Maybe *I* need stabilization

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
July 11, 2005 3:09:06 PM

I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...

- turning on image-stabilization
- selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
- and dropped the shutter to -2/3.

I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
post.

I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
wherever I take my camera.

--
Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow

More about : stabilization

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:09:07 PM

"Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
<wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote in message
> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.

You wouldn't by chance be holding the camera out in front of you and
composing the picture on the LCD would you? If so I'd suggest not doing
that. My experience with that type of thing, with an Olympus P&S, is that
you can never hold the camera still especially at slower shutter speeds.

HTH

Rob
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:09:07 PM

a.. Use a tripod when photographing static subjects like landscapes.
a.. Push the shutter button gently and firmly, rather than jabbing it.
a.. Brace yourself against something solid, like a wall or tree.
a.. Make sure that you wait until the exposure is complete. Many
point-and-shoot cameras have a pause between when the shutter release is
pressed and when the picture is taken. Hold the button firmly down until you
hear the shutter trip.

I found the above on a Kodak site. I'll add that taking a deep breath and
then slowly releasing it during the shutter press also can help. Also, lay
off the caffeine.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:13:59 PM

"Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)" wrote:

> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
your breath just makes me shake more!
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:13:59 GMT, Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)" wrote:
>>
>> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
>> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
>> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
>> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>>
>> - turning on image-stabilization
>> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
>> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>>
>> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
>> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
>> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
>> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
>> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
>> post.
>>
>> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
>> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
>> wherever I take my camera.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
>> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
>> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.
>
>I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
>tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
>against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
>your breath just makes me shake more!
Use the 2 second timer, also try the burst mode.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:06:33 PM

Practice. Watch how You are holding the camera. Do not breathe too deep,
just a little bit deeper than usually. Hold Your breath when taking the
picture; take a breath and after couple of seconds take the picture, if You
hold Your breath for half a minute You definitely will be shaking. Press
Your elbows towards Your side. If possible lean against a support, anyway
watch how You are standing (Your legs). o not press the shutter too fast, do
not jerk it. With practice You will be able to take reasonably sharp
pictures even without IS in the shutter speed area of say 1/8 - 1/2 seconds.
And, well ... do not be nervous, photography is supposed to be fun.
Good luck
Väinö Louekari

"Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
<wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote in message
> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:55:45 AM

irwell wrote:

> >I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
> >tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
> >against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
> >your breath just makes me shake more!
> Use the 2 second timer, also try the burst mode.

It's remembering to do these things when I have camera in hand that's
the problem :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:30:08 AM

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.

Press the shutter release while holding your breath, and in between heart beats
if possible. :)
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:39:14 AM

Ben Thomas wrote:

> Press the shutter release while holding your breath, and in between heart beats
> if possible. :)

But don't frget to breathe Daniel San... most important!

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:04:15 AM

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.

Hi Walter...

See if you can't find one of those tiny tripods... about
5 or 6 inches high when collapsed; extends to maybe 10 inches
or so. Easily fit in your bag or your back pocket. Weighs only
a few ounces. Only a few dollars at most; try Walmart or equivalent.

Use the self timer. Press the button, compose your shot,
and you have 10 or 12 seconds to let go of the camera
completely :)

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:40:13 AM

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.

Some people are just naturally 'twitchy', while others resemble the Rock
of Gibraltar (in steadiness, not size). As we age, we seem to go more
toward the 'twitchy' side. When I was young, I could hand-hold 3 second
exposures with no problem. Now, I have trouble with anything longer
than 1/30 sec. Learning the proper way to hold the camera, and use the
shutter may help, as may bracing the camera (or yourself) against
something, holding the camera firmly against your head (no arms length
LCD framing), and holding the camera so that pressure on the shutter
button is offset by pressure against the bottom of the camera. Straps,
chains, and monopods are also of some help, and much easier to deal with
than a tripod.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Thanks to all who replied (too many to reply to individually). I'll
practice indoors for now, and try agin in a few days when the current
heat wave is over... and I can walk 20 minutes through the park without
risking heat stroke.

--
Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
the instructions at the end of the 550 message.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:17:07 PM

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:

> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.

You don't say what the effective shutter speeds are, but on a
conventional 35mm camera you are doing something wrong if you can't get
a fully sharp image handheld at exposures shorter than
1/<focal_length_in_mm>.

Examine the specular highlights in the bad shots to see what you are
doing wrong - they will show you how the camera moved most clearly.

> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.

Hold still and squeeze the shutter release gently. Don't expect to hold
the camera at arms length and get anything like the same control.

Regards,
Martin Brown
July 12, 2005 4:28:41 PM

In article <42D2705F.FDEB3351@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
> tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
> against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
> your breath just makes me shake more!

