Solved

Two different Radeon 6870s (which one to get)

Hi all,

I have decided on the 6870 as being the best card within my budget. There are two listed at the exact same price, and I have no idea which one is better. Hoping someone can help me understand which is the better deal.

Option 1: Powercolor Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI 2XMINI DP HDMI PCI-E Video Card - PowerColor - AX6870 1GBD5-2DH

Option 2: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ HDMI 2xDVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

They are both currently the same price; however, the powercolor was originally $267 whereas the Sapphire was originally $199

I also have a secondary, less important question. I expect to need a new power supply. What is the minimum wattage I need to safely run my computer with this upgrade?

My specs are
Motherboard: Foxconn Aloe
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810
RAM: 8GB
Harddrive: 750 GB SATA
PSU: 300W

Thank you all :)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 6870s which
  1. Best answer
    vespir said:
    They are both currently the same price; however, the powercolor was originally $267 whereas the Sapphire was originally $199

I also have a secondary, less important question. I expect to need a new power supply. What is the minimum wattage I need to safely run my computer with this upgrade?

First of all - good choice! The HD 6870 is currently the best bang-for-your-buck graphics card.

The "original" prices don't matter. Pick the one with the better reviews. I don't know about the Powercolor model, but the Sapphire has made about 500 people very happy who've bought it on Newegg.

Lastly, the minimum wattage for a new PSU would be 400 or so. But that would have to be a great 400w PSU. Fortunately there's an amazing 500w one for sale on Newegg right now. I love mine, btw.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035
  2. jessterman21 said:
    First of all - good choice! The HD 6870 is currently the best bang-for-your-buck graphics card.

The "original" prices don't matter. Pick the one with the better reviews. I don't know about the Powercolor model, but the Sapphire has made about 500 people very happy who've bought it on Newegg.

Lastly, the minimum wattage for a new PSU would be 400 or so. But that would have to be a great 400w PSU. Fortunately there's an amazing 500w one for sale on Newegg right now. I love mine, btw.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

+1, Yes. Go with the Sapphire. I have never had a problem with their cards.
  3. either card will be fine...both are good companies...I have first hand experience with a 6870 from powercolor.

Go with the one that suits your colors of your build / preference. Both are good companies.

400watt will be fine (430watt Corsair builder series)..If you want to have upgrade room later on go for 500-650watt. Incase you learn to OC and upgrade parts later on.
  4. Thanks! I like that the one you posted says it is called "EarthWatts" and calls itself environmentally friendly - that is something I believe in.
  5. Best answer selected by vespir.
  6. "EarthWatts" and calls itself environmentally friendly - that is something I believe in.
    If you truly believe go for an 80+ Gold or Platinum - they are more efficient.(and more $$)
    -Bruce
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon PowerColor Graphics Product