Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[New Build] Sub $1k PC (WoW & Game Streaming)

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 21, 2012 8:16:27 PM

Hello,

I want to simply use this computer to play WoW on generally higher settings, while streaming through TwitchTV. I don't play any other computer games, but I will do 'light' video & photo editing from time to time, but nothing heavy. Additionally, I have no interest in overclocking. I wasn't too sure about the motherboard or video card, so if there's something better, feel free to let me know.

Approximate Purchase Date: Between May 30th & June 16th
Budget Range: Less than $1k
System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Gaming, streaming, video editing (light), surfing the internet, watching movies)
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg
Country: U.S.A.
Parts Preferences: Intel
Overclocking: No
Monitor Resolution: Haven't purchased a monitor yet, would like to buy PC first and then decide.
Upgradeability: I really don't need to have high upgradeability.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($75.25 @ Compuvest)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 SE 1GB Video Card ($137.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $642.74
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Usage:
World of Warcraft (I don't play any other games and don't plan to)
FRAPS (record gameplay)
Twitch.TV streaming (In order to stream my gameplay)
XSplit (overlay & scene changing software)
Adobe Photoshop (from time to time, nothing heavy)
Premiere Pro (to edit video from time to time, nothing heavy)

Overall, how is it?
May 21, 2012 8:28:18 PM

it looks ok

but for the PSU

the 560se is kinda weak but not bad.

At 650 your not too far off, I'd have you look at combos to get a better mobo
May 21, 2012 9:05:44 PM

Newegg:
1
------------912 is also fine---------
NZXT Tempest 210 CA-TP210-01 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811146084
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy


$54.99
1
--------------better gpu card-----------
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
Item #: N82E16814130664
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card


$179.99
$169.99
1
----------CM PSU don't have the best rep-----
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Item #: N82E16817341017
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$25.00 Instant
$25.00 Mail-in Rebate Card


$99.99
$74.99
1

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231308
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy


$39.99
1
-------combo----

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136769
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
-$13.00 Combo


$102.98
$79.98
1

---combo-------
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115074
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157279
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
-$18.00 Combo


$304.98
$276.98
Subtotal: $696.92 (670 w/ MIR)

The problem with your build is you PSU and to fix it you will be closer to the price I have got you at. This will fix that and a better GPU for about the same price.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 7:22:14 PM

Thanks!

Do you have the links to the combos? I wasn't able to locate them on NewEgg.

Also, I haven't really found any in-depth documentation on motherboards, but what's the benefit of different motherboards?

For example:

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-...

$66.99

vs

ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$104.99

Here's the updated list with the additions you mentioned (changed a few things, still okay?):

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($75.25 @ Compuvest)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($166.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: OCZ 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $696.15 (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-22 15:19 EDT-0400)
May 23, 2012 12:55:20 PM

Anyone else have any comments on the revision list I made?
May 23, 2012 6:49:55 PM

requisite said:
Anyone else have any comments on the revision list I made?


For what you're planning to do... I think you're overkilling with that i5. Go for the i3 2120. And also, you think you're going to use 1tb of storage?. I don't think so... You can take the 500gb seagate barracuda for 70$ and in case you need more in the future buy another one... Third that motherboard you chose is way too old,

I would recommend this for only 30$ more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MEMORY, I would recommend this pack:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

till here we are about 609$

And for last a thing, something that will change your life, an SSD.

The most recommended brand-model is the Crucial M4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

64gb for 80$. This one you're going to use it for SO and all the small programs only. And the HDD for music, videos, games,etc.

Total: 689$.

And if you want a better case I would recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Antec Two Hundred Two.

Total with the antec case: 705$

Well and If you want better graphics:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60642


Total: more or less than 770$.

:hello: 
May 23, 2012 7:29:55 PM

Thanks for the reply!

CPU: Yeah, I'll be multitasking as far as running FRAPS (from time to time), XSplit, game, streaming my game, music, and webcam at the same time, so I see i5 being my best fit since i7 would be overkill for me.

HDD: Now that I think about it, I highly doubt I'd even remotely reach 500GB, let alone 1TB, so thanks for bringing that up, dropped it to 500GB. Albeit like you said, I could always get another HDD down the road.

MOBO: Will the MOBO you posed be compatible with SSDs? Also, just for my own sake & learning purposes, what do you mean by 'old' as far as motherboards go? As far as functionality goes.

SSD: I'm so up in the air on whether or not to get a SSD :(  Albeit, it would be the one you listed since there isn't a lot of programs I use in the first place.

I'm fine with the case, GPU, and RAM for now :) 
May 23, 2012 8:36:13 PM

dude...if you want to up the budget:

1

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129042
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
-$15.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate


$69.99
$54.99
1

MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814127675
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy


$399.99
1


Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136769
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
-$13.00 Combo


$102.98
$79.98
1


CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
Item #: N82E16817139020
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Item #: N82E16820233144
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
-$15.00 Combo
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card


$174.98
$129.98
1


Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115072
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157279
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
-$18.00 Combo


$334.98
$306.98
Subtotal: $971.92
May 23, 2012 11:55:48 PM

Wait, wait, wait...did I list something wrong? lol...I don't want to up the budget! :o 

What's a good budget motherboard compatible with my current build?
May 24, 2012 12:30:06 AM

requisite said:
Thanks!


