Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I've been wondering this for a while and can't seem to find anything on it. My question is... Let's say you have a modular PSU cable and you are for some reason removing the pins from both sides of the modular cable (such as to sleeve, replace header, etc). For instance lets use a CPU 8-pin cable. As long as the orientation of black and yellow are in the same spots (such as black on top and yellow on bottom), does it matter if on one of the headers a yellow is in slot 2 but in another header it's in slot 3?

Sorry for the confusing question!

Solution
I am not 100% sure about what you are asking here, but it does indeed matter which color cable is in which slot. If you were to put the 8 pin PSU cable in upside down it wouldn't work, for instance. At best it wouldn't turn on and at worst it would actually damage hardware.

If you had a whole slew of, say, black wires and you use tweezers and remove them from the connector and then re-insert them in some different order than they were originally in, that shouldn't matter. As long as each color is in the right place it should work.

That being said, I wouldn't go around re-arranging these wires for the fun of it. The PSU could theoretically be wired in such a way that it does matter and that could turn out to be a bad thing. This...
I am not 100% sure about what you are asking here, but it does indeed matter which color cable is in which slot. If you were to put the 8 pin PSU cable in upside down it wouldn't work, for instance. At best it wouldn't turn on and at worst it would actually damage hardware.

If you had a whole slew of, say, black wires and you use tweezers and remove them from the connector and then re-insert them in some different order than they were originally in, that shouldn't matter. As long as each color is in the right place it should work.

That being said, I wouldn't go around re-arranging these wires for the fun of it. The PSU could theoretically be wired in such a way that it does matter and that could turn out to be a bad thing. This sort of problem should be a really remote possibility, though.

Solution