Sign in with
Your question

PSU or GPU issue

Last response: in Components
September 11, 2012 5:36:47 PM

I have had this build running perfectly for 8 months since it was finished. i was in the middle of a Dota 2 match when my PC shut off. Could not reboot after didnt post no beeps, nothing. i unplugged everything from the power supply and reconnected each component, it would finally do something when i had everything except the video card in. Is my PSU going bad or do i not have enough juice, or is my GPU bad (i hope not). no over clock other than factory over clocks on gpu and Mobo. Iadded everything that requires power in specs.

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8150 @ 3.6ghz (base)
Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula
RAM: 12g (3x4) Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
Memory: 2x OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
GPU: XFX Radeon 7950 Double D (factory overclock 900mhz)
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750w
Cooling: Swiftech p35 pump
Logysis 12" cold cathode (only 1)

More about : psu gpu issue

a c 158 ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 5:59:20 PM

Sounds like a GPU issue. Have you checked the system event log to see what errors you got on shutdown?
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:13:26 PM

Rugger said:
Sounds like a GPU issue. Have you checked the system event log to see what errors you got on shutdown?

the only thing that happens when I try to boot is a little twich of the fans, even gpu fans and a split second flash of light on the LED boot sequence on the mobo ( the O.C., Start and Reset buttons are lit constantly as usual). There was not a blue screen of death or error message on shut down. it was as if there was a power outage, what i thought had happened, one second i was gaming and next second it was completely shutdown. this is with everything plugged in. Without the GPU it will start the boot sequence and stop with VGA LED lit meaning error since its not connected.

m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 11, 2012 7:20:54 PM

Do you have another GPU that you can try in your system? Maybe a buddies' GPU?
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:37:40 PM

Currently trying to find one. My confusion is that even if the GPU went bad, it would post and the boot process would still occur with the mobo displaying the VGA error LED. Why is there nothing happening when I try to power up, not even a beep or anything?
m
l
!