will cas3 ram run at cas 2

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I've noticed that that when I oc my p-3 800 past 840 mhz the memory scores in sandra drop .. I ran HWINFO yesterday and discovered that 2 of my 128 ram modules (133mhz 3rd is a 256 cas2) are listed as cas 3 (I bought them with the understanding that they were supposed to be cas2, but it is moot because the guys never actually charged me for them)

I have since ordered a new 256 cas 2 from crucial but am wondering, since I set the bios to cas2 and 5t 7t (asus cusl2-c) were the old ones running ay cas 2 or 3 ??
Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, maybe. It's tough to say. The only way to truely know is set the BIOS back to CAS3 and run a benchmark. Then, compare the CAS3 to the supposed CAS2 benchmarks- if there's any difference then you'll know. It is possible for cas3 RAM to run at CAS2- but it's usually very unstable.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
One of my machines has a stick of Micron pc133/cas3 that actually runs 100% rock stable at cas2 (as long as I don't push it past 133mhz, that is)

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The CUSL2 has automatic detection, and allows you to manually configure as well. If you overclock from ANY stock speed and leave it in automatic configuration, it will back down to the lowest settings. You must instead configure manually in BIOS.
Also, once you pass a certain overclock speed (something like 115MHz at 100 and 140MHz at 133), BIOS for any 815 chipset will back down memory and AGP timing without showing it. There is a program called StuffPCR that fixes that issue as well.
Want to avoid all that? If you have the 800E, set your bus to 133/133, and all will be well with the BIOS. Set your voltage to 1.95v and pray that it boots! 1064 will be the result!
This is one of many reasons I tell people to get the 700E. 933@133, 980@140.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
ahhh crashman you may have set me on the path.. first off .. I have the cusl2-c and DO have it it set to manual .. 2-2-2 5T 7T and both the older ram and the new crucial (lists as 7.0 ns too even tho it's sold as 7.5 ns using hwinfo) ran at 140 140 with those settings.. it was anything over or under that lowered benchmarks in sisoft sandra I had forgotten about the agp and memory dividers reduced at certain levels ..

pray tell where might I find stuffpcr.. and what does it actually do ??

{Edit info} I have a 800eb\133 cpu btw
Thanx
Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lagger on 06/15/01 11:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
stuffPCR is a program that forces BIOS to return to it's normall memory and AGP (4x) settings. It loads in DOS mode during boot from a comand in Autoexec. It works for Win95/98/98SE. I own it, but am having a difficult time finding a download sight. If you PM me with an email address I will send it to you with the related files as an attachment calles "agpfix.zip". It includes instructions and is only 1.07kb.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Thanx Crashman.. found it here and am playing with it now.. increased cpu from 800 to 883 ok and mem scores broke 500 in sandra but a few instabilities at that clock.. only raised 3d mark 2001 by 100 points (to 2989) with a geforce2 pro 32 mb 5.5 ns (leadtek) but that's not too surprising. you can find it here ( the program files instructions etc)

http://www.blarg.co.uk/reviews/cusl2fix.zip

Thanx again
Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Crashman,
I seem to get slightly better mem scores set to strong.. what is the diff between the two ?? (stable asd a rock now at 870 mhz 185 vcore :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your memory scores probably went up as a result of fewer errors. Many people who can run their memory at normal with total stability report that it gives them better scores, but if you get errors at normal, strong may give you an improvement.
Try pushing it even further to see how far you can go! Fist step when you run into memory problems would be to drop to 7/9, then to 3/2/2. Keep on pushing it up until you can no longer get an improvement-your CPU should go to at least 980, but your memory might not!
As a last resort, you can drop your memory to 133/100 if your processor doesn't stop at higher bus speeds. At 133/100, you will reach a 133MHz memory bus at a 177MHz processor bus, giving you 1062 with the fastest memroy settings!