ujrkingdom

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Ok, so i got my intel core i7-3820 and ran it without a heatsink, oblivious to the fact that microprocessors heat up within microseconds (yes, i know i was stupid for doing this). i ran this on an evga x79 ftw mobo and i wanted to test if the system would boot with an external build, although i didn't have any ram while doing this so nothing came up on the screen. When i took my processor out it didn't give a trace of being burnt, no smell, no heat dissipation, it didn't even feel hot. So is my processor still burnt and will i be able to RMA it at newegg or intel if no trace of physical damage is present? :(

Solution
Why don't you install enough components, including a HSF, to test it properly? Fortunately modern processors protects themselves when appropriate cooling is not present. How could it get hot if it didn't do any work because you never installed the required components to at least get the system to POST?
Why don't you install enough components, including a HSF, to test it properly? Fortunately modern processors protects themselves when appropriate cooling is not present. How could it get hot if it didn't do any work because you never installed the required components to at least get the system to POST?

Solution

ujrkingdom

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Phew thanks for the replies, i thought i was a goner for a second. I will try it out when i get the ram and everything else. Another question, how do i clean the IHS on the cpu, since i touched it and all and prbly got some body oil on it?