Sign in with
Your question

PSU Problem?

Last response: in Components
September 12, 2012 5:36:39 AM

Hello,
Recently I exchanged a faulty Radeon HD 7950 to Amazon. I now have my replacement HD 7950, but now my rig won't power on with the new one. With the old one my rig would power on and work fine until the card started acting funny. Now with the new one the system will turn on for a split second then turn off. Does this sound like a faulty psu to you guys? I don't think a faulty gpu would cause ths cuz then wouldnt my rig still turn on atleast?

My complete rig is as follows:
Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 GPU
128 GB AData SSD
AData Gaming Series RAM (2x4GB)
Corsair CX600 PSU

Thanks.

More about : psu problem

a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 3:51:44 PM

What happens when you turn it on with no video card?

Did Amazon say that the card you sent them was tested and was indeed bad? A huge portion of RMAs get returned as "not broken".

I would, however, seriously consider testing with a different PSU if possible, as you mentioned. If you could borrow one from someone else that would be great.
m
l
September 12, 2012 10:49:34 PM

Sorry. I should've mentioned that in the original post. Without the card it turns on and gives me beeps which I think just mean no video card.

I should've mentioned this as well but whether the card is actually plugged into the pci power connectors or not it still surges. So even if the card is just in the slot without the power connected to it, it surges on then off. Which with the old card, it would power on and this was just a few hours before I was able to try the replacement card.

No, they have not told me if they card I sent them was bad or not because I was able to send it off to them finally yesterday. They sent me the replacement before they had the faulty one.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 1:32:48 PM

Advance RMAing is nice because sometimes it gets you going quicker, but also bad because usually you don't know if your old one was good or not, so it makes troubleshooting more difficult.

If, without the video card in, it turns on and beeps, then that would point us kinda in the direction of bad PSU or bad motherboard.

The next steps would be to try with whatever video card you can get your hands on. There are some under $20 in stores or on ebay if you can't borrow one from somewhere.

That would allow us to test if the PSU can put out a lot of power, just not as much as the 7950 needs.

Or, you could try to find someone that would let you shove your PSU and video card in their PC. That would allow us to test if its a motherboard problem.

You could also try to borrow a PSU from somewhere and shove it in your PC, that would also help to determine if the PSU was the problem.
m
l
September 13, 2012 8:16:48 PM

Ok, thanks. I will try what I can and see what happens.
m
l
September 15, 2012 1:18:27 AM

A different PSU did not work.

Is it really possibly my motherboard because if it was wouldn't my computer atleast boot up and just not give me any picture? Or is it possible that with it being in the slot and whether or not the power cables are actually plugged in, that it just surges on then off?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 15, 2012 2:29:01 AM

A lot of things can make the computer turn on and then right back off.

It could be that the RAM is not pushed in far enough, for instance.

A faulty motherboard is also within the realm of possibility for such a problem.

There is also a remote chance that taking the battery out for 30 min and then putting it back in would fix it. While you are at it, you might as well try this since it costs $0.

What was the PSU you tried in place of the CX600?

Is there any way you could do one or both of the other two tests I mentioned last time?
m
l
September 15, 2012 2:45:02 AM

In my case, it can't be the RAM causing it to turn on then off because without the card in, the computer will turn on.

I will try taking out the battery and waiting 30 minutes.

The PSU I tried in place was an OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro.

I do not know of anyone whose computer I could put my gpu in to test it out nor do I have another gpu to test out the mb with, but I am going to try and find a cheap one to get and test with.

Thanks.
m
l
!