Is my CPU to hot??

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
My Intel P4 runs around 59C idle and about 76C immediately after running mark03.

I do have it clocked from 3.0 up to 3.4.

Should I get a third party cooler or is this nothing to worry about?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My Intel P4 runs around 59C idle and about 76C immediately after running mark03.

I do have it clocked from 3.0 up to 3.4.

Should I get a third party cooler or is this nothing to worry about?

It's a Prescott Yeah 76C under full load is a pretty normal temprature. But you could consider a 3rd party cooler

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Doh..

Testing Thermal Throtting

I guess it is normal.

Above link shows northwood and prescott.

I read part of it:

The system with a Prescott CPU shuts down at a higher temperature than that with a Northwood. The latter's peak was, in our case, 98°C, while Prescott never shut down at temperatures below 101°C, sometimes even working on at 105°C.

Wow.. :oops:

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
personally i feel 76C is too hot for a load temp and a better coolre will drop that substancially. but on the other hand 76*C wont damage anything, i just think its too warm.

hows that air feel blowing out teh back of your case? like a heater, yeah.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
After reading the link I had, I just realised that:

1.) Northwoods, even though they run cooler, the back throttling won't save it, it will get to the point to where the system shuts off.

2.) Prescot, even though they run hotter, seems as though that generation takes the heat better then northwoods. The back throttle on it can keep it running, even past 101C, and resumed working correctly without system shut down.

So I thought that was interesting to know, about the back throttle between the 2.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Wow! Prescotts Run 1*C over the boiling point of water. And onm Heat sink and Fans.

Wow. Prescotts never cease to Impress. Imagine These without a heatsink or anything They'll run hott enough to replace a Nuclear Rod in a Nuclear Reactor. 1000*C easly :lol: :lol:

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
personally i feel 76C is too hot for a load temp and a better coolre will drop that substancially. but on the other hand 76*C wont damage anything, i just think its too warm.

This is my opinion too... of course thats part of the reason I don't own a Prescott.

-mcg

Mobile CPUs generally run that hot. My 2.2GHz Pentium 4-M (35W) laptop chip idles at 65 C and will hit near 80 C under a severe load. The latter P4s ran very hot and Intel simply took the tricks from the mobile chips that let them run at scalding temperatures and applied them to the Prescotts.

76 C is pretty hot though, even if it isn't hot enough to toast the chip. All that heat isn't good for other things in your case, so a a 3rd-party cooler and adequate ventilation insode the case would be good to look into. I'd look into the 3rd-party cooler just because Intel's are very noisy and not all that effective.

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Thats the thing though, the air coming out of the back of my case (exhaust) doesn't feel all that hot. When I take the side panel off my case it isn't like opening up an oven so I assume the heat dissipation isn't that much. My card, which sucks, doesn't have its own cooler and only raises the temps in my case as opposed to moving more air.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
76c seems a bit too hot. try reapply the thermal paste, get a good one like Artic Silver. it may lower the temperature a bit.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Wow! Prescotts Run 1*C over the boiling point of water. And onm Heat sink and Fans.

Wow. Prescotts never cease to Impress. Imagine These without a heatsink or anything They'll run hott enough to replace a Nuclear Rod in a Nuclear Reactor. 1000*C easly :lol: :lol:

Errr, the CPU HS fan was turned off to reach 101-105C with the HS intact, with a full load on the CPU. I wonder how hot an AMD 64 processor would get with the fan turned off at 100 percent usage. :p

Thing is, the test pretty much proved that the back throttle feature is better on the prescot then the northwood.

When the fan was turned off the northwood, it reach 94-98C. Which to me is close enough to say that it is comparable to the prescott on reaching high temps.

76c seems a bit too hot. try reapply the thermal paste, get a good one like Artic Silver. it may lower the temperature a bit.
That link I provided shows when the 3.2 prescot was 100 percent reached and stablized at 76C with the fan running. So I would say he is okay, especially since he is OC to 3.4 ghz.

But I won't argue that a 3rd party HSF would be a good investment to keep things perhaps cooler. :wink: