DISPLAY SETTINGS

I have Windows XP Professional and in my Display Properties or Settings I am
unable to change my screensaver or background because the "Tabs" are not
listed. When I click on Display Properties, I only have the "General" tab.
How do I get all the options or tabs to change the background and screensaver
etc. on my computer??
18 answers Last reply
More about display settings

    Hi

    Have you installed the latest XP compliant drivers for your video card?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Professional and in my Display Properties or Settings I
    >am
    > unable to change my screensaver or background because the "Tabs" are not
    > listed. When I click on Display Properties, I only have the "General" tab.
    > How do I get all the options or tabs to change the background and
    > screensaver
    > etc. on my computer??

    No, not that I know of. I have installed those automatic updates but I
    suppose that is not the same thing?? How do I install the latest XP compliant
    drivers for my video card?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have you installed the latest XP compliant drivers for your video card?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have Windows XP Professional and in my Display Properties or Settings I
    > >am
    > > unable to change my screensaver or background because the "Tabs" are not
    > > listed. When I click on Display Properties, I only have the "General" tab.
    > > How do I get all the options or tabs to change the background and
    > > screensaver
    > > etc. on my computer??

    Hi

    It's best if you use the video card web site for updating the drivers. Not
    Windows Update. Which video card have you got installed?

    --

    > No, not that I know of. I have installed those automatic updates but I
    > suppose that is not the same thing?? How do I install the latest XP
    > compliant
    > drivers for my video card?
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Have you installed the latest XP compliant drivers for your video card?
    >> >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have Windows XP Professional and in my Display Properties or Settings
    >> >am
    >> > unable to change my screensaver or background because the "Tabs" are
    >> > not
    >> > listed. When I click on Display Properties, I only have the "General"
    >> > tab.
    >> > How do I get all the options or tabs to change the background and
    >> > screensaver
    >> > etc. on my computer??

    I have no idea which video card I have installed or if I even have one. How
    would I find out?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > It's best if you use the video card web site for updating the drivers. Not
    > Windows Update. Which video card have you got installed?
    >

    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No, not that I know of. I have installed those automatic updates but I
    > > suppose that is not the same thing?? How do I install the latest XP
    > > compliant
    > > drivers for my video card?
    > >

    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Have you installed the latest XP compliant drivers for your video card?
    > >> >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    Type the following from Start>Run and then expand Components>Display:

    msinfo32

    --

    >I have no idea which video card I have installed or if I even have one. How
    > would I find out?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> It's best if you use the video card web site for updating the drivers.
    >> Not
    >> Windows Update. Which video card have you got installed?
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > No, not that I know of. I have installed those automatic updates but I
    >> > suppose that is not the same thing?? How do I install the latest XP
    >> > compliant
    >> > drivers for my video card?

    In article <O9BYn#38EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, willdenny@mvps.org,
    a.k.a Will Denny says...

    > Type the following from Start>Run and then expand Components>Display:
    >
    > msinfo32

    Standard VGA Graphics adapter, or words to that effect I suspect.

    If he doesn't have the drivers, and the system doesn't recognise the
    card, it's unlikely to report it correctly.

    He needs a 3rd party utility probably. SiSoft Sandra maybe?

    "Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <O9BYn#38EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, willdenny@mvps.org,
    > a.k.a Will Denny says...
    >

    >> Type the following from Start>Run and then expand Components>Display:
    >>
    >> msinfo32
    >
    > Standard VGA Graphics adapter, or words to that effect I suspect.
    >
    > If he doesn't have the drivers, and the system doesn't recognise the
    > card, it's unlikely to report it correctly.
    >
    > He needs a 3rd party utility probably. SiSoft Sandra maybe?

    Hi

    No not SiSoft. Everest is a lot better:

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    In article <OgYvWP48EHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, willdenny@mvps.org,
    a.k.a Will Denny says...
    > "Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <O9BYn#38EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, willdenny@mvps.org,
    > > a.k.a Will Denny says...
    > >

    > >> Type the following from Start>Run and then expand Components>Display:
    > >>
    > >> msinfo32
    > >
    > > Standard VGA Graphics adapter, or words to that effect I suspect.
    > >
    > > If he doesn't have the drivers, and the system doesn't recognise the
    > > card, it's unlikely to report it correctly.
    > >
    > > He needs a 3rd party utility probably. SiSoft Sandra maybe?
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > No not SiSoft. Everest is a lot better:
    >
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

    Yes, that'll do it ... or maybe http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

    Run the edit on line 285 (right hand side)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Jnava" <Jnava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Professional and in my Display Properties or Settings I
    >am
    > unable to change my screensaver or background because the "Tabs" are not
    > listed. When I click on Display Properties, I only have the "General" tab.
    > How do I get all the options or tabs to change the background and
    > screensaver
    > etc. on my computer??
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <#kh9dMI9EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kelly@mvps.org,
    a.k.a Kelly says...

    > Run the edit on line 285 (right hand side)

    gah! I wish you'd change the colour scheme!
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Not today!

    --

    > In article <#kh9dMI9EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kelly@mvps.org,
    > a.k.a Kelly says...
    >
    >> Run the edit on line 285 (right hand side)
    >
    > gah! I wish you'd change the colour scheme!
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote:
    | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    |
    | gah! I wish you'd change the colour scheme!

    Internet Explorer
    Internet Options
    General
    Accessibility
    [Y] Ignore colors specified on Web pages
    [Y] Format documents using my style sheet
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <uJ2MmjQ9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com, a.k.a a nonymous says...

