Sign in with
Your question

7970 not performing on par with others

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2012 1:05:56 AM

I'm having some issues with my 7970 at the moment. From what I've read of other users with their 7970s, BF3 in particular, it seems like I should be getting more FPS then what I end up with.

Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz
Sapphire Radeon 7970
SeaSonic X 1050W
600GB WD Black / 2TB SeaGate Barracuda
Gigabyte 770TA-UD3
HAF-X

These are some quick benchmarks from a 64 player Caspian Border match.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
1580, 30000, 39, 88, 52.667

1577, 30000, 36, 74, 52.567

1721, 30000, 36, 94, 57.367

I tried following the advice in this thread and it helped to a small degree but I'm not getting the amazing increase it seems like that other person did.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] sues-r7970

I uninstalled all of my AMD drivers/CCC and ran driver sweeper to make sure. After that I reinstalled just the display/audio drivers and am currently running 8.950.5.0. Since I couldn't use CCC to set my clocks I installed MSI afterburner and have it set to 1125/1575 along with a custom fan profile. My card temps never go above 60c.

Is it my CPU that is holding me back? It was my understanding that BF3 was GPU bound whereas in Skyrim I know that it's my CPU holding me back.

I have up until the 29th of this month to figure out the issue with my 7970 before I have to RMA. I'd rather keep it if I could though. Thanks in advance for any help. It's much appreciated.

Oh yeah, here are the settings I am running BF3 on.

More about : 7970 performing par

March 21, 2012 1:08:52 AM

What is your monitor/resolution? That may play a part, but the real problem is your CPU. While BF3 isn't hard on CPU's in single player, it is hit a lot harder in multiplayer.
m
l
March 21, 2012 1:12:07 AM

bystander said:
What is your monitor/resolution? That may play a part, but the real problem is your CPU. While BF3 isn't hard on CPU's in single player, it is hit a lot harder in multiplayer.

60GHz monitor at 1980x1020 resolution. I posted an image of the settings I'm playing BF3 on up above but it's basically all ultra except for motion blur off.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 1:17:53 AM

Everything I've read to this point has said BF3 in single player is not CPU intensive and should allow for high FPS, but BF3 in multi-player is very CPU intensive and will not get as good of FPS.

You should run some tests in single player before you make your judgements.
m
l
March 21, 2012 1:34:38 AM

now lets all finish this thread with a glass of turnup juice and our common pity for xbox 360 owners....
m
l
March 21, 2012 2:41:17 AM

BigMack70 said:
+1

Your CPU is definitely going to limit you big time in large multiplayer maps. That's why your fps is lower than expected. Your GPU is performing fine.

Also, almost all benchmarks of BF3 are from some portion of the single player, which is why they have sometimes average fps which is much higher than anyone gets in 64-player MP.

I'll run some single player levels and post my results but I was more comparing myself to other players results in multiplayer instead of reviewer benchmarks. Anyways I guess I'll just have to wait it out another month or two for IvyBridge and IvyBridge motherboard reviews to upgrade.

If all goes well I'll be back to select the best answer and close the thread :wahoo:  .
m
l
March 21, 2012 2:44:08 AM

rageofthepeon said:
I'll run some single player levels and post my results but I was more comparing myself to other players results. Anyways I guess I'll just have to wait it out another month or two for IvyBridge and IvyBridge motherboard reviews to upgrade. Thanks for the help guys.

Even if you compare to other players in game, you are now mostly comparing their CPU to yours, as in multiplayer, that is what is holding your performance back. That said, how far behind was your performance?
m
l
March 21, 2012 2:46:16 AM

BigMack70 said:
Just make sure you're comparing to other people running quad core Phenom IIs in the ~3.3-3.7 GHz range :) 

If you really want to test your GPU results to see if it's performing as it should, you should run Unigine Heaven - it's pretty much unaffected by CPU performance and would give you aas close to a pure GPU test as you can get.

Hey, I'll go download Unigine Heaven and post my results! I just want to have piece of mind my Sapphire 7970 is performing right and that it's just my CPU causing issues. It's my first high end graphics card and convincing the wife was no easy task :na:  .
m
l
March 21, 2012 2:48:28 AM

bystander said:
Even if you compare to other players in game, you are now mostly comparing their CPU to yours, as in multiplayer, that is what is holding your performance back. That said, how far behind was your performance?

I'm usually on anandtech forums or overclock.net and those people usually have much better CPUs lol. I'm getting there with my system but still not quite there. I bought this CPU when I was a WoW crackhead and that was the only thing I played. Now that I'm done with that addiction I'm finding all these new and wonderful games to play!

Edit: Their results in multiplayer was usually always above 60fps, more like 70 or 80, for their minimum even with 4x MSAA on and everything ultra.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:41:22 AM

Here's a benchmark from Heaven at very basic settings.

Edit: Larger version now uploaded.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:41:47 AM

I would say with the 7970 the minimum cpu you should be running with it is an i5 2500k with at least a 4.3ghz overclock (usually easy without any changes) or higher. You're running the best gpu atm on an older cpu.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:46:56 AM

lmulder said:
I would say with the 7970 the minimum cpu you should be running with it is an i5 2500k with at least a 4.3ghz overclock (usually easy without any changes) or higher. You're running the best gpu atm on an older cpu.

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't support LGA155 which means I have to upgrade them both. I plan on getting an IvyBridge 3770K with a new motherboard that supports 2 way crossfire in a month or two. Until then I have to make do :p  .
m
l
!