Background images

Why does all my images stored in "My Pictures" automatically get copied into
my background folder by default? How can I edit the background file?
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about background images

    "skidboot" <skidboot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Why does all my images stored in "My Pictures" automatically get copied
    into
    | my background folder by default? How can I edit the background file?
    | Thanks

    Because "My Pictures" is one of the default locations where XP looks for
    background images. I don't know what you mean by "edit the background file."

    Hi,

    If you dont want all the pictures located at "My Pictures" to be diplayed in the desktop tab of
    display properties, move the pictures to an alternate location. Images located in "My Pictures"
    automatically show up on the desktop tab.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you dont want all the pictures located at "My Pictures" to be diplayed in the desktop tab of
    > display properties, move the pictures to an alternate location. Images located in "My Pictures"
    > automatically show up on the desktop tab.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "skidboot" <skidboot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Why does all my images stored in "My Pictures" automatically get copied into
    > > my background folder by default? How can I edit the background file?
    > > Thanks
    >
    >I want to find out how to edit the list in the desktop background part of Display Properties. I have too many items and want to delete some. How do I just delete the ones I want to?

    The pictures that show up under display properties, desktop are located in
    these folders:

    C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Pictures
    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

    Another checkpoint:

    Type in Start Run
    "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"

    To hide and/or remove/relocate:

    Under My Computer scroll down to Shared Documents/Shared Pictures. If
    Shared Pictures is listed, remove it.

    TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be added
    to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.

    Workarounds:

    Create another folder (under your user profile), remove the pictures from My
    Pictures that you don't want listed under Backgrounds and in the My Pictures
    folder, create a shortcut to the new folder. Or create subfolders within My
    Pictures.

    Add Folders to the "Save As" Dialog (Places Bar) Line 117

    Disable Default Save As to My Pictures (Line 263)

    Add Folder to Start Menu to replace/re-route My Pictures (Line 2)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Or create subfolders within My Pictures.

    Please excuse me for breaking in in this discussion...

    I have the 'problem' that I get thousands of files listed in the background
    selection window (via control panel / appearance and themes / change the
    desktop background). This is probably because al my digital photographs
    reside in My Pictures.

    However, I have My Pictures organized pretty well with subfolders, actually
    there is no single image in My Pictures, everything is stored in subfolders
    like Adobe, Masters (where my digital photo 'negatives' live), Desktop (where
    files live that are downsized and sharpened to serve as background image, so
    these are the only files I would like to see listed) etc.

    Kelly's quote gives me the impression that subfolders in My Pictures would
    be a way to prevent all files from showing up in the background selection
    window. If this impression is correct there is something wrong with my
    installation.

    Can someone please confirm that I interpret the quote correct?
    And of course, if my interpretation is correct, how do I shoot this trouble?

    TIA,
    Herman.

    Please ignore my above question, I opened a new topic with this question as
    the current topic may be overdue ;-)
  7. Background removal easy, cheap and fast! Say bye to the Background on your Images say hello to higher conversion rates - www.Byeground.com the leading background remover offers affordable services such as: photoshop masking, keep clipping path, background removal, knock out mask and image cut out that's fast and affordable within 24 hours - best of all prices starts at $0.85 per image at Byeground.com.

Configuration Default Microsoft Customization Windows XP