Sign in with
Your question

Which way should i face my heatsink up or down? Or just return it?

Last response: in CPUs
September 12, 2012 5:44:19 PM

Hey i bought the arctic freezer pro 7 rev 2 for my build to make it much cooler and quieter.

However it was not until i attempted to put on the heatsink did i realise that there was a problem in how my heatsink holder on my motherboard was built.

On my motherboard the two clamps are faced vertically. So if you drew a line between the two clamps that hold the heatsink, and extended that line to infinity it would hit the top and bottom of the case.

I have pictures to better explain my problem. (click on the spoiler box to see it)

Spoiler

Please bear the complexity of the picture, i know it looks daunting but just bear with me for a second.

The blue circles shows where the clamp is. This attaches to the heat sink. The clamps attach to the latches on the heatsink. One latch is on the front of the heatsink where the fan is, the other is on the back of the heatsink where the air comes out.

Spoiler

As you can see here. The latches are those weird things that stick out at the bottom also circled in blue. The pink square shows where the fan would be attached and the green arrow shows the airflow.

Now on the first picture you can see i have written FAN with an up arrow or down arrow. This is the two scenarios i can place my heatsink in, hence the title question, which way do i face it. I can either face the fan upwards so that it sucks air in while facing the PSU or face it down where it sucks air in while facing the GPU.

My worry is that it will
1) disturb the flow of air
2) disturb the PSU

To better explain, i feel it will disturb the flow of air and disturb the psu both at once. If i face it up it has to fight with the psu for air. Hot air will be blown downwards towards the PSU.

If i face it downwards it will be sucking air in okay but will be blowing hot air into the PSU.

What do you think i should do, and is it worth even changing to this after market cooler considering the pickle i am in right now?

Thank you

More about : face heatsink return

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 11:40:22 PM

pkhamidar2com said:
Hey i bought the arctic freezer pro 7 rev 2 for my build to make it much cooler and quieter.

However it was not until i attempted to put on the heatsink did i realise that there was a problem in how my heatsink holder on my motherboard was built.

On my motherboard the two clamps are faced vertically. So if you drew a line between the two clamps that hold the heatsink, and extended that line to infinity it would hit the top and bottom of the case.

I have pictures to better explain my problem. (click on the spoiler box to see it)

Please bear the complexity of the picture, i know it looks daunting but just bear with me for a second.

The blue circles shows where the clamp is. This attaches to the heat sink. The clamps attach to the latches on the heatsink. One latch is on the front of the heatsink where the fan is, the other is on the back of the heatsink where the air comes out.

Spoiler
http://screenshooter.net/data/uploads/tl/ls/urzi.jpg

As you can see here. The latches are those weird things that stick out at the bottom also circled in blue. The pink square shows where the fan would be attached and the green arrow shows the airflow.

Now on the first picture you can see i have written FAN with an up arrow or down arrow. This is the two scenarios i can place my heatsink in, hence the title question, which way do i face it. I can either face the fan upwards so that it sucks air in while facing the PSU or face it down where it sucks air in while facing the GPU.

My worry is that it will
1) disturb the flow of air
2) disturb the PSU

To better explain, i feel it will disturb the flow of air and disturb the psu both at once. If i face it up it has to fight with the psu for air. Hot air will be blown downwards towards the PSU.

If i face it downwards it will be sucking air in okay but will be blowing hot air into the PSU.

What do you think i should do, and is it worth even changing to this after market cooler considering the pickle i am in right now?

Thank you

You should just try mounting the new heatsink in the direction that's correct for the clamp and install the fan on the side of the heatsink. Then check your temps. I use coretemp. Any range from 40-65c is ok. I live in south Texas, so I don't expect low temps unless I run the a/c.
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2012 12:06:43 AM

point the fan towards the psu. power supplies are resilient to heat and shouldn't bother it much, especially corsair.
Related resources
September 16, 2012 1:49:50 AM

As someone who has owned the same HSF, the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2, I would just get another HSF. Honestly, it's total garbage. I saw no decrease in temps over a stock fan.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 5:41:49 AM

Firstly,poor choice of cooler. It isn't awesome, but it'll do.
Point it towards the psu, that's the way to go. The psu will live. You worry too much.
!