Sign in with
Your question

Do i have a bad video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2012 6:40:05 PM

today i recieved in the mail a sapphire hd 6850 card. i installed it and turned on my computer. the gpu fan instantly spins at full speed and i hear no normal boot sounds. ( disk drive makes a sound sometimes 3 times, no hdd noise that i can hear and i dont hear windows) i installed my old gpu and all is well.

Specs are:
biostar ta790gx128 mobo
Phenom x4 9950 cpu
Currently hd 4850 gpu but the new one is sapphire hd 6850
550 watt psu.

what is wrong?

More about : bad video card

a c 251 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:43:58 PM

Could be a bad card and it does happen even with brand new cards sometimes they are just defective. Try taking the card out and then reinserting it into the slot making sure it's in all the way. Also kake sure that both power connectors are seated all the way in.
a c 251 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:45:26 PM

Make sure that you are unpluging the power cord to the wall socket when you are taking out and putting in the video cards.
Related resources
March 20, 2012 6:46:06 PM

inzone said:
Could be a bad card and it does happen even with brand new cards sometimes they are just defective. Try taking the card out and then reinserting it into the slot making sure it's in all the way. Also kake sure that both power connectors are seated all the way in.

i figured. i tried everything. everything is seated and connected
March 20, 2012 6:47:11 PM

inzone said:
Make sure that you are unpluging the power cord to the wall socket when you are taking out and putting in the video cards.

duh. that didnt help
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:49:52 PM

remove the old drivers of you 4850 in safe mode with any driver cleaner, then restart using your onboard video or your videocard without drivers, download the newer from AMD website and instal then... Maybe is a driver conflict. You can also try to instal in another cumputer your new card.
a c 251 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:50:53 PM

Well since you just got it then you shouldn't have any problems with a RMA , where did you buy it from?
March 20, 2012 6:51:06 PM

horaciopz said:
remove the old drivers of you 4850 in safe mode with any driver cleaner, then restart using your onboard video or your videocard without drivers, download the newer from AMD website and instal then... Maybe is a driver conflict. You can also try to instal in another cumputer your new card.

already tried all that
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:58:01 PM

RMA it, if your well conected, with enough power, new drivers and the PCIe works (as you said that the old card worked on it) its the card. Also at last you can chance the PCIe slot, if you are able to. It doesnt matter that its x4 or x8, just thats is a PCie. If you dont have more than 1 PCIe slot, so RMA it. Try some brands like XFX or Shappire, I trust on them. Also HIS (my actual card) have been proven pretty good brands

Edit: grammar mistake corrected by grammar nazi GF :sweat: 
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 7:03:31 PM

most likely a bad card but you could have a compatibility issue with your board. My Asus p5n-d (older board) needed a bios update before it could use any of the AMD 6000 cards. I tested it with a 6850 and it took the computer no lie 30 minutes to post. ASUS had a new bios out right away.

Try using the old video card to update the bio on the mobo.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 7:05:42 PM

Can you post a link to your specific PSU model? I've seen computers do things very similar to this when the PSU can't deliver enough power to the system, usually after a video card upgrade.

550W should be plenty, but as power supplies age, the amount of power they can deliver declines. Cheaper power supplies decline much more rapidly, so if you've got a bargain bin, $25 PSU, it might be the culprit. Probably not unless it's REALLY cheap, though, or you haven't told us about a ton of other crap in your case.
March 20, 2012 7:47:41 PM

bucknutty said:
most likely a bad card but you could have a compatibility issue with your board. My Asus p5n-d (older board) needed a bios update before it could use any of the AMD 6000 cards. I tested it with a 6850 and it took the computer no lie 30 minutes to post. ASUS had a new bios out right away.

Try using the old video card to update the bio on the mobo.

could you tell me how to update bios? i downloaded it from the site but idk what to do next
a c 251 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 7:56:15 PM

If you have the owners manual for the motherboard then it would give you step by step instructions on how to do it. Usually you have to do the bios update in the bios and if your not familiar with how to do it then maybe you could download the owners manual fron the Asus site. The best way is to unzip the file onto a usb stick and then in the bios you would go to the Asus ez flash and start the bios update.Then select the drive and the new file and then update , it would be adviseable to have either the manual or the downloaded manual to guide you.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 8:05:36 PM

Every board is different. In most modern boards you simply copy the "bios.rom" or "bios.bin" to a usb stick. Then reboot and go to the bios in the bios there is normally a upgrade option. Some boards like HP have an option to flash from windows. Its a little flash program, that only works with thier computers.

