I have a broter MFC 9700 that uses WIA.

Everytime I scan someting I have to change the paper type.

How do I save/Modify the defualts for WIA (Windows Image Acquisition)

Hi Bob,

This feature is driver dependant and the driver is solely responsible for saving your preferences.
Even though Windows may have installed a driver for your machine from its driver database, it was
still supplied by the hardware manufacturer to be included in Window's driver database. Try and look
for an updated driver for your device on the manufacturer's homepage.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Dickson" <BobDickson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a broter MFC 9700 that uses WIA.
>
> Everytime I scan someting I have to change the paper type.
>
> How do I save/Modify the defualts for WIA (Windows Image Acquisition)

Brother claims it is a microsoft issue as this page from thier web page
idicates

http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/faq/faq000041_000/index.html

specifically it says:

TITLE:
I'm using Windows® XP. Every time I run the scanner and camera wizard the
settings revert back to the default settings. Why?

This is a specification of the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.
The Brother Windows® XP scanner driver uses the Microsoft® WIA's common user
interface for scanning.

At present Microsoft® does not have a solution for this problem.

Is there not an ini file or registry entry that could be changed?

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:31:05 -0800, Bob Dickson wrote:

> Brother claims it is a microsoft issue as this page from thier web page
> idicates
>
> http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/faq/faq000041_000/index.html
>
> specifically it says:
>
> TITLE:
> I'm using Windows® XP. Every time I run the scanner and camera wizard the
> settings revert back to the default settings. Why?
>
> This is a specification of the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.
> The Brother Windows® XP scanner driver uses the Microsoft® WIA's common user
> interface for scanning.
>
> At present Microsoft® does not have a solution for this problem.
>

> Is there not an ini file or registry entry that could be changed?

Features and settings beyond a specification are supplied by the individual
hardware companies. I have an HP scanner that is WIA compliant. If I want a
quick copy, I use the WIA interface and its limited choices. The HP scanner
interface (a separate program) offers more choices - including features not
available with the WIA interface - and it retains my favorite scanner
settings.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

These applications can use the system-supplied user interface (UI), or one supplied by the device's manufacturer. The UI is used to select items for transfer and to set relevant properties. Note that it is the application, not the driver, that transfers the selected items after the UI is dismissed

An application writer has the following four choices for communicating with WIA devices:

a.. Use the WIA high-level interfaces, which are tied to the WIA common dialogs. This provides a minimal-effort approach.
b.. Program directly to the WIA interfaces. This adds flexibility to implement custom solutions and UI-less mode support for devices.
c.. Use the TWAIN compatibility layer, which exposes WIA devices as TWAIN devices. The compatibility layer is limited to UI-mode only and single-image transfer.
d.. Support the common file open and file insert dialog. This dialog is not supported for scanners, and it is only supported with video cameras after frames have been captured.
e.. Other imaging features associated with WIA include My Pictures Folder and My Pictures Screensaver.
Supported Scanner Paper Sizes
Although two WIA user interface components are able to display a list of page sizes to the user, there is no easy way for a WIA driver to know which page sizes a scanner supports.

Page Size in WIA Applications
There are no WIA properties that allow WIA drivers to report supported page sizes nor allow applications to specify page size directly. To communicate page size settings to a driver, an application must calculate the required size in dots per inch (DPI) and adjust the origin of the scan to conform with the registration requirements of the device.

Page Size in the Common Scanner Dialog and in the Scanner and Camera Wizard
Both the Common Scanner Dialog and the Scanner and Camera Wizard have a static table of supported page sizes in which each page size is described by its horizontal width and vertical height, both in increments of 0.001 inch. These page sizes are currently displayed only when the scanner is in document feeder mode.

The largest page size (by area) that a driver supports in page feed mode, as determined by the maximum bed size, is considered the default page size. Paper sizes that do not fit on the feeder or bed of the device are not offered to the user.

