Sign in with
Your question

Possible failing card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2012 10:18:01 PM

Hello everyone,

I have recently been experiencing issues with my PC, which I believe may be a graphics related issue.

It began as my monitor going into sleep mode randomly, and would not wake. I tried switching out monitors and it stopped for awhile, but I have now been experiencing this again. Now it give me a 'no signal' message as it turns off, and again I am not able to wake it.

I have also been experiencing the graphics in my game getting distorted, followed by my PC completely crashing, or being frozen to a point where a forced shut down is needed.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 9000. My current card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 and I have a 475w power supply, not sure of the make of it tho. Here's a little snippit from a dxdiag ~

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: DELL Inc.
System Model: Studio XPS 435T/9000
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8182MB RAM
Page File: 2414MB used, 13997MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

I am looking for suggestions as to what cards would be compatible with my machine, because as you can probably tell, I am by no means a computer whiz. If you need any other information, please let me know. I'd be happy to provide it, just not sure what I'd have to put here to get assistance.

Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : failing card

a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 10:28:24 PM

You have Vista, my first suggestion would be reformatting and installing Windows 7. It can be hard to decipher which issues are hardware and which issues are software related.
March 20, 2012 11:08:15 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
You have Vista, my first suggestion would be reformatting and installing Windows 7. It can be hard to decipher which issues are hardware and which issues are software related.

I'm hesitant to upgrade to windows 7 as I am used to vista. For the longest time, I used XP after vista came out haha. But how wouldndoing this potentially help?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2012 12:23:09 AM

C-Happz said:
I'm hesitant to upgrade to windows 7 as I am used to vista. For the longest time, I used XP after vista came out haha. But how wouldndoing this potentially help?

Vista is a lot like Windows Me, except not quite that bad. You can have unexplained issues. Windows 7 is almost identical to Vista, except that it works. If you can get your hands on a copy of Windows 7, I would reformat and see what happens.
March 21, 2012 2:50:36 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for new graphics cards that would be compatible? :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2012 6:29:54 PM

C-Happz said:
Anyone have any suggestions for new graphics cards that would be compatible? :) 

I would at least reformat with Vista before identifying the issue as a hardware failure. However, if you want a recommendation, an HD7850 would do nicely. High performance, low power consumption. Your 475W PSU will handle it just fine.
!