If its not that easy you will need to read the manufactures instructions. An older board might need to make a dos, or win 98 boot cd with a flash tool like awdflash.exe. Boot off the boot cd and then run the flash program in dos.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 8:07:41 PM

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_... there is a link to the manufacturer page that includes the bios files for the motherboard you listed. As inzone stated, make sure you use the 78DEAB12.BST version in conjunction with the instructions in your owners manual. Note that if you don't have your manual anymore, there is a digital copy in the manual tab on that link as well :) 
March 20, 2012 8:16:57 PM

kelthic said:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_... there is a link to the manufacturer page that includes the bios files for the motherboard you listed. As inzone stated, make sure you use the 78DEAB12.BST version in conjunction with the instructions in your owners manual. Note that if you don't have your manual anymore, there is a digital copy in the manual tab on that link as well :) 

well i updated the bios and made sure everything was connected. even tried 2nd pcie slot. actually had a scare cuz i didnt see in my fiddling i disconnected the hdd power lol

so im to the conclusion of a bad card. thanks for all your help
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 8:24:13 PM

The last thing you may want to check is the brand and model of your PSU. Many PSU's state they are such-and-such a wattage, but don't deliver on that promise. If the card is not getting the required power, it probably won't function.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 9:53:52 PM

This does not look to be a very strong psu in my opinion, but it does list enough power on either the 12v rail to supply this card with what it needs. I don't think that should be the problem. I think we've eliminated everything we can but the card, unless i'm missing something.
March 20, 2012 11:12:07 PM

kelthic said:
This does not look to be a very strong psu in my opinion, but it does list enough power on either the 12v rail to supply this card with what it needs. I don't think that should be the problem. I think we've eliminated everything we can but the card, unless i'm missing something.

just to make clear the computer does boot properly even with the card in. now i did notice something else. when i dont plug in the power to the card it still spins up full speed. why is that
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 11:18:52 PM

The card does get 75W of power directly from the PCIe slot you have it installed in, even without the extra 6pin connector attached. Honestly, my gut feelign was the psu. Is it possible you have a friends computer that you can test your card in? That would help rule out the possibility of the card being bad.
March 20, 2012 11:26:38 PM

just a thought, try plugging in the other 6pin power cable into the card if you havent already tried. if may be possible that you are drawing too much power from one 12v rail depending how everything is hooked up
March 21, 2012 12:03:48 AM

ewood said:
just a thought, try plugging in the other 6pin power cable into the card if you havent already tried. if may be possible that you are drawing too much power from one 12v rail depending how everything is hooked up

na thats not the issue. i have everything hooked up properly. actually just re did everything. so why is the fan spinning full speed even with no power?
March 21, 2012 12:16:32 AM

you know it's not the issue because you tried it?
so you tried switching the 6pin connectors?

it can be hooked up properly but since you don't know which rail each wire is connected to it is possible for everything to be physically hooked up correctly while still drawing too much power from one of the 12v rails

when you say no power what do you mean? is the card sitting on the table with nothing attached to it? if so you have a magic graphics card.
March 21, 2012 12:21:24 AM

ewood said:
you know it's not the issue because you tried it?
so you tried switching the 6pin connectors?

it can be hooked up properly but since you don't know which rail each wire is connected to it is possible for everything to be physically hooked up correctly while still drawing too much power from one of the 12v rails

when you say no power what do you mean? is the card sitting on the table with nothing attached to it? if so you have a magic graphics card.

wait.. im confused. how can the card run even with no power connecter plugged into it. because thats whats happening. your saying my pci slot is powering it? that cant be. well not to the extent of using it. and what do u mean rail? im kinda a noob
March 21, 2012 12:27:38 AM

He means, if your power supply has multiple 6 pin power leads, try using the other lead instead of the one that is in it now, because you might be overdoing one of the rails (power supplies supply power down multiple rails sometimes and you can overdo one while the other is having no draw). If your power supply only has one 6 pin connector, than that is not an option and you cant test this. Though you can try using a molex to 6 pin power adapter that normally comes with new video cards and try running off that wiring instead just as a test.
March 21, 2012 12:30:02 AM

mickey21 said:
He means, if your power supply has multiple 6 pin power leads, try using the other lead instead of the one that is in it now, because you might be overdoing one of the rails (power supplies supply power down multiple rails sometimes and you can overdo one while the other is having no draw). If your power supply only has one 6 pin connector, than that is not an option and you cant test this. Though you can try using a molex to 6 pin power adapter that normally comes with new video cards and try running off that wiring instead just as a test.

o ok i get it, ya i already did all that. still how can the fan spin so loud and not be plugged into the 6 pin power?
March 21, 2012 12:31:19 AM

Took a look at the power supply you posted which does have separate rails, also want to note that you make sure you are plugging in the 6 pin header to the right spot on the power supply because it indicates to use the red connector with the red modular cable for the PCIE.

