Is it an overclocker?

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
So I want to uprgrade from my evga gts 450 to a amd radeon hd 7970 or nvidia's gtx 680 when is gets released i'm waiting for both to come out. While both to me look like there going to be very capable cards I'm wondering with whatever i end up buying will it overclock? Ive read some results on overclocked 7970's and there have been some pretty significant performance increases but also some that just wouldn't overclock... I'm looking for advice on what company would be most likely to produce the best overclockers and wondering if a card that's already overclocked is more likely to overclock better?

Solution
Both the AMD 7900 series and the Nvidia Kepler GTX 680 are produced using the new smaller 28 nm fabrication process. The smaller circuitry produces less heat and therefore these new generation cards should all be pretty good overclockers.

All the same, each individual GPU is different. If you ever wanted to find out how good of an overclocker your own card is, the latest version of GPU-Z has a function that reads your GPU's "Asic Quality". Asic Quality is a measure of your individual GPU's quality level and overclocking potential. Just right-click on the top title bar and select "Read Asic Quality...".

GPU-Z download:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2120/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.0.html

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Like you said, from what we've seen the 7970 overclocks like crazy. That would be a good choice if you like overclocking.

We wont know how the 680 fares until its released, however the supposed specs put it in very likely territory for good overclocking also. I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet though.

Any company that makes the graphics card uses the same chip, they jump may clock it differently or have different fans/heatsinks. So an already overclocked chip will not overclock even higher.
Heat is usually the limiting factor in overclocking, so cards that come with two fans or bigger fans will tend to overclock a little better than those that don't.

Hope this helps! :)

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

I guess i forgot they all use the same chip lol I'm really excited to overclock one of the two but am worried about the chance of getting stuck with one that wont overclock :p

Both the AMD 7900 series and the Nvidia Kepler GTX 680 are produced using the new smaller 28 nm fabrication process. The smaller circuitry produces less heat and therefore these new generation cards should all be pretty good overclockers.

All the same, each individual GPU is different. If you ever wanted to find out how good of an overclocker your own card is, the latest version of GPU-Z has a function that reads your GPU's "Asic Quality". Asic Quality is a measure of your individual GPU's quality level and overclocking potential. Just right-click on the top title bar and select "Read Asic Quality...".

GPU-Z download:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2120/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.0.html

Solution

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

I had no clue there was a quality rating lol i got a 86% on my evga gts 450