No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:28:42 PM

Mike wrote:

> In article <42D2705F.FDEB3351@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> > I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
> > tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
> > against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
> > your breath just makes me shake more!
> >
> No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!

It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:54:40 PM

Try to hold your camera firmly but softly. Tense muscles transmit
vibration..relaxed muscles absorbe vibration. Do some 'net research on
pistol shooting; those guys have got it down to a science. As for myself, I
like to draw in perhaps half a breath, hold it and shoot.
"Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
<wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote in message
> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:25:16 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:40:13 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

> When I was young, I could hand-hold 3 second exposures with no problem.
> Now, I have trouble with anything longer than 1/30 sec.

1/30 sec. is pretty good, even for a yoot. Amazing for a coot. I
find claims of good 3 sec. handheld exposures dubious, although it's
relative to your equipment and expectations. I imagine you weren't
using Leicas or even any of Kodak's very nice reflex cameras at the
time, nor would the 3-sec. pictures have been acceptable for
publication in magazines such as Boy's Life. But for little
snapshots (and back then many were smaller than 3 1/2"x5") a little
blur might not have been very noticeable or even of much concern.
You're in luck though. Due to the statute of limitations, 50 year
old EXIF data can't be used to refute your claims. :)
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:02:41 PM

Eddy Vortex wrote:
> Try to hold your camera firmly but softly. Tense muscles transmit
> vibration..relaxed muscles absorbe vibration. Do some 'net research
> on
> pistol shooting; those guys have got it down to a science. As for
> myself, I like to draw in perhaps half a breath, hold it and shoot.
> "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
> <wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote in message
>> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With
>> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem
>> to get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still.
>> I don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I
>> tried...
>>
>> - turning on image-stabilization
>> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus
>> good-bye)
>> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>>
>> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the
>> fastest combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the
>> two best shots I took were slightly underexposed shots of a
>> footbridge in the shade, where the shutter was probably slower than
>> on any of my other shots. But the good shots benefited from me
>> resting the camera on a convenient post.
>>
>> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a
>> technique
>> for relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod
>> along wherever I take my camera.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
>> wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
>> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked,
>> follow
>> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

Long ago I attended a seminar intended to "raise the consciousness" of
participants. One of the areas raised most poignantly was that of
Mind-over-body. We saw a credible film in which a hypnotized person
responded to a touch by a pencil eraser by raising a blister, having
been told the pencil was a hot poker.

Another less destructive and painful demonstration involved balance
and resistance to tipping. This one was remarkable because we were
there, did it and felt its effects. Everyone was on his/her knees,
posture as if standing, but shorter, arms relaxed at sides. The
facilitator came by and said we should resist his attempts to tip us
sideways by pulling down on one hand or another. We were easily
overbalanced, and staggered, so to speak, to keep from falling. Even
forewarned, no amount of effort or strength could maintain erectness.

Then we were instructed to half-close our eyes and imagine we were
mighty oak trees, rooted deep toward the center of the Earth, solid
and heavy. Under those conditions even a full-weight downward pull on
a hand simply hanging at the end of a relaxed arm could not disturb
our equilibrium.

Our bodies knew how to translate the vectors, once they knew what we
wanted, and they learned what we wanted by our focusing and
de-focusing in terms they could understand.

Any road, I get pretty good slow-shutter results when I remember to be
a centuries-old oak rather than just a big-fraction-of-a-century-old
lump of flesh with declining frequency in the hearing and other
important areas, and increasing frequency in natural grip resonance.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Here's a few more techniques no one has mentioned:

1. Turn the camera upside down and brace it against your forehead.

Yeah, it looks funny, but it helps. Of course you have to
use the viewfinder, not the LCD on the back.

2. Use a camera strap to brace yourself.

The best way is get or make a big strap and put it around
your body, under your arms. When you hold the camera, put
some tension on the strap so, in effect, you're supported
at four points - two hands plus two strap connection points.

Marksmen do this with rifle slings to steady their aim.

Bird watchers use special straps on their binoculars to do
this too.

You can, of course, combine this with using your forehead for
a five point stabilization.

3. Practice moving your finger without moving your hand.

This is a learnable technique. Marksmen learn to do this.
Watch your hand as you move your finger and study the best
way to move it without moving anything else on the hand.
Then practice with the camera.

And of course you can combine your minimal finger movement
with all other techniques.

Fortunately, pictures cost nothing with digital cameras
so you can practice as much as you like without spending
any money.

Good luck.

