large part of your problem. It is a little odd that your old card would work and the new one wouldn't, but i would not take that as a sign that your psu isn't the cause. PSUs often take other components with them when they go, and you would not want to risk your cpu and motherboard in addition to your old card by not replacing this psu with something reliable, would you?
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:35:00 PM

Ya, I think I may go ahead and upgrade. So do you think the gtx 560 ti is ruined? It still functions but the fan doesn't spin. I guess if all else fails I could maybe replace the fan. But it still worries me to try and hook it up again even if I do get a new PSU, as I've had nothing but problems when I've tried hooking up 2 different 560 ti's.
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:35:28 PM

Also, I was thinking of an 850W? Is that too much? OR would 750 or 800 suffice?
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:45:46 PM

I think that's a little heavy for this setup. Remember that a reliable brand of PSU will be able to consistently deliver what it says, and you were probably not getting the capacity stated by your former psu.

I've seen several setups with dual 560 ti's that run flawlessly on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which is only a 650w (but a very good psu).

If that still worries you, try something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which is silver certified (more efficient) and modular (this can reduce the amount of cables in your case that aren't being used, which restrict airflow).

I've never had a problem with corsair psu's, so that's what i recommend to others. I believe Seasonic is also a good brand, though, if you don't want the corsair.
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:05:49 AM

Thanks for your help! I went with a 750. Hopefully when I get this psu my new card will work and I might even try to do a little OC on my cpu:) 
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:18:29 AM

Nice, be sure to let me know if that fixes the problem!
m
l
March 25, 2012 2:58:20 AM

Well, I got my PSU in and installed and everything works fine! However, my GTX 560 ti fan still doesn't spin, obviously the card isn't completely fried or I wouldn't be able to boot up?? Do you think I could get away with just replacing the fan in it?
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:12:12 PM

You won't believe this, but after all these options I've weighed, I never thought to open the card and look in there. And wouldn't you know, THE FAN WASN'T PLUGGED IN!!! WOW, lol so the card is working flawlessly now!
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:14:59 PM

:_) simple answers are sometimes the easiest to overlook! Glad you got your card running again! Also, it's probably a good thing that you replaced the psu now before having problems with the generic model later on :)  enjoy your rig!
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:24:41 PM

I agree! I'm happy the generic one is out of there. Thanks again!!
m
l
!