Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes While Watching Video on Youtube

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2012 4:41:34 AM

This is what happened while I was watching a video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjqpAzKUN1w

This problem happens every once in a while, and so far, it only happens while I'm watching a video on Youtube (full screen or not). My computer was built in Feb. 2012, with the following specs:

• Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
  • ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
  • 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Cards
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
  • Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HDD
  • Coolermaster Haf X Case
  • Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply
  • Windows 7 64 bit

All drivers, and firmware are up to date.

• Is this more likely to be a hardware issue or software issue?
  • If it's a hardware issue, is it more likely to be a defect in the graphic card(s) or the motherboard?

Thanks.
    a b Î Nvidia
    March 21, 2012 5:06:23 AM

Do you have any stability problems aside from youtube videos? Does your system freeze or artifact when playing games? If this is just youtube it's possible that you are having flash issues. Try uninstalling and reinstalling flash. You can try disabling SLI or removing one of your video cards, that may be an issue. Finally, try rolling back to an earlier driver revision, it could be the latest nvidia drivers don't interact with flash video properly.
    m
    l
    March 21, 2012 2:46:35 PM

There are no other stability problems. Game doesn't freeze or artifact. Not yet anyway. Prime95 ran for 12 hours without errors. FurMark ran for 20 minutes without artifacts. It's hard to reproduce this problem because it doesn't always happen. I will try your suggestions.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    March 28, 2012 7:31:42 PM

I have the same problem, it have happend to me 4-5 times now. what i notice is the simlarity on our computers is the graphics card (I have 1 Gainward GeForce 560 TI Physx) and it started happening after the latest driver update to the nividia drivers. I think maybe the problems are there.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2012 8:31:32 AM

Same happens to me. I also have GF GTX 560 Ti. No problems what so ever when playing BF3 for many hours on end. But damn YT makes my PC freeze with artifacts on screen.

Same happened while I was browsing Steam - could be it uses something Flashy :) 
    m
    l
    a b Î Nvidia
    April 5, 2012 1:20:36 PM

Go into your Nvidia control panel and change your power management mode to Prefer maximum performance, some people have trouble with freezing etc when browsing or on youtube when it is set to adaptive...hope this works for you.
    m
    l
    September 20, 2012 7:55:42 AM

I have a GTX560 TI as well, with the ivy i5 k, I dunno why it does it. I can run everyone on max and youtube rapes my computer
    m
    l
    April 18, 2014 12:41:40 PM

Same problem for me...AMD Radeon R7 260X...no clue whatsoever about the fucking problem..
    BF4 on highest res..play for hours..no problems at all !!
    watch a video on youtube/vlc player..random "Black Screens of Deaths"
    m
    l
    June 24, 2014 8:51:37 PM

Would like to resurrect this thread for anyone having the same issue. I was GOING INSANE...trying to figure it out.

Cause: Google Chrome....install Opera browser....NO ISSUES. I would test it playing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xaO1rGEQ50

It locked up within first 10 seconds in Chrome, NO MATTER how many times I uninstalled Adobe Flash or reinstalled Chrome or flash.

Before blaming the hardware install Opera and run it for 1-2 days playing Youtube. BAM!

GOD BLESS...OMG...I was tweaking BIOS for weeks now...when the reason was the damn browser
    m
    l
    !