Sign in with
Your question

Which antec case should I get?

Last response: in Components
September 11, 2012 1:12:54 AM

Hi, I cant decide which case I should get for a PC I am planning to build.
The Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower or Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0 or Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower ?
They are similar yet different and I need help picking.

These are my other parts:
Processor
Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V
GPU
GIGABYTE GV-R777OC-1GD Rev2.0 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CD/DVD Burner/Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Is this a good setup? Im trying to keep it under $900.
Thanks.

More about : antec case

a b ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 2:21:39 AM

Switch the PSU to a more reputable brand such as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling and switch the hard drive to a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 2:35:20 AM

The two cases are like exactly the same ... what is your decision point on? I own the slightly older 300 illusion. Its a good lower end case.

I also agree with the above suggestions. Are you planning on doing crossfire? If not we can use a lower wattage PSU. 500w is plenty for any single card.
m
l
September 11, 2012 2:37:01 AM

I really needed help with choosing one of those three cases, or a better one in a similar price range. Thanks
m
l
September 11, 2012 2:41:36 AM

I was considering upgrading my graphics or adding a card at a later point so I think I may need the 750 watt PSU. I am trying to decide on which case of the three I listed, is better for my hardware. If there is some other case that is in the same price point that is better, suggest it please. Thanks.

Oh, and with the hard drive, the one I listed has a 6gb/s transfer speed while the samsung spinpoint has only 3gb/s. Is this an important difference?
m
l
a c 262 ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 3:51:01 AM

Ok first the Rosewill Hive series is very good. They are made by Sirtec and rated very highly. However 750 watts is major overkill. An HD 7770 needs 430 watts. With 750 watts you would be looking at plenty of power for 2 x GTX 670s or 2 x HD 7950s. So unless you plan on upgrading to a dual $400 card setup save yourself some money on the PSU.

List of power requirements for systems with pretty much any GPU setup you can think of.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

This is an excellent choice and still leaves you plenty of upgrade room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now as far as cases go, if you are ordering from newegg the 300 Illusion and the One Illusion are hard to beat. The Illusion series are newegg specific and come with all the fans you need preinstalled. I have used the 300 Illusion in close to 20 builds. It is a great case for the money. It does go on sale for closer to $50 pretty often. The 300 is larger than the One.

Don't get the Ares RAM. The Ripjaws X or Z is better quality. Corsair Vengance is also very good.
m
l
September 11, 2012 1:10:25 PM

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. I will switch the PSU and ram. Planning on the Antec 300 two case. It has USB 3.0 ports which I do need for transferring files quickly. Thanks again.
m
l
September 11, 2012 9:08:04 PM

Should I get 8 gigs of g.skill ares ram which is free, or pay 55 for g.skill ripjaws x?
m
l
a c 262 ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 10:32:41 PM

With a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU I would not use Ares. The reasoning has to do with the high VCCSA voltage required for the Ares series. Basically Ares needs 1.25v and with Sandy and Ivy Bridge you should not exceed 1.20v. The Ripjaws series only needs 1.10v. This means the memory modules are much higher quality in the Ripjaws kits.

This is system agent voltage and not to be confused with the RAM voltage. The 1.5v RAM voltage is what you will see advertised.

I just noticed your hard drive question. No mechanical hard drive can saturate a SATA 2 ( 3Gbs ) interface fully much less a SATA 3 ( 6Gb/s ) interface. So while you may see hard drives marketed as SATA 3, it's only the interface and the drive is actually no faster than a SATA 2 drive. You need a newer SSD to take advantage of SATA 3.

In my opinion based on using quite a few of them the Spinpoint F3 drives are the best. Seagate bought Samsung's hard drive division so they are technically Seagate drives now but I believe they still use the Samsung design.

This relates and you may find it interesting.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-6/components-ret...
m
l
!