    > "Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > |
    > | gah! I wish you'd change the colour scheme!
    >
    > Internet Explorer
    > Internet Options
    > General
    > Accessibility
    > [Y] Ignore colors specified on Web pages
    > [Y] Format documents using my style sheet

    Firstly, you assume I use IE .. i tend not to, i prefer Firefox
    Secondly, I don't want to override every site i visit with my own prefs.

    Just those who insist on using white text on a black background.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <eJZbLgU9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, kelly@mvps.org,
    a.k.a Kelly says...

    > Not today!

    No problem, but it makes my eyes go funny after looking at it, and then
    going back to something like the colours my newsreader uses. I still see
    your site, the same as when you look at a bright light, and get that
    'flash' in front of your eyes for a while after.

    The general consensus amongst designers is that white on black is not
    good. Try a creamy colour if you must have a darker background, and use
    a font like arial or tahoma. I'd also lose those solid horizontal lines
    in favour of thin dotted maybe.

    Other than that, thank you for a very useful site, and I'm sorry to be
    criticising it, but it is uncomfortable to use.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > In article <eJZbLgU9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, kelly@mvps.org,
    > a.k.a Kelly says...
    >
    >> Not today!
    >
    > No problem, but it makes my eyes go funny after looking at it, and then
    > going back to something like the colours my newsreader uses. I still see
    > your site, the same as when you look at a bright light, and get that
    > 'flash' in front of your eyes for a while after.
    >
    > The general consensus amongst designers is that white on black is not
    > good.

    Actually, and FWIW, with *my* reduced vision, I find it better...

    What I can't read, _even with a 3x magnifying glass*, are the fifteen
    headings near the top.

    The trouble is, people _will_ make their site pretty, but it's all too often
    at the expense of functionality.
    (That's a generalisation, I'm not getting at kelly).

    Try a creamy colour if you must have a darker background, and use
    > a font like arial or tahoma. I'd also lose those solid horizontal lines
    > in favour of thin dotted maybe.
    >
    > Other than that, thank you for a very useful site, and I'm sorry to b
    > criticising it, but it is uncomfortable to use.

    No question as to the site's usefulness!
    It's usually my first port in a storm...

    --
    | zulu |
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <xrTDd.152$fH1.82@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
    nothere@ntlworld.com, a.k.a zulu says...

    > Actually, and FWIW, with *my* reduced vision, I find it better...

    It's a difficult call for any designer to accommodate each and every one
    of us of course, but, if you have a vision issue, then could you not
    utilise Windows High Contrast settings?

    > What I can't read, _even with a 3x magnifying glass*, are the fifteen
    > headings near the top.

    Which versions of Windows are you using? There are utilities available
    that might help you with this, or an alternative browser to Internet
    Explorer such as Firefox actually allows almost infinite resizing of
    text, given certain criteria.

    However, the use of dark text on what is essentially a predominantly
    dark background for those buttons doesn't help.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > In article <xrTDd.152$fH1.82@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
    > nothere@ntlworld.com, a.k.a zulu says...
    >

    >> Actually, and FWIW, with *my* reduced vision, I find it better...
    >
    > It's a difficult call for any designer to accommodate each and every one
    > of us of course, but, if you have a vision issue, then could you not
    > utilise Windows High Contrast settings?

    Not as a permanent feature., thank you!

    >> What I can't read, _even with a 3x magnifying glass*, are the fifteen
    >> headings near the top.
    >
    > Which versions of Windows are you using?

    XP Pro

    There are utilities available
    > that might help you with this, or an alternative browser to Internet
    > Explorer such as Firefox actually allows almost infinite resizing of
    > text, given certain criteria.

    I gave up with Firefox as it's installation caused problems with other
    software.

    > However, the use of dark text on what is essentially a predominantly
    > dark background for those buttons doesn't help.

    That of course, IS crux of the problem.

    --
    | zulu |
    Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

    I just made a post to show how to zoom IE like netscape.

    Kelly's is also easile fixed I think (I've looked at her code before and it's made by MS tools and ms tools can't make good pages). But if I coded it it would be so easy. Do you want me to look in to it? It will work similar to zoom as long as I don't have to change her thousands of repetive and pointless formatting statements (made by MS software).

    PS If she redoes her page it will load in 10% of the time it takes now. And editing becomes easy.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:3tUDd.92$QG3.2@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

    > "Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <xrTDd.152$fH1.82@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
    >> nothere@ntlworld.com, a.k.a zulu says...
    >>

    >>> Actually, and FWIW, with *my* reduced vision, I find it better...
    >>
    >> It's a difficult call for any designer to accommodate each and every one
    >> of us of course, but, if you have a vision issue, then could you not
    >> utilise Windows High Contrast settings?
    >
    > Not as a permanent feature., thank you!
    >

    >>> What I can't read, _even with a 3x magnifying glass*, are the fifteen
    >>> headings near the top.
    >>
    >> Which versions of Windows are you using?
    >
    > XP Pro
    >
    > There are utilities available
    >> that might help you with this, or an alternative browser to Internet
    >> Explorer such as Firefox actually allows almost infinite resizing of
    >> text, given certain criteria.
    >
    > I gave up with Firefox as it's installation caused problems with other
    > software.
    >>
    >> However, the use of dark text on what is essentially a predominantly
    >> dark background for those buttons doesn't help.
    >
    > That of course, IS crux of the problem.
    >
    > --
    > | zulu |
    > Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
    > 150DPI

Configuration Screensaver Customization Windows XP Displays