Hard disk drive not detected in ibm server x3400 m3

sunyonline25

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
sir no any hard disk drive is detected in ibm x3400 m3 when trying to install windows server 2008 r2 standard. please help what should i do?

1. Get into BIOS. Look at boot sequence. Is the hard drive there? (i.e. can the BIOS see the hard drive?) if no post. assume yes.
2. Are you using a copy of windows server provided by ibm for the x3400 m3? IF so it will have all necessary device drivers. If not check IBM support page to see if you need to give win server 2008 the disk controller driver before it can find the disk.
3. Can you boot a stand alone diagnostic (google 'ultimate boot disk' or use equivalent)? If so can it see the drive ?

sunyonline25

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

no hdd in bios
yes I m using windows copy provided by ibm. they give only disc of ws2008 only.

No HDD in BIOS means no worry about windows, the PC is not finding the drive.

(1) Can you reseat the sata cable at both MB and at drive? Can you switch to a different power adapter? Can you see if the drive is recognized in a different computer ?

(2) open case, listen to hard drive. Power up PC. Does the drive spin up ?
-- do you have another computer you can use to test the drive ?

sunyonline25

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

sir I have checked the hdd on another computer just worked fine..
someone from other forum told me you need driver when u start installing windows os on ibm server by pressing f6 when system start.
driver should be on floppy drive
any idea about which driver I needed ?

Driver is only useful after the BIOS finds the disk. Your bios is not finding the disk. The problem surfaces before windows even boots, so it's not a windows problem or a driver problem.
"I have checked the hdd on another computer just worked fine.. " Good. Now try another SATA port in the x3400 (if necessary steal the port from the cd/dvd.) Does the drive now detect ? If no then play with the Sata port config in the bios. You can't go to the next step until the BIOS can find the disk.

Raj_3

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015