Solved

Trim On Windows 7 Ultimate

i built my PC in 2008 it runs fin i have a core 2 quad so it is a good gaming PC but i recently got a new 2.5 TB hdd and was wondering is trim will work on a hdd i got the drive for 50 bucks at office depot about a moth ago and have bin looking into trim and wonder will trim work on a hdd has anyone try ed it and once i know is there a way to enable it on my system without re installing the OS i have some programs that were a one time install and wont let me install again i have tried contacting the makers but the say that i cant get another copy without buying it
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about trim windows ultimate
  1. I am not sure exactly what it is you think trim does.

TRIM is a feature used to clear unused pages in ram blocks on a SSD, and so will not work on a HDD.
  2. i thought that trim will it deletes something it can simulations write new content to that same spot similar to the insert button
  3. Are you asking for an utility that can wipe a HDD for data or one that can make an image so you can move the data from one HDD to another (like for instance Acronis True Image)?
  4. lothdk said:
    Are you asking for an utility that can wipe a HDD for data or one that can make an image so you can move the data from one HDD to another (like for instance Acronis True Image)?

no i though that trim was like the insert button as explained in this ncix tech tip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnBk2IGYerU

so i wondered if it would work on a hdd
  5. Best answer
    jkipod said:
    no i though that trim was like the insert button as explained in this ncix tech tip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnBk2IGYerU

so i wondered if it would work on a hdd

TRIM is a "housekeeping" feature for SSDs

HDD data is not internally organized into pages/blocks so the feature is 100% useless when used in conjunction with a normal HDD.
  6. Best answer selected by Jkipod.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Windows 7 Hard Drives Systems