Solved

Upgrading from GTS 450 1GB

I'm upgrading from an EVGA Geforce GTS 450 1GB that I'm currently OC'ing at 910/1820 and memory 1900

I'd like suggestions on what to do that would keep me under $150

CURRENT SYSTEM: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.20Ghz with 8GB of RAM

GAME SETTINGS I WANT: At least High with AA. Currently my biggest problem is that Mass Effect 3 with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA runs around 27-30 fps with spikes of 17 fps in cutscenes.

RESOLUTION: 1600X900

REFRESH RATE: 60

CURRENT GAMES: Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

So now, my dilemma - how to upgrade?

-- I can get a new GeForce card (been looking at GTX 550 Ti 1GB)

-- I can get a new AMD card (since my CPU is AMD, I understand they work better?)

-- I can get an extra 450 to SLI (You can't SLI two different models, right?) but space is quite limited in my computer so this might not be viable actually.


For the sake of this question, let's ignore the value I could get on the GTS 450 if I sell it.

I'm hoping to do this asap so please reply quickly if you can, since I am not very knowledgeable about graphic cards :)
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading
  1. Best answer
    The best for that price would be the 6870 at the moment and even with the new GPU set to release I don't believe they will be better for the same price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600083829&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206870
    If you can't spend that much over then the 6850 will have to do it for you.
    Here's about how they compare.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  2. HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384 140$ and 130$ after rebates.
    XFX Double D Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150597 150$ after rebates.
    For 10$ more i recommend you this SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 160$ after rebates.
  3. thexyad said:
    I'm upgrading from an EVGA Geforce GTS 450 1GB that I'm currently OC'ing at 910/1820 and memory 1900

    I'd like suggestions on what to do that would keep me under $150

    CURRENT SYSTEM: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.20Ghz with 8GB of RAM

    GAME SETTINGS I WANT: At least High with AA. Currently my biggest problem is that Mass Effect 3 with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA runs around 27-30 fps with spikes of 17 fps in cutscenes.

    RESOLUTION: 1600X900

    REFRESH RATE: 60

    CURRENT GAMES: Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

    So now, my dilemma - how to upgrade?

    -- I can get a new GeForce card (been looking at GTX 550 Ti 1GB)

    -- I can get a new AMD card (since my CPU is AMD, I understand they work better?)

    -- I can get an extra 450 to SLI (You can't SLI two different models, right?) but space is quite limited in my computer so this might not be viable actually.


    For the sake of this question, let's ignore the value I could get on the GTS 450 if I sell it.

    I'm hoping to do this asap so please reply quickly if you can, since I am not very knowledgeable about graphic cards :)


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749
    EVGA GTX 460 1GB is a good card and only for $140.

    NO, it won't work better because your CPU is AMD. That's all in your head.

    Putting 2 lower end cards in SLI will cause a phenomenon known as microstuttering. That means that even though a higher frame rate is being reported the human eye perceives it as much lower than it actually is... see this - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,review-32256-3.html

    "Cards like the GeForce GTX 550 Ti seem to be wasted on a SLI setup for this reason alone, achieving decent frame rates in the charts and nasty micro-stuttering in the real world"
  4. GTX 550 Ti is only a slight upgrade from the GTS 450. Not worth it.
  5. Thanks everyone, I was a bit concerned about AA given that Mass Effect 3 needs it real bad, but it seems like 6850 is the winner after checking a million websites (since it's the same price as the GTX 460).

    The cheapest I can find is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=14qwnvoq8bip8

    But the reviews aren't very pleasant, apparently the cards die often and drivers aren't great... Maybe I should stick to Nvidia after all? http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-Eyefinity-DisplayPort-Express/product-reviews/B005D6P0N8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
  6. thexyad said:
    Thanks everyone, I was a bit concerned about AA given that Mass Effect 3 needs it real bad, but it seems like 6850 is the winner after checking a million websites (since it's the same price as the GTX 460).

    The cheapest I can find is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=14qwnvoq8bip8

    Thanks for the help! :)

    P.S. How much should I try to get for my GTS 450 1GB on craigslist or ebay?


    Hard to say how much you should try and sell it for... I recommend seeing how much other GTS 450s are going for and then based on the condition of yours set a price.
  7. a 450 in sli might be a good upgrade for the rest of your hardware. what motherboard do you have ?

    a 550 is no upgrade most of the time and a waste of money.

    the 460 above is better than the 450 but sli-ing would be a little faster.
  8. swifty_morgan said:
    a 450 in sli might be a good upgrade for the rest of your hardware. what motherboard do you have ?

    a 550 is no upgrade most of the time and a waste of money.

    the 460 above is better than the 450 but sli-ing would be a little faster.


    Swifty have a look at the article above on micro-stuttering.
  9. I dont think GTX 550 is worth enough
  10. So it's between the GTX 460 and the HD 6850 but it looks like people prefer Nvidia drivers and EVGA over Radeon and HIS or XFX
  11. don't care about the article. I don't get micro stuttering and don't really know anybody that does. have a feeling it has more to do with the game and the settings and the other hardware in use at the time more than it does with the cards. You can't just throw in 2 cards and expect them to work flawlessly all the time. That's why they make control panels. I also think some of what people experience might have something to do with the operating systems. Microsoft has dropped the ball in some respect in certain areas and you have to remember when an opsys comes out they are not the best they can be. .......... kinda like game developers.... get it out at any cost and worry about it later.
  12. You should upgrade your monitor before you upgrade your GPU. Your current card isn't that bad for the resolution you are playing at.

    Also, why do you need to run 2 different types of anti aliasing at the same time? One is enough.

    Keep the money in your pocket. When a monitor + GPU upgrade makes sense to you, go ahead and buy both.
  13. swifty_morgan said:
    don't care about the article. I don't get micro stuttering and don't really know anybody that does. have a feeling it has more to do with the game and the settings and the other hardware in use at the time more than it does with the cards. You can't just throw in 2 cards and expect them to work flawlessly all the time. That's why they make control panels. I also think some of what people experience might have something to do with the operating systems. Microsoft has dropped the ball in some respect in certain areas and you have to remember when an opsys comes out they are not the best they can be. .......... kinda like game developers.... get it out at any cost and worry about it later.


    SLI is a lot less problematic than Crossfire so fair enough :)

    Just something to consider, if you want to take all factors into consideration.

    You've had no problems with it, that's good. Other people have. That's why forums are here.
  14. Best answer selected by thexyad.
  15. Bought the 6850 from Sapphire. Got it on Amazon where there was no tax, the rebate has no complaints (NewEgg's seems to be pretty bad) and with a free trial of Amazon Prime I'm getting it tomorrow for $4.

    Thanks for the help! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product