Like shown on this picture:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-...
March 21, 2012 12:33:32 AM

mickey21 said:
Took a look at the power supply you posted which does have separate rails, also want to note that you make sure you are plugging in the 6 pin header to the right spot on the power supply because it indicates to use the red connector with the red modular cable for the PCIE.

Like shown on this picture:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-...

yes thats all good. its common sense to match colors lol
March 21, 2012 12:33:42 AM

schecterplayer said:
o ok i get it, ya i already did all that. still how can the fan spin so loud and not be plugged into the 6 pin power?

IIRC, PCIE design support 75watts through the PCIE slot, those 6 pin headers from the power supply are there to supply even more power since they cant draw the entire amount from the PCIE slot. Without that EXTRA power, they wont work, but they can sure attempt to post and basic post is to spin the fan up to 100% since the card doesnt seem like it truly posted and then subsequently lowered the speed of the fan to suit the temperatures.

If the fan speed never decreases and stays at full speed, I would say the card is either failed, isnt compatible with the code on the BIOS as mentioned prior and needs a fix, or you arent seated properly.

Dont forget you can plug the card into other PCIE slots as a test as well. Doesnt normally have to be slot 1.
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2012 12:34:53 AM

Just like a wired phone gets power through the phone jack, a pcie card gets 75W of power directly from the PCIe Slot. if additional power is needed, the card maker must supply that power through additional power connectors such as the 6 pin connector.

The easiest way to explain what a rail is is to think about it as a circuit. each rail is a separate circuit and is limited to the maximum power available on that circuit. if you have too much on one circuit, it might be that you are overdrawing from that circuit and that is why the card does not work as designed. ewood and mickey have valid points that are worth looking into. Simply by unplugging the 6 pin from the card that is currently plugged in and plugging in the other 6 pin(s) (one at a time if you have more than 2) and trying this, you would know if you were overdrawing from one rail of your psu.
March 21, 2012 12:37:19 AM

kelthic said:
Just like a wired phone gets power through the phone jack, a pcie card gets 75W of power directly from the PCIe Slot. if additional power is needed, the card maker must supply that power through additional power connectors such as the 6 pin connector.

The easiest way to explain what a rail is is to think about it as a circuit. each rail is a separate circuit and is limited to the maximum power available on that circuit. if you have too much on one circuit, it might be that you are overdrawing from that circuit and that is why the card does not work as designed. ewood and mickey have valid points that are worth looking into. Simply by unplugging the 6 pin from the card that is currently plugged in and plugging in the other 6 pin(s) (one at a time if you have more than 2) and trying this, you would know if you were overdrawing from one rail of your psu.

ok i get that now. thank you. i did all the pci connections possible, even tried using the other slot on the mobo. still fan at full speed and no display
March 21, 2012 12:38:44 AM

schecterplayer said:
yes thats all good. its common sense to match colors lol

It still makes sense to try the adapter as well just in case. It is possible for a power supply to fail one of the rails and still work. Your old 4850 may have worked with what power it had and you didnt notice the problem until the new card was installed, hence one of the rails has failed. Something you can miss on a multiple rail PSU.

If you have another test power supply, it would be worth a look. But short of that I would try the molex adapter as well as you might get it to post with just the power from one rail. Done this before on post to see the card was good on occasion.
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2012 12:38:50 AM

Do you have any options of testing the card in someone else's computer?
March 21, 2012 12:42:50 AM

mickey21 said:
It still makes sense to try the adapter as well just in case. It is possible for a power supply to fail one of the rails and still work. Your old 4850 may have worked with what power it had and you didnt notice the problem until the new card was installed, hence one of the rails has failed. Something you can miss on a multiple rail PSU.

