PSU Efficiency for CF 6970

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsnyder24

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hey guys, im looking to get another 6970 but alas, i'm not sure about my psu. I have a 750w Antec Earthwatts. I've seen some posts about people saying its fine and others saying opposite. I used the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to see, and it said 680w minimum and the recommended is 734w. So as long as i don't overclock any further should it be fine?

Solution
For a system using two Radeon HD 6970 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 800 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 57 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Antec EarthWatts Green 750 (EA-750 Green), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62.5 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors...
For a system using two Radeon HD 6970 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 800 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 57 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Antec EarthWatts Green 750 (EA-750 Green), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62.5 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 6970 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.