Sparkle 8800gts Vertical Lines and No Vga BIOS screen

micromega

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hello,

I've found a sparkle 8800gts 320 mb from a friend. And there's a problem:
1. When switch on the computer, it's not show graphic card info. My 9800gt card shows its BIOS info at first screen. But 8800gts doesn't.
2. The graphic drivers can't installing to system, if installed windows xp doesn't boot up..
3. I have lines at screen like these:
http://www.incicaps.com/r/untitle58045.jpg/
4. I've tried to flash vga BIOS but, nvflash says can't found any nvidia adaapters.

Well is there any solution for these problems.

Thanks

bucknutty

Distinguished
The 8800s are famous for that issue. The problem is they used solder that is too brittle for the temps those cards hit. Over the years the heating and cooling causes tiny solder points to break. You can fix it in your oven by baking it at 390 for 10 minutes. It sound crazy but it really works. It’s called reflowing the solder. At around 380 or so the solder melts just enough to stick back together on its own repairing the issue.
Depending on how bad the original failures are this repair can last weeks or years. But hey what do you have to lose? Bake it or throw it away.
I personally have baked an evga 8800gts 640 a bfg 8800gt 512 and an asus 8800gtx 640. They were all baked over a year ago and all 3 still work to this day.

Word of warning, if it is a really cheap card with plastic capacitors they will melt in the oven, if it is an average to high quality card the caps will be metal and it will be fine.

Check out this vid i made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofk822WgRY&feature=player_embedded

micromega

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Dude it looks like works.. And he gave an idea, i'm working in a electronic card production factory, and i'm going to put that card to the soldering oven. 15 min at 180 c degrees is enough for it, 390 c/10 min may damage the pcb. Thank you so much bro.

bucknutty

Distinguished
All i can tell you is that there are 100s of videos and instructions on you tube and the web. It worked for me on 3 different cards the asus 8800gtx was for a budy of mine, he was all mad that he paid 500 bucks for a video card that only lasted 2.5 years. I baked it and he has been using it for 1.5 years now. It just turned 4 and he uses it every day for games.

You can see in my video that its my kitchen and a regular old oven. The cards come out of the oven exactly as they went in. All the plastic connectors and labels look the same. I expected the labels with the bios info and stuff to melt and curl up, but they dont even turn brown. My wife said she could smell the card cooking but i couldent, so i think it was all in her head. Any way try what do you have to lose.

I did have an 7600gt that had the same symptoms, so i baked that card. The capcitors are the plastic wrapped ones, they all began leaking goo and smelling up the house, my wife got pissed.