Computex stuff (conroe and motherboards and AMD and such..)

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770&p=2

1. all the major motherboard manufacturers are anticipating a jump in intel based motherboard shipments because of core 2, and, the current intel pricecuts. thought this was interesting. core 2 isn't apparently just a buzz going around in the forums.. or maybe that's exactly why they're predicting larger intel sales.

2. they mention conroe availibilty, and it looks like it may be sparce to begin with. they say after HP and dell snap up the first shipments, the ones left for the end user to buy directly may be priced at a premium because of high demand and low quantity. can't say this is too much of a suprise.

3. AMD's 4x4 was apparently a last minute idea after all. they mention that of all the motherboard manufacturers they spoke to, none had even heard of it, let alone seen any designs. this actually really suprised me, as you'd think AMD would have something considering how soon they've said they'll launch it.

/nerd.

xcetera

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Additionally, it seems that Intel is ready to launch "Conroe" Core Duo in quantity. But the holdup is the unavailability of compatible Motherboards, hence the wait until July 23.

Seems to me that Intel's Fabs are likely cranking out Core Duo as fast as they can. With the additional time until launch I hope Intel will have enough chips to keep everyone happy. Everyone except AMD.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Interesting find. Though I do find the Torrenza platform an intrigue. An open-platform allowing OEMs to build products that directly link to HyperTransport or go straight into a CPU socket. That sounds like a plan to me. But since there isn't anything new put up on Anandtech from Computex, I guess I'll have to wait. Plus there's supposed to be a GPU physics demonstration by ATI at Computex, and I can't wait to hear about that.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I think we all knew 4x4 was a crap idea from the word go, seeing as it wasn't really an idea as such, more of a 'hey, we haven't done that for a while' sort of thing. Ideas like Torrenza, reverse HT etc... are going to be a while coming and they're really not doing themselves any favours by coming up with such an unimaginitive idea for a stopgap tech.

Torrenza seems interesting, and I'd like to see if AMD Live can succeed where Viiv has so obviously failed. Obviously it suffered from the fact that whoever comes up with names for products at Intel should be fired as soon as possible for his or her latest efforts:

Centrino
Core
Viiv