Upgrading from GTS 450 1GB

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
I'm upgrading from an EVGA Geforce GTS 450 1GB that I'm currently OC'ing at 910/1820 and memory 1900

I'd like suggestions on what to do that would keep me under $150

CURRENT SYSTEM: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.20Ghz with 8GB of RAM

GAME SETTINGS I WANT: At least High with AA. Currently my biggest problem is that Mass Effect 3 with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA runs around 27-30 fps with spikes of 17 fps in cutscenes.

RESOLUTION: 1600X900

REFRESH RATE: 60

CURRENT GAMES: Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

So now, my dilemma - how to upgrade?

-- I can get a new GeForce card (been looking at GTX 550 Ti 1GB)

-- I can get a new AMD card (since my CPU is AMD, I understand they work better?)

-- I can get an extra 450 to SLI (You can't SLI two different models, right?) but space is quite limited in my computer so this might not be viable actually.

For the sake of this question, let's ignore the value I could get on the GTS 450 if I sell it.

I'm hoping to do this asap so please reply quickly if you can, since I am not very knowledgeable about graphic cards :)

Solution

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Solution

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749
EVGA GTX 460 1GB is a good card and only for $140.

NO, it won't work better because your CPU is AMD. That's all in your head.

Putting 2 lower end cards in SLI will cause a phenomenon known as microstuttering. That means that even though a higher frame rate is being reported the human eye perceives it as much lower than it actually is... see this - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,review-32256-3.html

"Cards like the GeForce GTX 550 Ti seem to be wasted on a SLI setup for this reason alone, achieving decent frame rates in the charts and nasty micro-stuttering in the real world"

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks everyone, I was a bit concerned about AA given that Mass Effect 3 needs it real bad, but it seems like 6850 is the winner after checking a million websites (since it's the same price as the GTX 460).

The cheapest I can find is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=14qwnvoq8bip8

But the reviews aren't very pleasant, apparently the cards die often and drivers aren't great... Maybe I should stick to Nvidia after all? http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-Eyefinity-DisplayPort-Express/product-reviews/B005D6P0N8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

Hard to say how much you should try and sell it for... I recommend seeing how much other GTS 450s are going for and then based on the condition of yours set a price.

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

Swifty have a look at the article above on micro-stuttering.

don't care about the article. I don't get micro stuttering and don't really know anybody that does. have a feeling it has more to do with the game and the settings and the other hardware in use at the time more than it does with the cards. You can't just throw in 2 cards and expect them to work flawlessly all the time. That's why they make control panels. I also think some of what people experience might have something to do with the operating systems. Microsoft has dropped the ball in some respect in certain areas and you have to remember when an opsys comes out they are not the best they can be. .......... kinda like game developers.... get it out at any cost and worry about it later.

viktorbkk

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
You should upgrade your monitor before you upgrade your GPU. Your current card isn't that bad for the resolution you are playing at.

Also, why do you need to run 2 different types of anti aliasing at the same time? One is enough.

Keep the money in your pocket. When a monitor + GPU upgrade makes sense to you, go ahead and buy both.

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

SLI is a lot less problematic than Crossfire so fair enough :)

Just something to consider, if you want to take all factors into consideration.

You've had no problems with it, that's good. Other people have. That's why forums are here.

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Bought the 6850 from Sapphire. Got it on Amazon where there was no tax, the rebate has no complaints (NewEgg's seems to be pretty bad) and with a free trial of Amazon Prime I'm getting it tomorrow for $4.

Thanks for the help! :)