Is This Power Supply Enough For My Rig?

Astralman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
I need to know if this Rosewill Capstone 450W Power Supply is enough for this rig. I will not by OCing my rig so you won't have to be worrying about that. A straight forward answer for a straight forward question. The reason as well for getting this Power Supply is the combo with the case, that and I have done enough research to see that this PSU is seemingly a decent brand.

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Midtower
MotherBoard: ASUS P8B75-V
CPU: i5-2400
GPU:HIS IceQ X H785QN2G2M Radeon HD 7850
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-90G
Storage: 500gb Raptor 10000RPM (To be Determined)

$750

It would probably work, but I would get a different case/psu combo. Rosewill makes things that are average at best.

For that matter all the parts are average at best. His, Team, and OCZ too.

I suppose if you really want to stretch for the SSD it may be a necessary evil to take the case/psu combo, though. Just be aware that almost all the PSUs that come with cases are really really bad ones and be prepared to have to replace it and possibly something else if/when it does fail.

If you do get the above combo, I would start saving for a new PSU as your next purchase and try to complete saving up and buy it before it crashes hard on you.

Astralman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
Eh, I've heard way to many opinions on both sides of the spectrum at this point in time on all these items. I've gotten to the point where every item I buy I just look up reviews and read comments on the items to get a general idea. I know a lot of people have their personal preferences and have to abide by those laws. Even you have items in your build that I know people would say the exact same thing to as well.

I have heard a lot of good things out of this brand specifically for PSU and good things about this HIS card specifically as well. The Team I'm unsure of and might change and the SSD is just because I'm being cheap. I hear meh things on them but its my first build, so sue me. lol

Though your not giving me much confidence in your probably work. Seeing as your being instantly bias becuase of your dislike for Rosewill products.

I just want to correct the 80+ misconception many users have.

80+ just saves power it does not allow a power supply to push more power. Think if it this way. a 60% efficient 400 watt power supply will push 400 watts(DC). It will just make tons of heat as well. For some reason people assume 80+ means more power. It just means less power wasted and lower electrical bills.

@ OP

This thing is GOLD certified making it VERY efficient.

Anandtech gave it a Silver rating. That is good enough in my book.

It has all the power you need for your system even with some overclocking if you want to.

I am the one that troubleshoots all the broken stuff. That, however, is rarely ever me personally.

If you spend as long in the IT field and in the forums as I have, you would see that I am right.

XFX is arguably the absolute best PSU brand. Crucial is arguably the best RAM brand. Lian Li is a high end case brand. The Asus CD drive is the best in its class bar none.

Samsung is arguably more high end than Seagate in hard drives, but considering Seagate bought out Samsung and now makes all Samsung products, there isn't really a whole lot of distinction to be made there anymore. Now Seagate is tied for the best with Western Digital.

PowerColor - It isn't EVGA, which most people generally say is the best, but EVGA also doesn't make ATI video cards and especially not the niche cards like PowerColor makes. I happen to have had a very niche requirement when I got my SCS3 and there was no similar alternative on the market and AFAIK there still isn't. So that basically makes this maker the best in class for my niche.

Asrock has a much shorter track record as a stand alone company than Asus/Gigabte does, but it is no worse in the time it has been in existence.

I didn't make a sacrifice in even one choice, and I wouldn't suggest you do so either.

The last thing you want is to come back in here saying "My stuff doesn't work, what is wrong with it?" when you could instead be gaming.

SuperFlower makes this particular type of PSU and generally speaking they aren't a bad PSU maker, however, it is important to note that they almost never use MOVs (does kinda the same thing as a surge suppressor) so I wouldn't use this PSU unless the PC is going to be plugged into an external surge suppressor.

It isn't a bad idea to double up anyway even if you have a MOV (most of the good ones do have it), but without both an MOV and a surge suppressor is just asking for trouble.

FSP skipped it on lots of power supplies as well. Power Bar(Belkin) then UPS(APC) problem solved :)

In my area, even without any of this, I have never had real power problems with spikes or anything. Lucky I guess.

FSP just made whatever people asked them to make regardless of how good it was, so quite a lot of horrible PSUs came out of their factories. If anything mentioning FSP just supports my argument. They aren't like Seasonic which tells other companies to get bent if their PSU design sucks and they flat out won't make it.

As for not having power problems, its good that you haven't had any. I have a good PSU with everything that's supposed to be in there and my PC is plugged into a surge suppressor and it used to be plugged into a UPS too.

Formerly I had 2 PCs in the UPS, but now they are in different rooms so my PC is now not in an UPS and I am actually quite sad about that. Not sad enough to shell out another $100 right now, but still pretty sad.

The power subsystem of the PC is not something to mess around with. Physical damage to hardware pretty much only comes from failings of this subsystem, so its good to play it safe when possible. Unless I guess if you happen to be the sort that likes to replace broken hardware because it gives you a good reason to get something better.

I have known people that joked around about having multiple of their motherboards/video cards/etc blow up on them and I will just say I am not the sort to want that to be my experience with PCs nor would I joke about it if it were.

Technically they just used other power supplies they made for them selves(so not a new design), just like Seasonic does.

On that topic. If the MOV in a power supply fails, you will never know any way, its not an inline device.

Do you know how many users are running power bars that have dead MOVs in them? How often do you think people look for the protected LED on the bar? Some don't even have it.

Its a nice device, but does not last forever and not in areas with lots of spikes.

I like knowing that my power bar will latch off the day the MOV fails(they even claim to send a new one at that time upon request :)) no having to constantly check the led.

Due to the way power supplies work, they should shut off before EVER letting bad power get to the PC. This is not a $10 800 watt power supply you picked up on e-bay :) Those fail and kill systems because they have NO protection/monitoring at all and are relabeled 250 watt units.

This is just more informative then anything. Not saying who is right or wrong. A MOV is better then none.

Astralman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
I will most definitely be using a surge protector for my system seeing as I will be having plenty of other stuff in the room with it as well. If that is really the only grip other than a personal opinion of a brand I think I got the answer I was look for.

Thank you Delluser and NukeMaster. Raiddinn if it does fail on me however you get the gold in the long run lol.