Sign in with
Your question

Best intel chipset for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 3:26:45 PM

Hi guys

I am looking forward on upgrading my mobo and I was wondering which is the best intel chipset for gaming?

Thanks in advance!

More about : intel chipset gaming

a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 3:26:57 PM

I wouldn't say there is a "best chipset for gaming". There are chipsets in the Sandy/Ivy family that support overclocking, but you need a CPU that supports the feature as well. What is your current configuration?
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 3:33:26 PM

nekulturny said:
I wouldn't say there is a "best chipset for gaming". There are chipsets in the Sandy/Ivy family that support overclocking, but you need a CPU that supports the feature as well. What is your current configuration?

Intel DX58SO - Corsair 4x4GB - i7 920 3.36GHz OC - EVGA GTX580 - 1TB Seagate - Silverstone Raven ST-RV03B - 24 Samsung P2450 - Corsair TX750M
I am looking forward on changing my cpu as well.
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 3:37:40 PM

Well, let me ask you a couple other questions. What games are you looking to play at what resolutions? What games are you playing now that you think can be improved performance-wise? And what is your budget?

The reason I ask is because even though the i7-920 is a couple years old, its still a perfectly viable processor for gaming, even today. It performs about as well in gaming as my Phenom II @ 4.0GHZ, which likewise while not the best on the market currently, is still perfectly viable. Most games draw the bulk of their performance from the video card, not the CPU.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 3:44:28 PM

I play COD, Battlefield, L.A Noire and whatever might be interested in. I always play at 1080p. Regarding the budget I am looking forward to spend around 500 pounds for mobo and cpu.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 3:58:27 PM

You're welcome. Uhh. I think 2 things.

1. It wont work, thats an LGA1366 socket mobo, the i7-920 is an LGA1156. Which leads us to my second thought. Not really any benefit to be seen from a motherboard change anyway, you already have a decent overclock on the 920.

2. Both LGA1366 and 1156 are end of life. Theres no much reason to invest in the older standard. Especially since the current LGA1155 itself is scheduled to be end of life mid 2013. (Intel uses sockets for 2 years and switches based on their current roadmap which last time I looked has their "battleplan" laid out clear up into 2021)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 4:04:40 PM

Nop. The 920 is 1366 socket.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 4:06:02 PM

Hmm, my mistake.

Still, same 2 arguments apply really. Its an older standard, and not much gain to be had from a motherboard upgrade.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 4:13:01 PM

Well the thing is that the only two new valuable features is usb3.0 and sata III. As long as a mobo can support that newer technology, I am personally fulfilled.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 4:54:55 PM

Gate9er said:
Well the thing is that the only two new valuable features is usb3.0 and sata III. As long as a mobo can support that newer technology, I am personally fulfilled.

Yea, this is true.. But like I said in the beginning, really that CPU is powerful enough to handle those games you mentioned, and pretty much any other game you come across for the time being. Theres not really much advantage to be had with USB 3.0 nor SATA III. There really aren't that many usb 3.0 devices in commonplace yet. Yes there are some, but its not really *that mainstream*, SATA III, eh.. not really a big selling point either, all traditional hard drives still don't really saturate SATA I fully. Now, if you were planning on running an SSD as a boot drive, then you might have something, but the difference will still be largely marginal, SATA III is backward compatible, so its not like a SATA III interface SSD won't work. And again, you're still investing in a 4 year old standard (LGA1366), its your money, but I personally wouldn't, especially for those 2 features which are several years away from really being worthwhile.

Edit:
Intel and Apple is trying to push Thunderbolt technology into the market, supposedly its faster than USB 3.0, I really don't see Thunderbolt taking off, I expect it will be all the rage for a year or two then go quietly into the night like iomega Zip Drives and Sony MiniDisk. Theres just nothing Thunderbolt can bring to the table that can't be achieved with cheaper and less exclusive technologies. But you never know do you?
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 4:58:34 PM

The reason why I am really looking forward of changing my mobo is because I think it is faulty. Th reason I am saying this is because after purchasing two new psu's the same problem still appears after a while. I am pretty sure that it is the mobo (if there a fault somewhere) due to an incident I had a few months ago. Anw I think I will buy an SSD for the time being and next year, I will change both my mobo and cpu... I think it is the best thing to do
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 5:05:05 PM

It could be your overclock, there is always a risk when you take your system beyond its factory recommended specifications. But like anything else worth doing in life, theres a risk.

The Corsair TX series are top notch PSUs, we share good taste in that respect, so it just might be you have instability, or overheating from the OC? Yes, the board could be just "worn out", the power mosfets and capacitors might be telling you its time to pack it in.

As far as an SSD, honestly you might hold off on that a bit too, theres a price war going on to get the prices down. In the past 6 months SSDs price per gigabyte have already dropped quite a bit. But if you want to invest in one now, I would suggest a Crucial M4 of at least 128GB capacity.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 5:09:05 PM

Hm.. Ok nekulturny, thanks for the help mate, I really appreciate it. I will take into consideration everything and see what I can do. Is there any way that I can check if my mobo is working properly?
!