Or to make it's simple, Brother didn't want to write a driver. So didn't.
http://www.uscricket.com
"Bob Dickson" <BobDickson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DAF4C4F-A82F-42F3-B1A0-0EBDCA4BC60C@microsoft.com...
> Brother claims it is a microsoft issue as this page from thier web page
> idicates
>
> http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/faq/faq000041_000/index..html
>
> specifically it says:
>
> TITLE:
> I'm using Windows® XP. Every time I run the scanner and camera wizard the
> settings revert back to the default settings. Why?
>
> This is a specification of the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.
> The Brother Windows® XP scanner driver uses the Microsoft® WIA's common user
> interface for scanning.
>
> At present Microsoft® does not have a solution for this problem.
>

> Is there not an ini file or registry entry that could be changed?
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> This feature is driver dependant and the driver is solely responsible for saving your preferences.
>> Even though Windows may have installed a driver for your machine from its driver database, it was
>> still supplied by the hardware manufacturer to be included in Window's driver database. Try and look
>> for an updated driver for your device on the manufacturer's homepage.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Bob Dickson" <BobDickson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a broter MFC 9700 that uses WIA.
>> >
>> > Everytime I scan someting I have to change the paper type.
>> >
>> > How do I save/Modify the defualts for WIA (Windows Image Acquisition)

Wow David ! Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

To the OP: I hope David's reply answers your doubts.

--

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uMa9qCr8EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]

>> still supplied by the hardware manufacturer to be included in Window's driver database. Try and
>> look
>> for an updated driver for your device on the manufacturer's homepage.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Bob Dickson" <BobDickson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a broter MFC 9700 that uses WIA.
>> >
>> > Everytime I scan someting I have to change the paper type.
>> >
>> > How do I save/Modify the defualts for WIA (Windows Image Acquisition)

I was also trying to alter the WIA scanner defaults and I found your
post on
msusenet asking to do the same. I was not able to find a way to set
the defaults, but I was able to find a workaround. I installed a
keyboard macro program (I installed AutoHotKey, which was free at
www.autohotkey.com). I then used the program to set the Windows-z key
to run a macro that used tabs, arrows, spacebar, enter, etc to fill in
all the fields (paper size, resolution, color mgmt) once the window
popped up asking for it. It works GREAT! Since I was so frustrated
with the WIA driver, I thought I'd pass it on......

--
gregorysnelson
gregorysnelson's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1915

FeliX

"" wrote:
> I was also trying to alter the WIA scanner defaults and I
> found your
> post on
> msusenet asking to do the same. I was not able to find a way
> to set
> the defaults, but I was able to find a workaround. I
> installed a
> keyboard macro program (I installed AutoHotKey, which was free
> at
> www.autohotkey.com). I then used the program to set the
> Windows-z key
> to run a macro that used tabs, arrows, spacebar, enter, etc to
> fill in
> all the fields (paper size, resolution, color mgmt) once the
> window
> popped up asking for it. It works GREAT! Since I was so
> frustrated
> with the WIA driver, I thought I'd pass it on......
>

> --
> gregorysnelson
> ----------
> gregorysnelson's Profile:
> http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1915

Gregory, will it be posssible to post the script you created.

Thanks.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-WIA-Defaults-ftopict245787.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1379773

Sure-here is the script:
#z::Send,
{TAB}{DOWN}{TAB}{SPACE}{TAB}{TAB}{UP}{UP}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER}{SHIFTDOWN}{TAB}{SHIFTUP}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{TAB}{TAB}
return

This script sets the paper size to letter and the dots per inch to 300
and grayscale.... You would simply change the keystokes as in the
example to make the settings be anything you like. This uses the
Windows-z key combo to start the script....

Good luck!

--

"" wrote:
> Sure-here is the script:
> #z::Send,
> {TAB}{DOWN}{TAB}{SPACE}{TAB}{TAB}{UP}{UP}{TAB}{TAB}{
> TAB}{ENTER}{SHIFTDOWN}{TAB}{SHIFTUP}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{D
> OWN}{DOWN}{TAB}{TAB}
> return
>
> This script sets the paper size to letter and the dots per
> inch to 300
> and grayscale.... You would simply change the
> keystokes as in the
> example to make the settings be anything
> you like. This uses the
> Windows-z key combo to start the
> script....
>
> Good luck!