3rd Monitor Support with a 580gtx

Title should explain most. I'm not looking to SLI. I'm simply looking for a second GPU to support a third monitor, the monitor is not going to be used for any stressful processes.

What i need.
Recommendations for cards I could get for third monitor support (I'm not looking for anything fancy).
Some specs.

Asus x58 Sabertooth MOBO
750 W PSU

EDIT -- Also I dont even know whats the best piece of hardware for third monitor support. All i need is for it to be working.
8 answers Last reply
More about monitor support 580gtx
  1. Are you wanting to game on 3 monitors or just use them for your desktop? Because if you're not looking to game, then an inexpensive Radeon card is probably your best bet - I'm pretty sure that all levels of the 7xxx series cards can drive 3 monitors.
  2. Im not looking to game, its simply for extended desktop.

Also im currently using a 580gtx. So I dont think from my knowledge a ATI card would be compatiable..
  3. You are correct, but if you don't need to play any games then you can sell your GTX 580 for ~$300, pick up a 7770 for $150, and pocket the extra $150... much better than dropping an extra ~$400 to get a second GTX 580 to drive 3 non-gaming screens!
  4. What i meant is I do game, but the third monitor i'm looking to support, Isn't going to be for games. Just side programs.

Sorry kinda derped there.

so in no way would I drop a 580gtx :P
  5. BigMack70 said:
    You are correct, but if you don't need to play any games then you can sell your GTX 580 for ~$300, pick up a 7770 for $150, and pocket the extra $150... much better than dropping an extra ~$400 to get a second GTX 580 to drive 3 non-gaming screens!

You can run different models of cards to drive more displays without using SLI. You only need to match models for SLI.

That said, I have literally no experience here.
  6. willard said:
    You can run different models of cards to drive more displays without using SLI. You only need to match models for SLI.

That said, I have literally no experience here.

This being said, What would you recommend. As an Inexpensive card to support my third monitor.
  7. Any nvidia card will work for this. You can pick up a cheap 8800 gtx off ebay for $50 and hook up the 3rd or 4th monitor to that card.
  8. Would i have any problems running a 580gtx and a 8800gtx off a 750 PSU?
  9. faalin said:
    Any nvidia card will work for this. You can pick up a cheap 8800 gtx off ebay for $50 and hook up the 3rd or 4th monitor to that card.

I think this is right - I'm pretty sure you can drop in any other nvidia card if you only need it to drive a desktop monitor. I've never done it myself, but I don't think you need to add another 580 to do it.

If you want SLI 580s, any 2nd 580 will enable you to drive 3 screens.

A 750w PSU should be fine for 580+8800GTX
  10. It should be fine but if your worried you can drop down to a 8800gts. Really any nvidia card will do I have a old GeForce4 MX4000 card running as a second card to a 560ti in one of my work computers to get me a third monitor. The only thing to watch is what resolution the card can handle, if your wanting 3 monitors running 1080p then you need to make sure the second card can handle those settings.
  11. Thanks guys, I got all I needed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Support Monitors Graphics