Sign in with
Your question

Removing chrome cleanly after avast 7 updates and upgrades

Last response: in Forum Feedback
July 6, 2012 4:28:57 AM

Hello,
Father-in-law called today. His computer is caught up in the emerging Avast 7 and Google Chrome and Community upgrade problem. Trouble is he is legally deaf and blind, uses adaptive software, Jaws for reading. and several other adaptive programs. Has worked with Internet Explorer for years. Is there a path we can follow to remove both programs cleanly and restore his computer to its previous state intact? He has been using this computer about 5 years. It worked well for him until the upgrade, which should have been no more than an update - making no other changes to his system. We will begin contacting the local adaptive community for help tomorrow. Can provide the details of his hardware and software if wanted, here. Have bookmarked this web site on my Linux Mint 10 hard drive, one of 6 Linux drives and 1 WinXP sp3 drive. My Browsers are all Firefox versions 10.0 = 13.0, across the 7 drives. Yes, were it one of my drives, worst case scenario would be to Darik's Boot and Nukem clean it, run mfr's drive prep software, format the drive and clean install Suse 11.4. Father-in-law can't do that, he must have a rock solid, dependable HDD installed in his computer. No manufacturer may arbitrarily make changes without his permission beforehand. He has been computing since MS-DOS. Yes, i do get around manufacturers by having one good computer, 1 Lian-Li RH-32 Rack and 7 Lian-li RH-32 trays at all times; each drive overlaps the others substantially - say 70%.USB drives pickup most of the slack. Some drives are mounted in USB External drive cases if i want big space for storage and backup.
In Sum: Hoping to find somone/s who have already solved this problem neatly. The sub-forum choices don't seem to fit what he needs.
Thanks, dc
St. Paul, Minnesota
July 6, 2012 5:52:18 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Before I look more deeply into this, may I ask why you think a simple uninstall wouldn't be sufficient? Avast can be replaced - personally I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials on grounds that they whop are attacked first get to know where th threat is from and wlil fix their utility before letting others into the secret.

Google Chrome isn't a necessity - merely another browser and potentially a trap for Google's data gathering.

What have you tried so far?

July 7, 2012 5:48:50 AM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Before I look more deeply into this, may I ask why you think a simple uninstall wouldn't be sufficient? Avast can be replaced - personally I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials on grounds that they whop are attacked first get to know where th threat is from and wlil fix their utility before letting others into the secret.

Google Chrome isn't a necessity - merely another browser and potentially a trap for Google's data gathering.

What have you tried so far?

Security Essentials, while free, can't find or remove anything, so what's the point. I remove viruses daily, Avast is the only software that I have found that can actually block bad websites. Security essentials just opens the door.
July 7, 2012 9:02:15 AM

dacohenz said:
Security Essentials, while free, can't find or remove anything, so what's the point. I remove viruses daily, Avast is the only software that I have found that can actually block bad websites. Security essentials just opens the door.

In my experience, having installed MSE in about a hundred systems since deciding it was well worth its salt, it cleans things up quite nicely. It frequently pops up a message in the notification area that it's cleaning something but if you aren't watching at that moment, you may think it doesn't do anything. If you regularly go to "bad websites" you probably need Spybot to prevent you from getting into trouble.

!