Sign in with
Your question

Small and Big problems after upgrade

Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2012 8:58:12 AM

Hello all,

I've just done a massive enough to upgrade my pc.

I took the motherboard MSI z68a-g43 (g3), a 128 GB SSD Crucial m4, the 2500k, the heatsink 412S and 8gb of ram corsair low profile.
I kept my sapphire 6850 video card, two hard drives of 250 GB each, one a Maxtor and Hitachi, Antec EarthWatts 650w power supply, a DVD burner and a Cooler Master Centurion case.

Yesterday I enjoyed mounting the components and I must admit that the cases are never big enough and that the heatsink was not that easy to install.
I installed windows on the SSD and I took 5 minutes to try out battlefield 3 and I must admit that seems to have gained several frames per second.

BUT after the upgrade I found 3 problems:

1. I connected the two hard drives and the DVD Burner with sata cables I already had to the sata 2 plugs on the motherboard (I had to give up a dvd player IDE) and I connected the SSD to ther SATA3 plug. Windows does not see the maxtor hd but only the SSD, the hd hitachi and a 1TB usb external hd.
I checked and the cables are connected properly, I also tried to connect the Maxtor to another SATA 2 plug on the board but nothing changed. Putting my hand on the maxtor, it seems to work (buzz).
I do not have "yellow exclamation points" of the system control panel and do not know what to do.
Also, I am not yet very practical with the new MSI bios click, I do not think that the BIOS detects neither the maxtor nor the SSD, despite the computer boots without problems.

2. The computer makes a low but unbearable noise. Hard to describe, so I made a video that I hope will give a better idea: http://youtu.be/shBzBYXOoPc
This is a kind of periodic noise, low tone, not very strong but that obviously disturbs, especially when watching movies. I was convinced it was the new heatsink, but I tried to unplug it and the noise continues. I tried to unplug the external HD and the loudspeakers but the noise continues.
I don't have a clue of ​​the origin of the noise. Here I really need your help.

3. After installing the catalyst drivers, the resolution of the video was completely wrong in the bios click on the monitor. I could see only a portion of both the MSI splash screen and BIOS so the bios was not usable. Here I understood only the source of the problem: when I connect my TV to the HDMI plug of the 6850, the bios, no one knows why, detects this as primary and shows a wrong resolution on the monitor. Unplugging the HDMI cable and rebooting the PC get the bios back to its proper resolution. I then found a solution to this problem, but if you have suggestions they are welcome.

I thank in advance anyone who will help me. I know I am in the right place :) 
May 22, 2012 10:23:26 AM

1) You'll need to investigate the BIOS. If it's booting from the SSD there will be information there regarding your storage configuration. Since the disk is from your old setup, you may need to go into disk management and "import" the foreign disk before Windows will see it.

2) You need to isolate the source of the noise.

3) Basic, generic drivers are used in BIOS and this is the cause of the incorrect resolution being shown before Windows boots.

Since it all seems to work nicely apart from these issues, well done.
May 22, 2012 10:33:07 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.

1) I will investigate for sure the BIOS. The fact that I did not find the SSD in the BIOS looks very strange since it is working normally. I'm new to the click bios interface and I have to find myself. In the boot order I didn't see the SSD anyhow. But what do you mean exactly with "importing"? Is is something I have to do in the same Windows feature were I can change the drives' letters?

2) Do you have any idea of what the source of the noise could be? Maybe the SSD itself? There are no moving parts (such as fans) in the new components I installed apart of the heatsink which is not the origin of the problem. Is the youtube video useful to hear what kind of noise I am talking about? It's a kind of vibration...

3) So you don't see any way to have the proper resolution in the bios leaving the HDMI cable plugged?

Thanks A LOT for your attention.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 10:45:42 AM

just to complete the information.
The hard drive Windows doesn't seem to find is a Maxtor STM3250318AS
The other hard drive is an Hitachi HDT725025VLA380
May 22, 2012 10:48:34 AM

albero78 said:
Thanks for your quick reply.

1) I will investigate for sure the BIOS. The fact that I did not find the SSD in the BIOS looks very strange since it is working normally. I'm new to the click bios interface and I have to find myself. In the boot order I didn't see the SSD anyhow. But what do you mean exactly with "importing"? Is is something I have to do in the same Windows feature were I can change the drives' letters?

