Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bottom mounted PSU - fan facing up or down?

Last response: in Components
September 11, 2012 6:47:36 AM

Hi, i been reading all this people post and im wondering same as all you what is the best of a PSU and hope you can help me to find out my answer. my PSU is with the fan facing down(really never know if the fan is an intake or an exhaust fan, good point to know, but in case it will be an intake fan to drawn fresh air from the bottom, in this case mounted on myu HAF X) what do you think will be the result if i put it facing up sucking air from my video card and changing too the 2 fans of 200mm in the top of my case to intake air instead of exhaust air? i mean will be good cuz air flow will change to go inside from the top and the front of the case and go out to the rear. do you think this could be any good? i dont mind about my CPU temp cuz i have Corsair Hydro H80 on it so runs 20C idle and 35C load hehe, and my ram memory has memory fans from a corsair dominator airflow so i spect that air will pass from top to bottom just fine and be out from all the points in the rear of the case. hope you can help me and understand my point hehe. thanks a lot to you and all who read this and help me finding out =) by the way i have a coolermaster silent pro 700w PSU but i will changing it for a Corsair AX1200w.
Thanks a lot
a c 110 ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 7:10:49 AM

Fan facing down!

Look, you'll be taking air away from your card, plus the 200mm fans are too far away regardless. Down blowers are not a good idea, as hot air rises!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 9:51:18 AM

amuffin is right,face the psu fan down and the top fans for exhaust,the hot air moves naturally in that direction so it will work much better,just clean the dust filter for the psu fan every few weeks or so
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 10:03:32 AM

Down.

Some old cases don't have a bottom intake vent despite having a bottom mount position, only in this case would you mount it the other way.
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:50:29 PM

But what about if i have A/C in the room? Will still not be a good idea with the fans as intake? Just saying...
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 8:05:47 PM

SigfridAlpha said:
But what about if i have A/C in the room? Will still not be a good idea with the fans as intake? Just saying...

The top fans should always be exhaust fans. Never intake. That defeats their purpose because heat rises, so having the top fans as intake fans doesn't make any sense.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 8:09:48 PM

Plus dust will naturally get sucked in through the top since it settles.
September 18, 2012 4:45:52 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The top fans should always be exhaust fans. Never intake. That defeats their purpose because heat rises, so having the top fans as intake fans doesn't make any sense.

But still wont work with Air Conditioner? Just saying... Hehehe
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:47:13 PM

Engima said:
Plus dust will naturally get sucked in through the top since it settles.

It make sense about the dust.... Never thought about it :-/
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:03:48 PM

Best answer selected by SigfridAlpha.
m
l
March 16, 2013 5:14:27 PM

in a bottom mounted psu case, providing the case has a proper vent for the fan, I would place the PSU in fan facing down....just because a dropped screw inside the PSU can mean for a VERY bad day. Modern Higher wattage PSU's also benifit from the cool air coming in that hasn't been preheated by the other components of the system. a good power supply can last for a couple generations of cpu/mobos if you take care of it.

l
!