Alan
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:11:50 PM

ASAAR wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:40:13 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
>

>>When I was young, I could hand-hold 3 second exposures with no problem.
>> Now, I have trouble with anything longer than 1/30 sec.
>

> 1/30 sec. is pretty good, even for a yoot. Amazing for a coot. I
> find claims of good 3 sec. handheld exposures dubious, although it's
> relative to your equipment and expectations. I imagine you weren't
> using Leicas or even any of Kodak's very nice reflex cameras at the
> time, nor would the 3-sec. pictures have been acceptable for
> publication in magazines such as Boy's Life. But for little
> snapshots (and back then many were smaller than 3 1/2"x5") a little
> blur might not have been very noticeable or even of much concern.
> You're in luck though. Due to the statute of limitations, 50 year
> old EXIF data can't be used to refute your claims. :)

The shots were done inside a church with a Minox B, and ASA25 film.
Given the enlargement needed to print at 3.5x5, any blur would have been
quite noticeable. Sure wish I could be that solid now....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:56:36 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:11:50 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

> The shots were done inside a church with a Minox B, and ASA25 film.
> Given the enlargement needed to print at 3.5x5, any blur would have been
> quite noticeable. Sure wish I could be that solid now....

I remember that teeny spy camera. Might have bought one too if I
could have afforded it and come up with some reasons to justify it
despite the impracticality of the camera. A friend had one so I was
slightly familiar with them. Well made, good lens, but given the
negative size, could produce decent 3.5x5's at best, nothing
exceptional. But it did what it was designed to do.

Do you recall the focal length of the Minox's lens? That might
have had more to do with being able to manage to get reasonably
steady shots at low shutter speeds than anything else. Just saying
that when you were young you were able to take relatively blur-free
handheld shots with 3 second shutter speeds is more than a bit
misleading when you don't also disclose that you weren't doing so
with a camera typically used in that era (35mm, maybe roll film).
Unless of course you could take steady 3 second shots with those
cameras also. :)

> Sure wish I could be that solid now....

You don't need to be. There are digital cameras these days that
are almost as small and have the advantage of built-in flash. And
capable of far greater print sizes than the Minox B. For a slight
increase in size, you can also get cameras with built-in IS. Or try
the poor man's IS. A bottle or two of Jax. :)
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:05:24 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:09:06 +0000, Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my
real address) wrote:

> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
>
> - turning on image-stabilization
> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
>
> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
> post.
>
> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
> wherever I take my camera.
The best advice I can give is to gently breathe out, then gently breathe
in,gently breathe out and gently sqeeze the shutter button while the
breath is held out.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

In article <42D3162B.BF36DDC9@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> Mike wrote:
> >
> > In article <42D2705F.FDEB3351@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> > > I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
> > > tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
> > > against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
> > > your breath just makes me shake more!
> > >
> > No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!
>
> It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :o )

I know how you feel sometimes. Was walking along the coast a few weeks back and saw the beginnings of a fantastic
sunset, but there were houses/telephone poles etc in the way of a great shot. I sprinted to the top of a hill (around
100m vertical climb) in time to get the best of it. Was very glad that there was a 'trig' marker post right on top of
the hill that I could rest the camera on while taking the shots.

Mike
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:03:22 PM

Mike wrote:

> In article <42D3162B.BF36DDC9@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> > Mike wrote:
> > >
> > > In article <42D2705F.FDEB3351@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> > > >
> > > No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!
> >
> > It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :o )
> >
> I know how you feel sometimes. Was walking along the coast a few weeks back and saw the beginnings of a fantastic
> sunset, but there were houses/telephone poles etc in the way of a great shot. I sprinted to the top of a hill (around
> 100m vertical climb) in time to get the best of it. Was very glad that there was a 'trig' marker post right on top of
> the hill that I could rest the camera on while taking the shots.
>
> Mike

:o ) I get where I want, I stand, I take aim, I sway, I breathe, sway
some more, then my arms start shaking... I can't even use a monopod as
it doesn't counteract sway!
--

Mike wrote:
> In article <42D3162B.BF36DDC9@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
>> Mike wrote:
>>> In article <42D2705F.FDEB3351@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...
>>>>
>>> No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!
>> It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :o )
>>
> I know how you feel sometimes. Was walking along the coast a few weeks back and saw the beginnings of a fantastic
> sunset, but there were houses/telephone poles etc in the way of a great shot. I sprinted to the top of a hill (around
> 100m vertical climb) in time to get the best of it. Was very glad that there was a 'trig' marker post right on top of
> the hill that I could rest the camera on while taking the shots.
>
> Mike
If I tried to sprint up 100m, the marker would be on my grave!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:03:23 PM

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Mike wrote:

>>> It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :o )
>>>
>> I know how you feel sometimes. Was walking along the coast a few weeks back and saw the beginnings of a fantastic
>> sunset, but there were houses/telephone poles etc in the way of a great shot. I sprinted to the top of a hill (around
>> 100m vertical climb) in time to get the best of it. Was very glad that there was a 'trig' marker post right on top of
>> the hill that I could rest the camera on while taking the shots.
>>
>> Mike
>
> :o ) I get where I want, I stand, I take aim, I sway, I breathe, sway
> some more, then my arms start shaking... I can't even use a monopod as
> it doesn't counteract sway!
Sway shouldn't cause a problem unless you are taking a very long
exposure. Anything over a couple of seconds would benefit from a
tripod, or available substitute, like the marker you mentioned.