2) Do you have any idea of what the source of the noise could be? Maybe the SSD itself? There are no moving parts (such as fans) in the new components I installed apart of the heatsink which is not the origin of the problem. Is the youtube video useful to hear what kind of noise I am talking about? It's a kind of vibration...

3) So you don't see any way to have the proper resolution in the bios leaving the HDMI cable plugged?

Thanks A LOT for your attention.

You'll just have to feel your way around the click BIOS. There will probably be two lists of hard drives - one list for your SATA3 6GB/s and another list for your SATA2 3GB/s. The drives you've plugged into the 6GB/s plugs will feature on the first list.

There's two ways of importing a foreign disk. You can either use "diskpart" in the command prompt, or you can use "disk management" in Windows.

Click Start and type in "Create and format hard disk partitions" or "Disk management".

The SSD has no moving parts, so it wouldn't make any noise unless there was a loose capacitor in which case it wouldn't work. The noise may be one of your old hard drives, or maybe one of the ball bearings on one of your old fans are going. Seems an odd time, I know, but check it out.

I wouldn't worry about the resolution problem with the BIOS for now, you can possibly fix that with a BIOS update but just use the monitor for now.
May 22, 2012 11:08:04 AM

Is the Maxtor IDE or is it SATA?

EDIT: Sorry I see that you had to sacrifice an IDE drive.
May 22, 2012 11:43:40 AM

Yes no IDE connector on the board, unfortunately...
May 22, 2012 11:59:32 AM

In the manual of the motherboard downloadable here (page 66):
http://it.msi.com/service/download/manual-17381.html
I can see that the board supports Intel RAID. Well: I don't have a clue of what Intel RAID is, but couldn't this be the reason of the problem with my Maxtor HDD?
May 22, 2012 12:41:28 PM

albero78 said:
In the manual of the motherboard downloadable here (page 66):
http://it.msi.com/service/download/manual-17381.html
I can see that the board supports Intel RAID. Well: I don't have a clue of what Intel RAID is, but couldn't this be the reason of the problem with my Maxtor HDD?

RAID is technology used to either stripe or mirror two drives (RAID 0 and RAID 1) or stripe and mirror 3 or more drives (RAID 5).

This results in either an increase in speed (RAID 0) or fault tolerance (RAID 1). Both cost twice as much to implement than normal configs. By default this is OFF. so don't worry about that.

Your problem is in the setup of the SATA connections.

Just to be clear, you have plugged your SSD into the 6GB/s port, and the other 2 HDDs are plugged into the SATAII ports?

May 22, 2012 12:51:38 PM

graemevermeulen said:

Your problem is in the setup of the SATA connections.

Just to be clear, you have plugged your SSD into the 6GB/s port, and the other 2 HDDs are plugged into the SATAII ports?

Yes. 2 HDD and DVD Durner are connected to sata2 ports (using 3/4) and the SSD is connected to the sata 3 port (using 1/2).
May 22, 2012 1:02:06 PM

This may be a possible solution.

Have you got your motherboard disk with you? It should have Intel AHCI drivers on there somewhere. If not we'll find the link to download them.

Install these AHCI drivers and reboot, what happens?
May 22, 2012 1:07:52 PM

At the moment I am at work and I will do it in the evening.
Anyhow the first thing I did after installing Windows was to put in the MSI CD and install all the drivers (I did not deselect anything)
May 22, 2012 1:16:29 PM

You might need to select these drivers separately, in my experience this was the case. I am at work now as well and will not have internet access tonight as my new flat is only being connected next week.
May 22, 2012 1:23:37 PM

graemevermeulen said:
You might need to select these drivers separately, in my experience this was the case. I am at work now as well and will not have internet access tonight as my new flat is only being connected next week.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Can you recommend me anyway a website where to download those drivers if I don't find them on the CD?
May 22, 2012 1:35:54 PM

Here we go:

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-G43--G3-.html#/?div=O...

You need to hover over "Downloads" and choose "Drivers". There's an AHCI driver in there, download and install it.

It's best practice to visit this site regularly to keep all drivers up-to-date just like you would your graphics card.

Hope you come right and will catch up tomorrow.
May 23, 2012 6:40:56 AM

Hi Graem,

so I'll tell you what I did yesterday.
I arrived at home and went to the bios (unplugging the TV HDMI cable to use it, as said) and indeed I found both the SSD and the MAxtor recognized by the BIOS.

Sorry for the blurry images, but on the left you can see the SATA ports (1,2,3,4,5,6) and on the right the drives and there are both the crucial m4 SSD and the Maxtor.
Anyhow I did not find them (both) in the boot priority (where you can drag and drop the drives).

