Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trim On Windows 7 Ultimate

Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2012 5:01:08 AM

i built my PC in 2008 it runs fin i have a core 2 quad so it is a good gaming PC but i recently got a new 2.5 TB hdd and was wondering is trim will work on a hdd i got the drive for 50 bucks at office depot about a moth ago and have bin looking into trim and wonder will trim work on a hdd has anyone try ed it and once i know is there a way to enable it on my system without re installing the OS i have some programs that were a one time install and wont let me install again i have tried contacting the makers but the say that i cant get another copy without buying it

More about : trim windows ultimate

May 22, 2012 5:26:21 AM

I am not sure exactly what it is you think trim does.

TRIM is a feature used to clear unused pages in ram blocks on a SSD, and so will not work on a HDD.

May 22, 2012 6:09:14 AM

i thought that trim will it deletes something it can simulations write new content to that same spot similar to the insert button
Related resources
May 22, 2012 2:42:57 PM

Are you asking for an utility that can wipe a HDD for data or one that can make an image so you can move the data from one HDD to another (like for instance Acronis True Image)?
May 22, 2012 5:19:35 PM

lothdk said:
Are you asking for an utility that can wipe a HDD for data or one that can make an image so you can move the data from one HDD to another (like for instance Acronis True Image)?

no i though that trim was like the insert button as explained in this ncix tech tip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnBk2IGYerU

so i wondered if it would work on a hdd

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2012 5:52:25 PM

jkipod said:
no i though that trim was like the insert button as explained in this ncix tech tip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnBk2IGYerU

so i wondered if it would work on a hdd

TRIM is a "housekeeping" feature for SSDs

HDD data is not internally organized into pages/blocks so the feature is 100% useless when used in conjunction with a normal HDD.
May 22, 2012 6:22:02 PM

Best answer selected by Jkipod.
!