Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-8120 Prime95 test core error

Last response: in CPUs
September 12, 2012 12:09:45 AM

i have an fx 8120 running at 4.1ghz on stock voltage auto voltage in Bios n a few things disable in Bios to avoid throttle problems i run prime95 blend test n about 30 mins of testing one of my cores core 8 downclocks n i get an error in prime95 saying hardware error this happen too running at 4.2 same setting now when i run a prime95 small ftt test i do not get an error n i ran it for about 2 hours can any suggesting of what is causing the problem
January 20, 2013 5:38:05 PM

What are the temps? idle/stress? Do you have a good diag prog that show buried temps?
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2013 6:59:33 PM

What is your hardware configuration. Stock cooler? big no no.

HWmonitor. Get it. Volts and temps.
Related resources
January 21, 2013 11:19:33 PM

ohyouknow said:
What is your hardware configuration. Stock cooler? big no no.

HWmonitor. Get it. Volts and temps.

no i have an noctua nh-d14
January 21, 2013 11:20:53 PM

scottfree1 said:
What are the temps? idle/stress? Do you have a good diag prog that show buried temps?

idle temps are 25c n on load i do not go no higher than 57c
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2013 4:57:13 AM

cpu volts? LLC level?
January 23, 2013 6:48:34 PM

ok now i have it at 4.2ghz with stock volt in bios voltages are in manual multiplier at 20.5 n fsb at 205 n llc at high ran prime for 1:30 mins n no errors i hear i could get better peformance if i overclock via fsb n multiplier here are my specs can anyone help

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+, Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM, WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 2x4, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler for i5, i7, 775 and AMD, COOLMAX ZP-750B APFC/V2.3/EPS12V/V2.92 80+ BRONZE
January 23, 2013 6:57:12 PM

I've found when use multi only I get stable very reliable oc's, tilt in 10 points on fsb and back 1 or 2 clicks on the multi and snit starts going haywire, and not heat blue screen haywire, more firefox/flash will NOT run haywire, which I find weird and I end up just dialing it out cause it's just not worth the hassle..
January 23, 2013 7:00:51 PM

scottfree1 said:
I've found when use multi only I get stable very reliable oc's, tilt in 10 points on fsb and back 1 or 2 clicks on the multi and snit starts going haywire, and not heat blue screen haywire, more firefox/flash will NOT run haywire, which I find weird and I end up just dialing it out cause it's just not worth the hassle..

right now i have it at 4.2ghz i hear i can get that with more fsb n less multiplier n get better performance but i am not that great overclocking this was my first overclock n i did it looking at info on here n googles n i am on aircool
January 23, 2013 7:13:31 PM

Just be aware fsb pumps everything adding speed but also making every other part a possible trip wire to end your oc, you need to lower mem/ht freqs if your going to really pump the bus. In my opinion fsb is no longer the current OC standard, use the multiplier and set mem ht etc. directly..
January 23, 2013 7:16:56 PM

scottfree1 said:
Just be aware fsb pumps everything adding speed but also making every other part a possible trip wire to end your oc, you need to lower mem/ht freqs etc. if your going to really pump the bus. In my opinion fsb is no longer the current OC standard, use the multiplier and set mem ht etc. directly..

this is my setup i would love to run at 4.2ghz or better at 4.3ghz n stable but i am on aircool n i do not know too much about overclocking n changing memory n things like that

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+, Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM, WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 2x4, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler for i5, i7, 775 and AMD, COOLMAX ZP-750B APFC/V2.3/EPS12V/V2.92 80+ BRONZE
January 23, 2013 7:32:15 PM

I use PhenomMsrTweaker the fx update is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2777...

Allows you to dial multi in and out from your desktop, and set your own custom cool/quiet setup. I run mine on balanced + 2 mult @ stock voltage = a stable, reliable, cool oc, but if I go plus one click .5 multi the whole thing goes over a cliff
January 23, 2013 7:39:06 PM

Looks like the fx version is not what I liked about phen version, my fx8120 is in the mail looks like time to find a new tweak tool..

I'm working on a simple successor to PhenomMsrTweaker. It's a console app, therefore no GUI and no Windows service anymore. I dropped custom C&Q since default C&Q is supposed to work quite well for newer CPUs. So it's only designed to tweak the P-states and supports newer CPUs.
January 23, 2013 7:58:31 PM

scottfree1 said:
I use PhenomMsrTweaker the fx update is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2777...

Allows you to dial multi in and out from your desktop, and set your own custom cool/quiet setup. I run mine on balanced + 2 mult @ stock voltage = a stable, reliable, cool oc, but if I go plus one click .5 multi the whole thing goes over a cliff

i do my overclock via bios i could get it to run at 4.2ghz just on multiplier but then i have to mess with the voltage
January 23, 2013 7:59:02 PM

scottfree1 said:
Looks like the fx version is not what I liked about phen version, my fx8120 is in the mail looks like time to find a new tweak tool..