So I went to windows and tried to install the drivers you suggested. I was not able in the first place (the installation procedure described in the readme was not the most user-friendly).
I then checked out the system informations in windows and I found out that the maxtor was normally recognized in the "control panel" --> "system" as you can see here

I then went to the the windows feature where you can assign letters to devices, and I finally saw that there was one drive without a letter and it was the maxtor!

In the first place I changed the letter of the hitachi from D to K and assigned D to the maxtor because I wanted it that way.
This caused a mess: the PC was giving a lot of errors related to the installation of AVAST antivirus and then Windows was not rebooting anymore.
I then cancel the changes and returned to a previous installation point (I don't know how is it called in English, like a "safe point") and assigned to the MAxtor this time an unused letter. I gave back D to the hitachi and now everything seem to work.

Concerning the noise: I closed the Computer and it seems I hear it less. I did not have the time to check yet but it sounds better.

The most important problem appear to be solved.
I wanted to thank you a lot for your help and I'll come back to you in case there are still some problem.

[Anyhow for the moment I'm not really impressed by the performances of the SSD: I expected a better improvement considering that this is my first SSD and before I had windows installed on the Hitachi]
May 23, 2012 8:46:34 AM

It all looks good, well done.

I must say that I do think the noise is either a case fan or a hard drive. If the fan is going it will start getting a lot louder, which I'm sure you will notice.

For future reference when installing hard drives - always refer to the user manual for the motherboard and plug the ports in starting from 1 through to the last one. Put the most important hard drive (boot drive) in the first slot, storage drive second slot, and so on.

With regards to a BIOS update to possibly fix the problem with the resolution on the TV, you'll find it on the same website where the drivers were.

SSDs are a mixed bag for me as well. I've got snappy windows performance but the price you pay per GB isn't justified in my opinion, it's more of a gimmick at the moment. When we have 2TB SSDs for a good price then we'll be talking!
May 23, 2012 9:41:36 AM

For the noise: I don't have any case fan: the only fans I have are the CPU heatsink one and the power supply one.

I didn't have any proper space for the SSD in the case so I mounted it in a strange way: it is flying above the other drives attached only to one screw. It might sound fragile and dangerous, but it's not. I thought in the beginning that peculiar installation could have been the origin of the noise, but since the SSD are virtually 100% silent...

Concerning the BIOS resolution: for the moment I'm not going to do anything. When I need to go in the bios I will just unplug the HDMI TV cable from the video card.

It still has to be understood why Windows recognized the Maxtor hdd and didn't assign automatically a device letter to it.
May 23, 2012 1:07:08 PM

Yes, quick question about the Maxtor drive. Is its file system FAT32 by any chance? Sometimes that causes problems.

I'm sure the SSD is fine, might be worth getting an adapter bracket soon though just for peace of mind. Might be one of the two fans or one of your hard drives (spinning noise maybe) making the noise.
May 23, 2012 1:14:08 PM

If I remember correctly the Maxtor is NFTS. The only FAT32 is the external 1TB hd.

I realize in mounting the new components in my old case Cooler Master Centurion that nowadays all those 5,25 slots (for DVD burners, etc...) are useless.
I'm not familiar with new, fancy cases but I hope they have less 5,25'' slots and more 3,5 and 2,5 to have also more space for the motherboard and especially the jungle of cables.
May 23, 2012 1:20:29 PM

I pride myself on cable management but I'm OCD so that's no surprise there. Getting a big case is good for managing cables, my case is especially good (Corsair Obsidian 800D).

You can get adapters if you search your favourite shop I'm sure you'll see some.

I'm racking my brain to figure out why it wasn't recognised, but if it's working now there's no need to find out other than out of curiosity! I will see what I can find.
May 23, 2012 1:26:00 PM

Ehi congratulations for your case: it looks cool.
I have no intention to change my case, but when it will happen I will for sure come back and ask you.

Don't squeeze your brain too much in trying to find out why Windows didn't assign a device letter! ;) 
May 23, 2012 1:34:25 PM

From what I've read, there are lots of reasons for it, but none of them will break the machine.

"Automount Enable" is a command you'd run from "Diskpart" in Command Prompt which apparently fixes the issue.

I want to upgrade very badly, but my girlfriend is 3 months pregnant and she will kill me if I go and blow baby money on myself haha.
!