Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics card help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2012 1:44:44 PM

Hello
I need some help figuring out what new Graphics card would fit my current system and enhance
the performance in games such as SWTOR, wow, Lotro and eve. Dont want to spend to much on uppgrading
the rest of my computer but willing to make exeptions in some areas if there is no other way around.
Any advise and recommendations would be grately appreciated. :) 
Here are my current setup

GFX card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS
Mainboard: ASUS M2N68-AM Pluss
Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.1GHz AM3 2MB 65W Box
Ram: 3gb DDR2
PSU: Corsair HX520W

More about : graphics card

March 21, 2012 3:58:17 PM

Can also add that i have a budget of about 350$ and
is Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX or XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB GDDR5 "Dual Fan" a viable option?
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 21, 2012 4:25:12 PM

You have a very weak CPU that will severely bottleneck those cards. You're in a difficult spot. I think your best course of action would be to replace your CPU, mobo, and RAM, but that's most of your budget right there. The problem is that although you can upgrade your CPU, AMD is thoroughly drubbed by Intel for performance, AND, your older mobo only supports 2000MT/s so you won't get the best even out of an AMD CPU. Still, if $350 is your max comfortable budget, go ahead and upgrade your CPU to an Athlon II X3 460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $85. That will still leave over $250 in your budget, which will buy a GTX560Ti or HD6950. When you do have the opportunity to rebuild, you can move that GPU into your new system. Your Corsair PSU should be enough for either of these cards.
Related resources
March 21, 2012 10:27:03 PM

Tnx for the quick reply. :D  Seems i have to do a bigger upgrade after all.;) So if im reading this right there is no point in running either of those cards with my current CPU? my games will run just as bad as with my old system witch is just barely running SWTOR? its just that i have been looking around and seems hard to get a hold of AM3 socket CPU's (living in norway). they probably to old to keep on the marked or something. This was only one i could find on the internett stores:p  AMD Phenom II X6 1055T is this a ok cpu? have asked if they could order me one Athlon X3 and waiting on theyre reply;) Anyway tnx again! now i know alot more than i did yesterday ;) 
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 22, 2012 12:16:21 AM

Oh, they'll run better, and you wouldn't be wasting your money on a GPU because you could move it into a new build later, but you wouldn't get the frame rates that others are reporting with those cards.
Another option would be to spend only around $90-$100 on a HD6670, or $70-$80 on a HD6570. Save the rest of your money toward a new build. While considered weak for modern games, either of those cards is a lot more powerful than what you have, and you'd definitely see improvement (probably medium settings, especially with the HD6670).
!