If you reinstall windows 7, do you need a neew product key?

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
My friend told me that if you've registered windows 7 and reinstall the home premium edition, you're old product key is no longer valid. Is this true? if so, how do you get a new key? (I'm about to reinstall)

Solution
Don't believe everything your friends tell you. You should be fine. The very worst that would happen is that you might have to call Microsoft to reactivate your installation, but with a first reinstall this is unlikely.

That's funny. According to another post you have just made you bought a key from another site! Inn fact, this is the third site you have recommended in the past few minutes.

Avoiding anything recommended by this guy. He is a spammer and the sites he mentioned are scams.

Raeesa Asmal

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
My hdd crashed and died (it had countless bad blocks on it). I replaced it with an sdd and my Windows 7 Professional claims to no longer be valid. My key which was recovered using Belarc is apparently invalid. According to Microsoft, they say that I must re-purchase a license and they can't help me. Apparently it's not as simple as calling and explaining the problem. They also claimed that my key was all over the internet which is weird because it was never shared by me. My Windows 7 Professional ame pre-installed on my LG laptop when I bought it. (It was bought from an online vendor based in Durban, South Africa)

Sounds like the vendor installed a pirated copy of Windows on it.

Does it have a COA on the bottom?