I'm working on a simple successor to PhenomMsrTweaker. It's a console app, therefore no GUI and no Windows service anymore. I dropped custom C&Q since default C&Q is supposed to work quite well for newer CPUs. So it's only designed to tweak the P-states and supports newer CPUs.

i try to download this but i get an error on the page it does not come out
January 23, 2013 9:04:13 PM

Yeah use the older version all the time guess that's done soon, I prefer software overclock, even though bios ones are supposed to be "better" not sure what's all that great about them though. I can set my mutli and literally watch the v/mhz/muliti/temps change instantly from core temp's gadget. If it's a hot day and I want to cool off 2 secs and I can back my clock and v no reboot no worries, each to his own last bit of advise your smoke detector should not be part of your OC tool kit .. have fun stormin the castle..
January 23, 2013 9:50:16 PM

scottfree1 said:
Yeah use the older version all the time guess that's done soon, I prefer software overclock, even though bios ones are supposed to be "better" not sure what's all that great about them though. I can set my mutli and literally watch the v/mhz/muliti/temps change instantly from core temp's gadget. If it's a hot day and I want to cool off 2 secs and I can back my clock and v no reboot no worries, each to his own last bit of advise your smoke detector should not be part of your OC tool kit .. have fun stormin the castle..

where can i get this software since i try the link u gave me n it does not work i get an error on the page?
January 23, 2013 10:22:41 PM

I took them off also cause the 128k or .1 mb tweaker I get the same out, sorry MORE out of than the 50mb bloatware by amd..
January 23, 2013 10:24:01 PM

scottfree1 said:
I took them off also cause the 128k or .1 mb tweaker I get the same out as the 50mb bloatware by amd..

you have the same cpu i have?
January 23, 2013 10:29:19 PM

I just bought the 8120, it's at the airport in transit, it's going to replace my x4 955be, which is 3years old and I flogged it every which way with every oc know to man in those years, may see if I can make explode the day my 8120 shows up..
January 23, 2013 10:30:42 PM

scottfree1 said:
I just bought the 8120, it's at the airport in transit, it's going to replace my x4 955be, which is 3years old and I flogged it every which way with every oc know to man in those years, may see if I can make explode the day my 8120 shows up..

you think i could get my 8120 to 4.3ghz on aircool n what setting can i use if u can help?
January 23, 2013 10:41:25 PM

I just bought a corsair h50 water cooler, as far as 4.3 maayyybe.. mobo, chip, ram, psu any one can trip an extreme oc my current chip will go 500+ then jump off a cliff, have you found your outer limit guaranteed crash point?
January 23, 2013 10:43:46 PM

scottfree1 said:
I just bought a corsair h50 water cooler, as far as 4.3 maayyybe.. mobo, chip, ram, psu any one can trip an extreme oc my current chip will go 500+ then jump off a cliff, have you found your outer limit guaranteed crash point?

no i have not because i am a novice overclocking never overclock before untill now
January 23, 2013 11:10:32 PM

Everyone is scared when they start, the worst damage I've done is a disk error from the the crash, you should run chkdsk /f c: if you blue screen, I've run my 3 year old chip off the cliff maybe 50? 75? I don't know lets say A LOT of times with out hurting it, you kill a chip with chronic heat, they will crash long before they melt.. just watch your temps.. set overload protection with core temp.. and pump it, pump it real good..
January 23, 2013 11:19:40 PM

scottfree1 said:
Everyone is scared when they start, the worst damage I've done is a disk error from the the crash, you should run chkdsk /f c: if you blue screen, I've run my 3 year old chip off the cliff maybe 50? 75? I don't know lets say A LOT of times with out hurting it, you kill a chip with chronic heat, they will crash long before they melt.. just watch your temps.. set overload protection with core temp.. and pump it, pump it real good..

right now i have it at 4.2ghz on aircool wiht at noctua nh d14 raise the mulitplier at 20.5 n FSB to 205 n LLC to high voltages in manual n stock voltage in bios the highest temp i see is 58c in hwm n on coretemp i see 45c n ran prime for 1 hours n 30 mins n no errors
January 24, 2013 12:05:00 AM

Looks good, I don't touch voltage until I have to, so I'd try either .5 on the mult or a small fsb bump 208 maybe, I've heard crazy fsb # thrown about like 240/250 I've never booted above 215 and 210 is fsb my limit with any chance of stability.
January 24, 2013 12:14:01 AM

scottfree1 said:
Looks good, I don't touch voltage until I have to, so I'd try either .5 on the mult or a small fsb bump 208 maybe, I've heard crazy fsb # thrown about like 240/250 I've never booted above 215 and 210 is fsb my limit with any chance of stability.

what i have now i found it on a website someones setting lol lol it is working for me so far since i do not know how to set memory setting n voltages n all the other stuff like HTT n u know the rest
January 24, 2013 12:39:56 AM

That's why I prefer just uping the multi no worries about mem/ht/nb/bus freqs/voltages mem timings on and on your head will melt before your cpu and what you get out of the secondary oc is found in a few benchmark points that if you can feel them your more mhz sensitive than I am..
January 24, 2013 12:45:03 AM

yeah i hear u just reading n doing some google research n hear n see some people get better performance doing both multi n fsb these things run hot n i am trying to get the most without using too much voltage
!