tedds1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
i am running a fx 8150 cpu with a sabertooth 990x motherboard, i am currently using a gemini s524 cpu cooler in my coolermaster hafx case and my cpu at idle is 32-35 deg c. i will eventually over clock a little and am considering using the corsair h100 liquid cooler.
my question is, would it benefit me to keep the 220mm fans in on top of my case and use the radiator fans at the same time to get double the exhaust out of the top of my case? or would the fans on the radiator and the fans in the case work against one another?
thanks again

Solution
Before hardware was damaged the system would start looking for additional passive intakes. Usually they are there to be found.

Floor intakes are pretty common passive intakes, because its actually a bad idea to put fans in them.

A lot of things can work as a passive intake, though, like taking off one of those metal PCIE slot covers on the back of the case.

Anyway, as long as the pressure is not hugely negative, there is really nothing to worry about except over the long term. I don't think I have heard of anybody having to replace an intake fan because of damage caused by negative case pressure.

cl-scott

Honorable
As a general rule, if you can pull that hot air out of the case, so much the better, but if the two fans are not running at the same speed, then the physics would be that the two fans would slowly damage one another. The faster fan would always be trying to pull the slower fan along, and that would put additional strain on both motors. One running a bit faster than it was intended to do, and the other having to pull an extra load.

Now, admittedly this is probably more academic than anything, and case fans can be replaced pretty easily and with minimal expense, but having the radiator fan(s) go out could be a problem. You'll have to decide whether or not this is a risk you want to take.

Before hardware was damaged the system would start looking for additional passive intakes. Usually they are there to be found.

Floor intakes are pretty common passive intakes, because its actually a bad idea to put fans in them.

A lot of things can work as a passive intake, though, like taking off one of those metal PCIE slot covers on the back of the case.

Anyway, as long as the pressure is not hugely negative, there is really nothing to worry about except over the long term. I don't think I have heard of anybody having to replace an intake fan because of damage caused by negative case pressure.

Solution

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

Yes and no they won't work against each other.

tedds1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I have the 220mm fan in the front and on the side that are both intake, and the top and back are exhaust. I did try the cooler master 212 but it was actually a little worse than s524 I am using now.i really don't want to remove the top 220mm fans.