PSU with big fan on top

1stBuild

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have seen some supposedly quiet PSU with 120 or 140 mm exhaust fans on the top side of the PSU. My case doesn't have exhaust holes at the top. There probably are cases that accommodate PSUs like these, but I can't remember seeing any. I guess I need to make some modifications to my case if I want to install one of these PSUs, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to proceed with this?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I have seen some supposedly quiet PSU with 120 or 140 mm exhaust fans on the top side of the PSU. My case doesn't have exhaust holes at the top. There probably are cases that accommodate PSUs like these, but I can't remember seeing any. I guess I need to make some modifications to my case if I want to install one of these PSUs, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to proceed with this?
The big fans are on the bottom. That way, once it's mounted over top of the CPU, the heat will be
grabbed by the PSU fan, before it can spread around inside the case. Keep
the dremel away from your case for now. :wink: GL

1stBuild

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
OK, I just assumed that it was an exhaust fan because at least on some PSUs I've seen there is no fan in the back. I guess that would be OK though, cause a PSU is quite small, and the air would have no way to go except out the back grate.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
yep those big fans suck air into the psu. the hot air exits out the back withouth the need of an additional 80mm fan.

although it wouldnt be a bad idea to have the large fan as an exhaust..... pitty cases dont come that way.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
You wouldn't want one on the top blowing out anyway, all the dust & other $h!t can then go & settle in your power supply when it's off then.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
heh, ur 120mm fans or 140mm fans wount beat the quietness of my NeoHE.

u want a quiet PSU get a NeoHE. cant hear them, i dont even think my 80mm fa inside the PSU is even running.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If I got a quieter PSU my system would burn up. I'm externally liquid cooled (Zalman Resorator 1) and the only thing keeping the rest of the system cool is my 120mm power supply fan. It is quiet though.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
You wouldn't want one on the top blowing out anyway, all the dust & other $h!t can then go & settle in your power supply when it's off then.

If dust did fall into the PSU wouldnt the dust come out agan once the PSU starts up?

eg Lian Li PC 60 plus has a 92mm case fan on the top and it blows hot air out of the case. works quite well and it hasnt collected that much dust (3 months now).

TRENDING THREADS