Setting Windows Explorer default # of panes

I'm trying to set the defaults for Explorer to always start showing a
two-pane view so that the LHS is Folders and RHS is a default folder. I've
got the default to always go the the place, but it always starts in a single
pane. Not a big deal, but I hadn't seen anything in docs, help or forums
about how to change it.
What can I say.... I still think the UI for Fileman that let you drag and
drop between multiple directories in one window was good!

TIA...

Best Regards,
Edhawk

Edhawk <Edhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to set the defaults for Explorer to always start showing a
>two-pane view so that the LHS is Folders and RHS is a default folder. I've
>got the default to always go the the place, but it always starts in a single
>pane. Not a big deal, but I hadn't seen anything in docs, help or forums
>about how to change it.

See "Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314853) for help about how to set
up an Explorer shortcut that does what you want.

--
(tm)

kelly

File Types/Folder/Expore.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Edhawk" <Edhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set the defaults for Explorer to always start showing a
> two-pane view so that the LHS is Folders and RHS is a default folder.
> I've
> got the default to always go the the place, but it always starts in a
> single
> pane. Not a big deal, but I hadn't seen anything in docs, help or forums
> about how to change it.
> What can I say.... I still think the UI for Fileman that let you drag and
> drop between multiple directories in one window was good!
>
> TIA...
>
> Best Regards,
> Edhawk

Edhawk -

Kelly has the answer, but perhaps a little more detail would help.

One of the first configuration settings I apply to each Windows environment
in which I work is the change you are describing. By default, shortcuts like
"My Computer" and "My Documents" open with what is often called the "My
Documents" view. This means that only the document area is displayed, with
no Folders tree at the left. The application running is still Explorer.exe,
but it is in a Macintosh-style, document-icons only view mode.

What controls this display mode is the default action defined for files of
type "Folder". The default behavior is named "open", and represents the My
Documents, one-pane view. The behavior you want is named "explore", and will
happen automatically for every future Windows Explorer window when set as the
Default action for files of File Type "Folder".

This setting is found in the Folder Options dialog, accessible either from
Control Panel - Folder Options, or Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder
Options...

On the Folder Options dialog, go to the File Types tab and look for the file
type with the extension (NONE) and the File Type of Folder. In Windows XP,
this is normally the fifth item from the top of the list. In earlier
versions of Windows (all the way back to Windows 95) this entry was much
lower in the list because the (NONE) entries did not sort to the top.
Apparently Microsoft realized that a lot of us want to change this setting.

Anyway, with the (NONE) Folder entry highlighted, click Advanced. In the
Edit File Type dialog Actions: list, you should see two entries: explore and
open. In general, either open will be in bold (the default) or neither
action will be bold, in which case open is what happens.

Click on explore, then on the Set Default button (explore will become bold).
Finally, click OK to close the Edit File Type dialog, and OK to close the
Folder Options control panel.

Now, forever more, whenever you click on My Documents, My Computer, My
Network Places, Windows Explorer, or double-click on a folder in any of these
views, Explorer will open using the two-pane mode with the Folder Tree on the
left and the Documents pane on the right.

As far as the default initial view for Windows Explorer, if you want
something other than My Documents or My Computer, create a shortcut that
points to the EXPLORER.EXE application using specific switches, including /e,
and /select and/or /root as described below:

Syntax
EXPLORER.EXE [/n][/e][,/root,<object>][[,/select],<sub object>]
Switches
/n: Opens a new window in single-paned (My Computer) view for each item
selected, even if the new window duplicates a window that is
already open.

/e: Uses Windows Explorer view. Windows Explorer view is most similar
to File Manager in Windows version 3.x. Note that the default view
is Open view.

/root,<object>: Specifies the root level of the specified view. The
default is to use the normal namespace root (the
desktop). Whatever is specified is the root for the
display.

/select,<sub object>: Specifies the folder to receive the initial
focus. If "/select" is used, the parent folder
is opened and the specified object is selected.

To get a two pane Explorer window with nothing expanded use the following in
your shortcut:

Target: C:\Windows\EXPLORER.EXE /e,/select
Start in: \

"Edhawk" wrote:

> I'm trying to set the defaults for Explorer to always start showing a
> two-pane view so that the LHS is Folders and RHS is a default folder.

Mikeybooks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Power Desk is a great program. Not only will open in two panes for dragging between locations (like file manager), but you can save MANY two-pane configurations which come up on one click. Has customizable toolbar that does tons of useful things. There's a free version. -Mikeybooks