Here's the updated list with the additions you mentioned (changed a few things, still okay?):

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($75.25 @ Compuvest)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($166.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: OCZ 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $696.15 (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-22 15:19 EDT-0400)


That will work.
May 24, 2012 1:09:24 AM

requisite said:
Thanks for the reply!

CPU: Yeah, I'll be multitasking as far as running FRAPS (from time to time), XSplit, game, streaming my game, music, and webcam at the same time, so I see i5 being my best fit since i7 would be overkill for me.

HDD: Now that I think about it, I highly doubt I'd even remotely reach 500GB, let alone 1TB, so thanks for bringing that up, dropped it to 500GB. Albeit like you said, I could always get another HDD down the road.

MOBO: Will the MOBO you posed be compatible with SSDs? Also, just for my own sake & learning purposes, what do you mean by 'old' as far as motherboards go? As far as functionality goes.

SSD: I'm so up in the air on whether or not to get a SSD :(  Albeit, it would be the one you listed since there isn't a lot of programs I use in the first place.

I'm fine with the case, GPU, and RAM for now :) 


CPU: Well in that case get the last generation intel core processor the i5 3450. I see you wont do any OC. So the i5 3450 will be more than fine. The difference between 2nd gen and 3rd gen of intel core CPUs is like 15 - 25%. And the price is pretty much the same.

MOBO: I called old the Asrock H61m because of course, is a H61 chipset, no SSD support ( No SATA III 6gps) I mean it might support SSD with the 3gps SATA II but with the SATA II you will not see the max potential of the SSD, no USB 3.0, DDR3 1333, no PCI 3.0 ( this is pretty much useless right now but later you'll need it),no crossfire, no sli, etc, etc. For 30 more bucks you can get a last generation mobo (chipset 7x) from Gigabyte in this times, I belive is the best manufacturer (just my opinion). With a bunch of great features, Sata III ports, USB 3.0, DDR3 1600, 32GB max memory I mean a lot of good stuff you can use down the road.

SSD: Well, C4 yourself bro :D  : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y

Memory: I will still recommend the Corsair Vengance Blue. Why you're going to pay 40$ if you can pay 30$ ? :heink:  . Actually this corsair are better than the one you chose.

Case: I'll still recommend the antec two hundred two. Also has better features than the HAF912.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=...

just taking up your budget by how much? 80$ ? :ange: 

:hello: 
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 24, 2012 1:50:35 AM

http://www.frys.com/product/6977417 $69.99 Free Delivery
Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $144.98 save: $15.00 - $20.00 Mail In Rebates
OCZ ZT Series 550W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
ASRock B75 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $43.99 FREE SHIPPING
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Mini-HDMI-Lifetime-Warranty-... $234.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1561-AR

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphi... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I x 2 / Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, GV-N560OC-1GI



May 24, 2012 12:51:00 PM

majadito said:
CPU: Well in that case get the last generation intel core processor the i5 3450. I see you wont do any OC. So the i5 3450 will be more than fine. The difference between 2nd gen and 3rd gen of intel core CPUs is like 15 - 25%. And the price is pretty much the same.

MOBO: I called old the Asrock H61m because of course, is a H61 chipset, no SSD support ( No SATA III 6gps) I mean it might support SSD with the 3gps SATA II but with the SATA II you will not see the max potential of the SSD, no USB 3.0, DDR3 1333, no PCI 3.0 ( this is pretty much useless right now but later you'll need it),no crossfire, no sli, etc, etc. For 30 more bucks you can get a last generation mobo (chipset 7x) from Gigabyte in this times, I belive is the best manufacturer (just my opinion). With a bunch of great features, Sata III ports, USB 3.0, DDR3 1600, 32GB max memory I mean a lot of good stuff you can use down the road.

SSD: Well, C4 yourself bro :D  : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y

Memory: I will still recommend the Corsair Vengance Blue. Why you're going to pay 40$ if you can pay 30$ ? :heink:  . Actually this corsair are better than the one you chose.

Case: I'll still recommend the antec two hundred two. Also has better features than the HAF912.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=...

just taking up your budget by how much? 80$ ? :ange: 

:hello: 


CPU: Yup, going with the i5 3540 :) 

MOBO: Ah, I see, I see. Thanks for the info! I'll more than likely get the one you mentioned since I may get a SSD down the road.

Memory: I'm going for 8 GB total RAM, I think the one you listed is a total of 4GB (2 x 2GB). :) 

Case: I think I'm going to go with the COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
May 24, 2012 2:11:24 PM

Thanks everyone, here's the build I've decided on:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($159.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: OCZ 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.64 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $620.12
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-24 10:10 EDT-0400)
May 24, 2012 5:14:50 PM

requisite said:
CPU: Yup, going with the i5 3540 :) 

MOBO: Ah, I see, I see. Thanks for the info! I'll more than likely get the one you mentioned since I may get a SSD down the road.

Memory: I'm going for 8 GB total RAM, I think the one you listed is a total of 4GB (2 x 2GB). :) 

Case: I think I'm going to go with the COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case



ooooh my bad about the memory man I didn't read you always wanted 8gb :D  . In that case I'll still recommend a little change in your build (the memory). One of this three:

DDR3 1600 8gb 4gbx2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Then the rest is fine. Good luck ! :sol: 
!