vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
My I7 2700k is reaching 74 c under heavy load in guild wars 2. What's the maximum I should let it get to? everyone I have talked to said not to worry unless it goes over 85 but I'm not sure about that lol.

Solution
You will get different answers from different people. The chip throttles over 100C to protect itself so Intel must have thought that anything below that wouldn't kill enough CPU's within the warranty period to cost them too much money.

Beyond that, "cooler is better".

Personally, I would only be ok with 74C if it occurred under absolute max load in a synthetic stress test like Intel burn test. Even then, I would probably be on the lookout for a sale on a higher-end cooling solution.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
You will get different answers from different people. The chip throttles over 100C to protect itself so Intel must have thought that anything below that wouldn't kill enough CPU's within the warranty period to cost them too much money.

Beyond that, "cooler is better".

Personally, I would only be ok with 74C if it occurred under absolute max load in a synthetic stress test like Intel burn test. Even then, I would probably be on the lookout for a sale on a higher-end cooling solution.

Solution

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

looks like it's time to crack open the side panel and point a fan inside until new heatsink gets here -.-