--

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Mike wrote:

> >> It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :o )
> >>
> > I know how you feel sometimes. Was walking along the coast a few weeks back and saw the beginnings of a fantastic
> > sunset, but there were houses/telephone poles etc in the way of a great shot. I sprinted to the top of a hill (around
> > 100m vertical climb) in time to get the best of it. Was very glad that there was a 'trig' marker post right on top of
> > the hill that I could rest the camera on while taking the shots.
> >
> > Mike
> If I tried to sprint up 100m, the marker would be on my grave!
>
> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

he heh
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:03:24 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Mike wrote:
> >> In article <42D3162B.BF36DDC9@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk says...

> >> I know how you feel sometimes. Was walking along the coast a few weeks back and saw the beginnings of a fantastic
> >> sunset, but there were houses/telephone poles etc in the way of a great shot. I sprinted to the top of a hill (around
> >> 100m vertical climb) in time to get the best of it. Was very glad that there was a 'trig' marker post right on top of
> >> the hill that I could rest the camera on while taking the shots.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> > :o ) I get where I want, I stand, I take aim, I sway, I breathe, sway
> > some more, then my arms start shaking... I can't even use a monopod as
> > it doesn't counteract sway!
> Sway shouldn't cause a problem unless you are taking a very long
> exposure. Anything over a couple of seconds would benefit from a
> tripod, or available substitute, like the marker you mentioned.
>
> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

yeah, doing some night shots I carted out the tripod, first time I've
used it for a camera other than video. This new cam has an 8x zoom and
no stabiliser, but I am really an unsteady person.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:00:44 PM

Charles Schuler <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote:
>a.. Use a tripod when photographing static subjects like landscapes.
>a.. Push the shutter button gently and firmly, rather than jabbing it.
>a.. Brace yourself against something solid, like a wall or tree.
>a.. Make sure that you wait until the exposure is complete. Many
>point-and-shoot cameras have a pause between when the shutter release is
>pressed and when the picture is taken. Hold the button firmly down until you
>hear the shutter trip.

>I found the above on a Kodak site. I'll add that taking a deep breath and
>then slowly releasing it during the shutter press also can help. Also, lay
>off the caffeine.

And, in addition to those good suggestions, increase the
shutter speed if possible.

---- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:44:21 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:17:07 +0100, Martin Brown, <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> You don't say what the effective shutter speeds are,

I just went and installed WINE (Windows emulation under linux).
Under WINE, I then installed Irfan View, which everybody seems to rave
about. According to the EXIF data reported by Irfan View, the bad
images in bright sunshine were at 1/160th sec. The half-decent images of
the foot bridge in the shade were at 1/60th of a second (where I rested
the camera on a post).

> Hold still and squeeze the shutter release gently. Don't expect
> to hold the camera at arms length and get anything like the same
> control.

I think the problem is that the button is too flush with the camera
surface. If my trigger-finger is flat on the camera, light pressure
will take it to the first half-click which triggers the auto-focus.
However, I have to press down *DAMN HARD* with my finger the rest of the
way to trigger the shutter. That's probably my problem.

After some experimenting, I've come up with a different grip. I curl
my trigger finger so that my finger-nail is coming straight down on the
button. It has a better angle, and fingernail is solid versus soft
flesh, so I only need to apply light pressure to get the second half of
the click.

I'm taking a vacation day Friday, so I'll try to get up early and get
a bunch of shots in at the local park before it gets too warm.

--
Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
the instructions at the end of the 550 message.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:44:22 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 22:44:21 GMT, Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my
real address) wrote:

> I think the problem is that the button is too flush with the camera
> surface. If my trigger-finger is flat on the camera, light pressure
> will take it to the first half-click which triggers the auto-focus.
> However, I have to press down *DAMN HARD* with my finger the rest of the
> way to trigger the shutter. That's probably my problem.

If you could extend the shutter button it might help. Hardware
stores and pharmacy/general stores (such as Rite-Aid, CVS, Eckard)
sell sets of adhesive backed pads. They're available in round and
square shapes and in various sizes. They're usually made of felt, a
rubbery substance or silicone, and in a choice of thicknesses, and
are very inexpensive. If you want to make sure that your finger
doesn't accidentally slip off the button, you could experiment with
velcro instead. :)
!