Computer Restarts While Gaming

honkyharris

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
About 6 months ago I put together a new rig which to date has been running very well. I was playing DayZ with some buddies the other night and my computer restarted itself. I didn't think much of it, DayZ has some buggy issues, so I just went about my night. The next night my computer did the same thing, but this time it was 5 minutes after I loaded in. It did this 3 or 4 more times before I looked at my rig and noticed my two side case fans weren't working. Both of these were plugged in via 3 pin connections, one directly to the mobo and the other to a fanbus in the back of my case (the fan bus still had 2 other fans running properly connected to it). I hooked both side case funs up via a 4-pin molex to the power supply and tried again thinking maybe the system was getting hot. Not the issue apparently because it reset upon playing for a short while again.

I downloaded smartfan (or something to that effect) to monitor temps and played the game in windowed mode. I am running a Intel Core i5-3750k and a Radeon HD 7850. Core temps were around 30-35c while gaming and gpu temps were at ~60c neither of which are out of norms per reviews for these items i've read on this site.

I figured the only other item I could easily test (given I don't have and extra video card or power supply handy) was the RAM. I booted memtest86 via a USB drive last night and tested both sticks individually and in dual channel with no issues.

My guess at this point is my power supply is bad. I've read elsewhere that typically when it's the ram or gpu you'll get an error or blue screen and you'll likely see artifacting if its the gpu.
I'm thinking my next move is to purchase a new power supply and hook it up as there is no way I can test my current power supply under load. As a side note the computer runs fine during ever other operation (netflix, itunes, surfing, etc.)

Anyone have other suggestions? Any tips appreciated.

honkyharris

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Something i'll try tonight is to uninstall the current version of catalyst control center and reinstall. I recently upgraded the driver and that certainly could be an issue as well.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
That definitely sounds like a power issue. Not necessarily the power supply. Could be power delivery to the motherboard as well (components on the boards).

I would, however, RMA that power supply unit back to OCZ usin their powerswap feature.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

yup.. couldn't agree more.. this is not the typical problems most ppl will have on their just a few months old rig.. try RMA the psu..