Reference Coolers, and aftermarket coolers.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I was wondering if anyone could speculate the pros and cons of both blower style coolers, and aftermarket coolers? When I say aftermarket, I mean 3rd party companies, like gigabytes triple fan configuration, or MSI's Twin Frozr series.

I personally own a gtx 460 twin frozr by MSI. I didn't think that I would need a blower style fan, because of the airflow in my antec 1200 is more than capable of moving air. From what I have read aftermarket cooling works much better, but can be a problem for cases with poor airflow.

Also, a side note; I have the 3 120 mm fans in front as an intake, 2 120 mm fans on the lower back as an intake for my corsair h60, and an intake on my side panel, near my gfx card. The rest are exhaust, and my temps are always great.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I have read that having an intake on your side panel near your gpu can actually hinder air flow, and reduce temps. Because I have solid airflow, and an aftermarket gpu, does that null and void that idea?

Also, do Twin FRozr coolers intake air at the fans, or exhaust them at the fans? I do feel a little airflow in front of the extra slot that is taken up by the heatsink, and fans.

If it intakes air at the fan, then I would think that the intake would help GPU temps, which have never gone by 60 C unless I apply a heavy OC. I'm also thinking that the extra airflow will help run by components on the PCB, which, I have noticed can get pretty warm. Especially near the power connectors, which is a given on any card, if I'm not mistaken.