If you have another test power supply, it would be worth a look. But short of that I would try the molex adapter as well as you might get it to post with just the power from one rail. Done this before on post to see the card was good on occasion.

i tried the adapter already. i have another psu but it has weird connections for the mobo power. they dont take up the full slot
March 21, 2012 12:44:16 AM

You tried a 20 pin power supply in a 24 pin motherboard power connector you mean? Some motherboards will not boot without a 24 pin PSU. That might not be a good test.
March 21, 2012 12:45:32 AM

mickey21 said:
You tried a 20 pin power supply in a 24 pin motherboard power connector you mean? Some motherboards will not boot without a 24 pin PSU. That might not be a good test.

ya i cant even connect it.
March 21, 2012 12:47:14 AM

Is it short by 4 pins? You have it in backwards? Slide the connector over to the other end without flipping it over if you know you have the plastic lock retainer over the right side of the connector. Or is this a power supply out of a brand like Dell, HP, etc? Some of those are proprietary.
March 21, 2012 12:49:42 AM

mickey21 said:
Is it short by 4 pins? You have it in backwards? Slide the connector over to the other end without flipping it over if you know you have the plastic lock retainer over the right side of the connector. Or is this a power supply out of a brand like Dell, HP, etc? Some of those are proprietary.

ya im short but idk how many pins. i have the raidmax smilodon case and its the psu that came with that
March 21, 2012 12:56:14 AM

500w power supply possibly model RX-500s? From what I can see from specs and pictures that is a 20 pin power supply. It should fit, but may or may not power the board. due to the cluster of 4 pins it wont have.
March 21, 2012 1:03:27 AM

schecterplayer said:
ya im short but idk how many pins. i have the raidmax smilodon case and its the psu that came with that

just looked up the psu that came with your case and it should have the right motherboard connector but it is a 20+4 connector not a 24 wire connector. all this means is that there are 4 extra connectors that can be plugged in along side the other 20 if they are needed, which they are on almost every modern motherboard. check and see if the part of the connector with the 4 contacts came detached while being stored.

heres a picture that shows the difference
March 21, 2012 1:05:39 AM

ewood said:
just looked up the psu that came with your case and it should have the right motherboard connector but it is a 20+4 connector not a 24 wire connector. all this means is that there are 4 extra connectors that can be plugged in along side the other 20 if they are needed, which they are on almost every modern motherboard. check and see if the part of the connector with the 4 contacts came detached while being stored.

ok i see now. so how likely is it that its my psu. cuz i really dont feel like re wiring the whole computer
March 21, 2012 1:09:25 AM

ewood said:

This may or may not be the case, I found conflicting information hence me qualifying the question with which model PSU. On newegg, they showed the optional 500S and it was a 20 pin power supply. On other websites with a more recent model of the same case, they show the case with and without optional PSUs, and the more modern version is 24 pin. If he is saying he is short pins on the connector, and we already know the biostar ta790gx128 motherboard is 24 pin, we can only know that the PSU he has as a secondary test is in fact a 20 pin version. The only way to properly test this would be to get a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter, or just try it and it may work after all on this motherboard.
March 21, 2012 1:10:14 AM

honestly i would bet you got a defective card. however it would suck to go through the rma process to find out that wasnt the case, especially when you had the option to rule out the psu in the first place. its your call
March 21, 2012 1:10:49 AM

schecterplayer said:
ok i see now. so how likely is it that its my psu. cuz i really dont feel like re wiring the whole computer

What do you feel like doing? RMA'ing the video card, or testing a power supply? Truly it is your call.
March 21, 2012 1:11:40 AM

ewood said:
honestly i would bet you got a defective card. however it would suck to go through the rma process to find out that wasnt the case, especially when you had the option to rule out the psu in the first place. its your call

can i just hook up the mobo and leave the extras off and leave the psu outside the case
March 21, 2012 1:13:25 AM

my mistake mikey is right. depending when you bought your case you could have either psu so if you could post the model# off it we can tell you if its even possible to use that psu (assuming your motherboard wont work without all 24 pins)
March 21, 2012 1:18:06 AM

ewood said:
my mistake mikey is right. depending when you bought your case you could have either psu so if you could post the model# off it we can tell you if its even possible to use that psu (assuming your motherboard wont work without all 24 pins)

the secondary psu is the raidmax rx 500s
March 21, 2012 1:32:24 AM

ewood said:

ok i am not about to test the other psu. reviews say it is awful and fries compnents all the time.
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2012 1:33:28 AM

Honestly, if it were my machine, i'd RMA the card and replace both psu's with more reliable models. That's just me though.
!