Hardware component failure - how to diagnose

alrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hello,

So I'm working on my new build and long story short, getting to the point where I'm getting beeps indicating a hardware component failure. My question is, how do I go about finding out which piece of hardware is the culprit? The computer starts up and gets online, is there some software I can download to run diagnostics on it or something? I suspect it's my motherboard, but I need to be sure.

Thanks for any help and advice.

alrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Well the computer just beeps when I'm starting it up, it gives me a series of beeps that the manual tells me indicates a hardware component failure.

The only information I have that could be related is that when I start the computer up it tells me "CPU Fan Error!", and I need to press F1 to get into the bios screen, on the bios screen it isn't recognizing my fans even though they're working (
DGSqJ.jpg
) and I need to load windows through that.

That's really all I know

If it can boot into the BIOS, then the CPU, motherboard, graphics and RAM probably aren't broken (at least not completely).

You can try a BIOS update on your motherboard (remember to reset the BIOS to defaults before doing this, look up proper procedures for that motherboard if you don't know them yet either in the manual or on the internet).

I don't know what it means by CPU fan error, so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but the BIOS is a likely cause and that's why I recommend updating it.

GPUNoob

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Alrix, this is a very common issue. There's nothing wrong with your build or mobo. In fact ASUS is known for this. What you need to do is go into the ASUS Bios, fan control, and disable the low fan speed error/warning. I'd give you the exact name of the toggle, but I'm on my Mac at the moment.

Anyway, this problem is very common, I just had it happen to me. Asus needs to revise or replace this setting. Disable the low fan speed warning, you'll be fine.